• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten 1 in 4 rule--is that for every section of Massanutten?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm about to make a reservation at Regal Vistas, and I see the 1 in 4 rule. Is that 1 in 4 for every single section of Massanutten? Or is it just for Regal Vistas? I suspect it's for every section.

Edited to add: This is through RCI Weeks.

Thanks!

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
That restriction applies to non-owner RCI trades for all the developments there except for Mountainside Villas. However, each development is treated separately for application of the restriction. So if you stay in Regal Vistas, you have to wait four years to go back to it ... but you can go to Woodstone the next year without a problem.

Disclaimer: I am a Woodstone owner, live a couple of hours away, and have researched and stayed there enough that I am confident in my response.

I'm about to make a reservation at Regal Vistas, and I see the 1 in 4 rule. Is that 1 in 4 for every single section of Massanutten? Or is it just for Regal Vistas? I suspect it's for every section.

Edited to add: This is through RCI Weeks.

Thanks!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! So if I wanted to go back next year, I can stay in any section except Regal Vistas. And if I were to stay in Woodstone next year, then the third year I could stay anywhere other than Regal Vistas or Woodstone?

I'm not planning to visit every year, just want to be clear about what I can do.

Thanks for your help!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
yes. That is the way they have been doing it for the last several years- separate 1 in 4 for each section not as a resort as a whole. That could change. Orange Lake changed this year to make the 1 in 4 apply to all of the sections. I don't think Massanutten is going to do this because they have so much inventory but it could happen.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
this ONE thing to remember about the "mass o nutten" area is as an exchanger you may, most likely, be charge a Resort Fee of some $100 for a week to "cover the cost of wifi, pools, etc." according to reports from others.

THE reason I will NOT return to the area.. it was fun while it lasted,, but greed is the king now, not the customer or exchanger. (which will result in less opportunity to sell units)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Massanutten Mountainside Villas (silver crown) section does not charge the resort fee. The resort fee for the other sections is $76.75 per lockoff section if you do not own at Massanutten and $55.65 for Massanutten owners.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up! I was vaguely aware of the resort fee. I'm getting the week for my daughter and son-in-law, and I told them they would get to pay that. They still want to go.

I wish that included a couple of admissions to the water park!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The other way around one in four is you can buy an “RCI Last Call” week and that does not count toward the one in four rule there. If you are willing to wait until the last several weeks (any time except for very few truly peak weeks), there are almost always a lot of “last call” deals available.

Thanks! So if I wanted to go back next year, I can stay in any section except Regal Vistas. And if I were to stay in Woodstone next year, then the third year I could stay anywhere other than Regal Vistas or Woodstone?

I'm not planning to visit every year, just want to be clear about what I can do.

Thanks for your help!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other way around one in four is you can buy an “RCI Last Call” week and that does not count toward the one in four rule there. If you are willing to wait until the last several weeks (any time except for very few truly peak weeks), there are almost always a lot of “last call” deals available.

Aha. Last Call, but not an RCI rental? If you rented from RCI, the 1 in 4 would still apply?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last call and extra vacations are both rci rentals. The 1 in 4 would not apply. Regal Vista rentals are sometimes on the high side through rci. Woodstone and Summit rentals can be very close to just the normal exchange cost when one of the frequent sales as long as it isn't mid summer.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
this ONE thing to remember about the "mass o nutten" area is as an exchanger you may, most likely, be charge a Resort Fee of some $100 for a week to "cover the cost of wifi, pools, etc." according to reports from others.

THE reason I will NOT return to the area.. it was fun while it lasted,, but greed is the king now, not the customer or exchanger. (which will result in less opportunity to sell units)
There are alot of resorts now charging amenities fees , it is the growing thing to make more $$$$ sad but true..just like the pitch " switch to points, look at the flexibility" and the resorts charge you a separate cleaning fee on Pts exchanges RIP off...keep your weeks accounts..

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@tschwa2 and I have both pointed out that Massanutten owners are exempted from the 1 in 4 restriction. That is the policy, but it may not work that smoothly in the RCI online system. I own Woodstone, but booked a ski week at Summit earlier this year (discounted to 4700 points). The RCI website tells me after that stay the 1 in 4 restriction applies to me in relation to Summit and will not let me browse availability. However, when I called the RCI Vacation Village number, I was told they could override the system and book the resort for me. I didn’t actually do it, but they assured me they would as a matter of routine policy.