• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanuten -- Visiting in late spring -- enough to do?

May mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi gang, (been a long time since I've posted.)

Thinking of doing a trip to Massanuten in May/June with a 4 year old. Is there really enough to do in a week to keep her entertained and me sane? It seems that they offer swimming lessons each morning, is that still the case? And I know about the water park and the pools. Is there any horseback riding nearby? How close is Luray Caverns? The last time we were there w/o kids, there was no decent shopping in the nearby town or very many restaurants, so what do people do? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at their website.

http://www.massresort.com/

There are a ton of classes and activities for kids. Horseback riding is available down by Woodstone. This is a very kid friendly resort.

Have fun!

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there around Christmas time. We had a big group of kids from 3 to 13. I had to say the older kids enjoyed more activities. You can download the activity list from the web site. There are two files, one for the schedule and one for savings.

Our little ones enjoyed the trip to the Caverns, magic show, pony ride, pool and water park. Mostly, they enjoyed having lots of bigger kids around. The pony ride was very cute. But it was just a walk in front of the barn yard. Did not take more than 5 minutes.

You should have at least a few beautiful days in April. We had two days in the upper 60s. It was great just to walk around and play soccer outside. They also have many play grounds.

Shopping is only 15 minutes away. Caverns (the one on activity card, not sure if it is Luray Caverns) maybe 45 minutes? I am not really sure. I did not go. It took the kids a whole afternoon. You have to join a group tour there. They light a section at a time so you can not exit by yourself.

bookworm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luray Caverns was spectacular. My kids (5,7) enjoyed it immensely. I think it was 30 minutes or less. In my opinion, June is about the best time to go - not too humid yet but quite warm/hot. They open the Mountainside outdoor pool mid June and the view from there is fantastic. I think the other outdoor pool at Woodstone opens around May long weekend - also a great spot. Outdoor swimming is great that time of year most days. If you enjoy the outdoors, walking along the ridge trail is fun - our kids loved it. They also liked the outdoor kids activities (ie. waterless tubes down the mountain, mini golf, go karts, all those bouncy things, etc. Beware, extra cost for many things.) They do have some fun kids crafts - though I always like buying a few things at Walmart before we go eg. bead necklaces, etc. which they can do in the room. We've gone in late may and mid-late June and it was our favorite season. Give the activities people a call and check the website for details.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, day trip to Kings Dominion, save $ on going to the waterpark at Massenutten, as Kings Dominion offers more for less $$.

May mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) Thanks for the responses. I changed my dates and booked for late summer at the Summit. I'm sure the resort will be much busier than in May but it is the better time for us to go. Thanks again.!