TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Massive California power outages may begin early Wednesday

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by MULTIZ321, Oct 8, 2019.

1. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    You need solar and a storage battery (not cheap).

2. WVBaker

WVBaker TUG Member

3. klpca

Resorts Owned:
    5th largest economy in the world. Jobs. Cutting edge technology. Plus for some of us, this is home where we were born and raised, and where our families live. It's not perfect, but then no place is. But I will say, our weather is pretty nice. Right now it's 80 degrees, with crystal blue skies (Southern Ca).

jbteal, CalGalTraveler, LisaH and 3 others like this.
  4. klpca

Resorts Owned:
    Why do these threads turn into a critique of CA when you don't live here, and apparently some haven't even visited? I don't understand why people care so much about something that doesn't affect you and I wish that I understood the reason. Honestly. Anyway if this doesn't seem like a place where you would like to live, please don't because it really is kind of crowded in the urban areas. :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    JudiZ, LisaH, PcflEZFlng and 4 others like this.
  5. klpca

Resorts Owned:
    Btw for the past 5 years or so, SDGE has been replacing wood towers with metal ones in our back country. There are things that the power companies can and should do to prevent fires. I also believe that they have installed equipment that measures wind and humidity to help prevent unnecessary shut downs.

6. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
  7. 10spro

10spro TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas I 2BR
    I live in Napa, power went out Tuesday night, just coming back now on Thursday afternoon. Yes I lost some items in the refrigerator, but compared to the 2017 wildfire that destroyed so much, it's an inconvenience that we have to live with for now. Most resorts, restaurants and wineries were prepared and few were closed, got to keep tourism going, however, unfortunately, many locals who live here could not go to work and will not be paid for those days.

SteelerGal, presley and klpca like this.
  8. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    Speaking of 5th largest economy, check out Rotten on Netflix, the avocado episode was fascinating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

klpca likes this.
  9. rhonda

rhonda TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades, WinPointVIP
    SDG&E's websites are now my favorite weather pages for local conditions. Truly micro-climate level metering!

Overview: https://sdgeweather.com
    List of stations with current conditions: https://weather.sdgeweather.com
    Click on any station for more info and forecast for that specific location. Fun and informative!

klpca likes this.
  10. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Without going into my life history, I'll say sorry, I hate SDG&E which is my power company. So, pretty much anything they do, pisses me off. I know people affected by this and how long it takes small businesses to recover from having to miss a couple days of business. It takes months.

Even though all of this sucks, everyone directly affected that I have spoken to, prefers this to having another major fire. At the end of the day, we are truly blessed to live in a place like this with our weather, conveniences, access to clean water/healthcare, beautiful scenery, the list goes on and on for things that we can be grateful for when living here. No matter what happens to me in California, I know that I am still considerably better off than 90% of the world's population and I'd rather think about that than how I have been inconvenienced in my very nice life.

Ken555, klpca and rhonda like this.
  11. rhonda

rhonda TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades, WinPointVIP
    @presley, the websites I mentioned are, likely, the only thing I've ever liked from SDG&E. I'm often quite frustrated and angry with them. I was convinced, last year during a 5-day outage in (unexpected) calm weather, that I was gonna get off their service as quickly as possible. I'm still hunting for the right mix of solar+battery+management app. Not quite there yet ...

Edited to add: Why can they not tell me via text or voice mail of an expected outage? Instead, they use text and voice mail to tell me to watch my snail mail. Ugh. They know their plan ... just tell me via the text message rather than referring me to paper mail that will likely reach me in days following the outage. Grrr.

klpca, SteelerGal and presley like this.
  12. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

13. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

Our house was out of power when we woke up yesterday, the first day after returning home from our French Polynesian trip which was amazing. DH manually opened the garage door and parked my car on the drive way then went to work. Unfortunately I didn’t charge up my phone, portable chargers and laptop (ran out of juice on the airplane), so I went to a nearby Starbucks and hankered down there until 2 pm when power came back. It’s inconvenient but we manage. I’m OK if this indeed helps with minimizing wildfire. Our friends in East Bay were affected by a fast spreading wildfire and had to evacuate yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    klpca likes this.
  14. JudiZ

JudiZ TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

klpca, I am probably not as sensitive to it as you are, but I will be completely honest with you, I have been to California many times (always as a visitor of friends or tourist) and I love the place - north to south. I have no idea why people wonder why you live there; I think it's obvious. I don't want to live there, but it is all of the beautiful things you said. I live in NH where it snows, has freezing rain, mud season and black flies. Our family in North Carolina says, "why?" I say because there is more to any one place than weather. I love where I live. I love the people, the culture and the natural beauty of my state. We have a world class city an hour and a half away (Boston) with medical facilities recognized world wide, museums and theatre, restaurants and food markets on an urban scale.

We live in a beautiful and diverse nation and I, for one, embrace the differences. Makes it more fun to travel (no passport needed if you don't want) and allows us to all to live in the places we love (if we can and want to).

Judi

klpca likes this.
  15. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

We live in the outskirts of a Bay Area suburb near the hills and the PG&E maps indicated that we had a high probability of blackout. Fortunately, though, our electricity was not disrupted. Most likely because we weren't hit with high winds.

I absolutely love our neighborhood, the weather, our home, and our suburban community. It's 70 degrees and sunny today (same as yesterday and the day before). Our family is in Calif. What we don't like: Traffic, High property taxes, too many and complex government regulations for a small business like ours (glad I will be retiring in a few years). Although we have homeless ppl in our suburb, it's about the same number you would find anywhere else in the nation.

We have considered downsizing to Nevada when we retire to lower taxes, but so far we haven't found a community or consistent weather that compares. I keep pinching myself on how fortunate we are.

klpca likes this.
  16. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  17. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

This is very inconvenient but would rather have safety than the devastating fires and weeks of "nuclear winter" smoke from last year.

Ironically this may be the ultimate incentive to move people to install battery with solar and dump PG&E altogether.

klpca likes this.
  18. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Maybe, California needs to invest in a wind tunnel system.

19. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Our dd lives in Silicon Valley. So far they have not been personally impacted, but she was sharing horror stories of areas around them. She said they have been told these power outages could go on for 10 years!

20. Ralph Sir Edward

Ralph Sir Edward TUG Member

Most of California is a fire ecology. Always has been (at least for the last few million years). Like living in a flood plain, the question is not if, but when. . . .

21. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    Wind tunnel? lol you mean like everything east of us sucks so bad it creates an opportunity to drive turbine fans. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

22. WVBaker

WVBaker TUG Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...off-northern-california-wildifres/2449314001/

"PG&E, however, defends the outages as crucial to the safety of its customers. The company already has filed for bankruptcy after being held liable for tens of billions of dollars in damages resulting from deadly wildfires blamed on downed power lines."

"The utility said authorities have determined more than half of PG&E’s 70,000-square-mile service area in Northern and Central California have a high fire threat, given dry grasses and the high volume of dead and dying trees. The state’s high-risk areas have tripled in size in seven years, the statement said."

"Southern California has not been spared the wildfire conditions, and firefighters have been conducting fierce battles in recent days to protect homes. Southern California Edison said it was monitoring conditions but had no immediate plans to cut power."

As one comment notes.
    "... first they raise the price of gasoline so high people buy electric vehicles; then they shut the power off." :rolleyes:

23. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
  24. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

The majority of European cities are using some form of wind tunnels to provide electricity to their cities.

Rolltydr likes this.
  25. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned: