• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten for a week

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
My family (wife and two young children) are staying for a week at Massanutten for a week this summer. we are staying in Eagle trace, which would not have been my choice, but it is a free RCI trip given to us so free is free. Are there any must do's while we are there.

Are the amenities between the several Massanutten resorts available no matter which one you are staying in? If so, is the distance between the resorts easy to move between?

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most amenities are available to all the resorts...there are two separate indoor pools for all. Waterpark, Two Golf Courses and Skiing (in season) cost extra. Shenandoah National Park is nearby (extra). Harrisonburg is close by (JMU has lots of activities)...several battlefields and caves are nearby. It is a beautiful area. Massanutten just instituted a Resort Fee (various RCI website says contact resort). Eagle Trace units are nice enough especially if you are going to be out and about.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My list

nightime shows. Always good

I think they call it a welcome thing now....used to be the craft fair. Taste some beer and wine and get some snacks

Hike the ridge. Either direction.

Other than that we hike more and mountain bike. The biking on the western slope is spectacular. If you want any specific recommendations on this let me know.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Are the amenities between the several Massanutten resorts available no matter which one you are staying in? If so, is the distance between the resorts easy to move between?

Unless you really enjoy walking or biking steep areas, a car is a must to navigate around the resort. Mountainside is the only resort that is different than the others in terms of how access works.

quhines

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview (RCI Points)
Vacation Village @Weston (RCI Points)
HGVC Tuscany
We just stayed for a week in Massanutten at Eagle Trace. While it is not great, the accommodation is serviceable. All in all it was a pretty good week. It was Spring Break so it was crowded. We did get a chance to enjoy both of the indoor Pools, and the Water Park. Also got a chance to visiting the Petting Zoo, and get a Pony Ride. Eagle Trace is near the Family Adventure Center (within walking distance) for the Tubing, Zip Line, and Bounce House, Free Fall Jump, and the Kid Ropes Course. The 50 lb weight limit for the Kids Ropes course and Free Fall Jump ruined it for my child, but hopefully by next visit he should be there.

BobDE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
I believe that Massanutten sits on 7,000 acres. A car is definitely needed.

There are more things to do on and off the resort than you would ever have time to do. Visit their website for information about both. Only you can decide which would be interesting and fun for your family.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
Thanks for all the suggestions. I spent some time on the website getting an idea of what amenities I want to make use of. mostly looking for all the kid's activities available. I saw that they have fishing options. any recommendations on places to fish on site at any of the resorts?

We did get a chance to enjoy both of the indoor Pools, and the Water Park.

Which pool would you recommend? I will have a 5-year-old and a 9-year-old.

quhines

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview (RCI Points)
Vacation Village @Weston (RCI Points)
HGVC Tuscany
I would recommend the main pool area about the Woodstone Check in Building. The entire pool has a depth of 5ft. The pool at the Recreation Center (Near Campfire Grill) has a deep end for diving with a depth of 12ft. Both were crowded during our week.

We also got a chance visit Grand Caverns in Grottoes, VA for a tour. We went a small hike off of Skyline Drive over in the Shenandoah National Park area that was pretty cool as well.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Don't bother with fishing on the resort. We only caught teeny tiny fish, and it's expensive to get a permit for there.

Monticello is GREAT. Everyone loved it. (I have some Hamilton fans...so seeing information about a contemporary was amazing!) Not sure which direction you're coming from...but we stopped at Gettysburg on the way. (Coming from New England.)

So much to see, especially if you are history buff!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Do any of the resorts have handicapped units? Units without stairs?

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
Do any of the resorts have handicapped units? Units without stairs?
I stayed in a Woodstone handicap unit, but didn't want as I like the top floor. These are down in the valley as are the one story Regal Vistas and they both are the newest built.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed two different times and visited wonderful Civil War sites, the historic places mentioned, did a cave tour, and also drove to Frediricksburg and surrounding area to see civil war sites. We also drove along the mountain top trail.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I stayed in a Woodstone handicap unit, but didn't want as I like the top floor. These are down in the valley as are the one story Regal Vistas and they both are the newest built.

Thanks! Hmmm...we just spent Christmas renting a cottage in the valley near Asheville, NC. Mother and hubby complained of my choice not having views off the side of a mountain. Yet Mother can't climb more than four steps max holding on to a handrail and painfully slow at that. We have to have at least one bedroom on the main floor and handicapped bathroom would also be best for her. From the photos I've seen most higher up have tall stairs going into them and state that it is multiple story living with stairs. Do they any buildings with views that have elevators up to units?

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
There are no elevators. I think maybe the Summit would be the best. These are the newest of the units on top of the mountain and since they are built on a slope usually either the top unit (full kitchen-with oven) or lower unit (partial kitchen-no oven but grill on the deck) is a straight walk in with few or any steps. Massanutten is such a large place with so many units, I have found them to be helpful and flexible about assigning units. Although I don't think they assign the unit until you check in, I would still call them about 10 days before check in to ask for a handicap unit with a view. The view will be a little different as the area is built inside a "bowl" formed by the mountain's ridge, so you will be looking across at the other side of the bowl.
While I use to go there a lot to ski, I owned at Mountainside Villas at one time, I'm boycotting them now because of the high mandatory fee they charge. From their RCI listing:

"Service fee is 10.95 to 76.65 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Applies to all 2019 guests. Based on nights & unit sides confirmed. Contact resort for details."

These units are almost always available so I wouldn't pay more than last call prices for them.
page_395_massanutten-resort-map-2019-website.jpg

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are no elevators. I think maybe the Summit would be the best. These are the newest of the units on top of the mountain and since they are built on a slope usually either the top unit (full kitchen-with oven) or lower unit (partial kitchen-no oven but grill on the deck) is a straight walk in with few or any steps. Massanutten is such a large place with so many units, I have found them to be helpful and flexible about assigning units. Although I don't think they assign the unit until you check in, I would still call them about 10 days before check in to ask for a handicap unit with a view. The view will be a little different as the area is built inside a "bowl" formed by the mountain's ridge, so you will be looking across at the other side of the bowl.
While I use to go there a lot to ski, I owned at Mountainside Villas at one time, I'm boycotting them now because of the high mandatory fee they charge. From their RCI listing:

"Service fee is 10.95 to 76.65 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Applies to all 2019 guests. Based on nights & unit sides confirmed. Contact resort for details."

Thank you! I read a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor and that extra service fee at check-in is a frequent complaint. I've also read that some of the units are very dated and also of noise between floors and walls. Hubby is from Luray, VA, and was not aware of Massanutten Resort though we've driven over those mountains through Elkmont many times. We usually stay at Bluegreen's Shenandoah Crossing but thought we'd try something new. Bluegreen hasn't been very helpful in the past placing us in a cabin with lower steps, especially since we usually go via Bonus Time. Hubby and I loved staying in their handicapped two bedroom/two bath yurt. It's actually two yurts on a deck but separated just enough that my mother would be frightened to stay in one alone. Decisions. Decisions.

BobDE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
I believe that units 241 and 242 at The Summit at Sunrise on Garmish Circle were converted to be handicap units with ramps and other necessities. Some other units have MANY steps. I would call right away if you have special needs.