• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Several others that my wife and I like:

http://www.bomborasgrille.com

http://www.cravebydanielshhi.com/

Both are in Coligny, however, since I am a local over 70 feel free to ignore me.

Would never do that Steve, my good buddy, but honestly you look 55, so naturally .......well, never mind.

The point in answering Old Hickory's specific question was that my previous references were to all "locals", not any one age demographic (naturally the most important group of all, the 70-somethings).

Tell me, Steve---I am interested-----where do you like to dine when you go out? In addition to the two already mentioned, give me 3 or 4 more "most-frequented places". You probably have much more valuable information than I do.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
ROFL!
Touche, Steve.
Crave looks awesome and I've never even noticed it on our many visits to HH. We have never even stumbled across it while at Cologny! Will have to try it next time.

It's easy to miss, Brian. It's across the street from Coligny proper, on the "beach side" of North Forest Beach Drive, as shown in the aerial view below. We enjoyed Daniel's but haven't been to Crave yet, but it's on the list to visit.
It will be "different", but that's a good thing...Daniel's was pleasantly different too.

https://goo.gl/maps/uKZeBdpGmLK2

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I'm sort of a local, having been a part-time resident for 20+ years and planning to be more full time next year.

Just wanted to chime in for the over 70 crowd even though I'm about 20 years shy of that category. During the summer I do water aerobics at SPCC and have often said that I get the BEST restaurant recs from the 80yo women in the class. That's all we do...exercise and talk about the latest restaurants! So many times I'll hear about a place, check it out and love it, and a few months later the same place is finally showing up on TS boards. Think I'll raise a toast tonight to the palettes of those wonderful women in all their wisdom.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we're dining out at Hilton Head (pretty much every evening when we're there), the typical crowd we run into includes the 20-somethings up to the 60-somethings. The 70-somethings probably have their favorite spots too, but mainly I'm not gearing that "locals" reference to them.

I meant nothing bad about any demographic. And you answered my question.

Thanks!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I meant nothing bad about any demographic. And you answered my question.

Thanks!

I knew you didn't, but it just had the potential to be a loaded question, so I tried to dance around it and STILL stepped in it. ;)

I'm actually a much better dancer than that, usually.

I'd love to hear more from the 80+ crowd as to their restaurant preferences. I wonder if Beachclubmum remembers some of those recommendations.......there are often hidden gems around every street corner, and sometimes it's pure dumb luck to find out about them.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we just want something near where we live we go to Street Meet. It is definitely not fancy. We were told by a server at at Guissepis that that's where staff go to eat after their restaurants close. Lots of locals

http://www.streetmeethhi.com/

Next door is Bella Italia. Reasonably priced not fancy ok to good food.

In the same Port Royal Shopping Center is a Reily's, which I don't care for.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
jme,

Most of my favorites have already been listed in this thread. Will add an off island favorite though....Sgt White's right outside of Beaufort. Worth a drive in and of itself, or a great place to plan around if making the trek to Charleston.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
When we just want something near where we live we go to Street Meet. It is definitely not fancy. We were told by a server at at Guissepis that that's where staff go to eat after their restaurants close. Lots of locals

http://www.streetmeethhi.com/

Next door is Bella Italia. Reasonably priced not fancy ok to good food.

In the same Port Royal Shopping Center is a Reily's, which I don't care for.

Steve
Thanks for the tip about Street Meet. looks great. Will def check it out next time I'm in HH.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
jme,

Most of my favorites have already been listed in this thread. Will add an off island favorite though....Sgt White's right outside of Beaufort. Worth a drive in and of itself, or a great place to plan around if making the trek to Charleston.

+1 for Sgt White.

Note that it is a bbq place. Great homemade sides.

Limited hours. M-F lunch (11-3) only. Semper Fi.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
On HHI this week and have been eating our way through the week using Marty's (jme) restaurant guide as our "food bible".

So far dinners at Frankie Bones (a must return spot every year), May River Grill (a first for us, but could be our new go to favorite...all I can say is WOW.....a specials list equally as varied as the menu itself....beyond impressive, and food was delish!!!) and OMBRA Cucina Rustica (great Italian) and call ahead seating set for Skull Creek Boathouse tomorrow. Not a bad start to the week. :D

Lunches so far at Mellow Mushroom (can't beat their design your own pizza) and today at Coast, outdoor on veranda overlooking the ocean. Had the Salmon BLT at Coast, and I must say, I believe it was the best sandwich I have ever had...and I've had a lot of sandwiches in my lifetime!!!

More great meals to come....thanks Marty for your continued diligence in maintaining your list.

Marty, one question.... why no Kilwin's on your Ice Cream spot listing. Its in the Shelter Cove plaza and they have some pretty tasty ice cream.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
On HHI this week and have been eating our way through the week using Marty's (jme) restaurant guide as our "food bible".

So far dinners at Frankie Bones (a must return spot every year), May River Grill (a first for us, but could be our new go to favorite...all I can say is WOW.....a specials list equally as varied as the menu itself....beyond impressive, and food was delish!!!) and OMBRA Cucina Rustica (great Italian) and call ahead seating set for Skull Creek Boathouse tomorrow. Not a bad start to the week. :D

Lunches so far at Mellow Mushroom (can't beat their design your own pizza) and today at Coast, outdoor on veranda overlooking the ocean. Had the Salmon BLT at Coast, and I must say, I believe it was the best sandwich I have ever had...and I've had a lot of sandwiches in my lifetime!!!
More great meals to come....thanks Marty for your continued diligence in maintaining your list.
Marty, one question.... why no Kilwin's on your Ice Cream spot listing. Its in the Shelter Cove plaza and they have some pretty tasty ice cream.

Hmmm, not sure, just overlooked it. We've been there, but it's been a while. I'll have to run by again & check it out. And btw, I need to add a couple of new restaurants onto the list....just haven't bothered Susan (SueDonJ) yet about that---she's the one who has to help me accomplish that (thank you Susan).

And THANK YOU, Todd, for the plug-----you just mentioned four of our "best" favorite spots----Frankie Bones, May River Grill, Ombra Cucina Rustica, Skull Creek-----as we have quite a few others as well.
Glad you enjoyed them, they never disappoint.

I just sent you a PM----we decided a few days ago to visit HH this coming weekend.
Kind of a last-minute thing, and we can't wait. Already have my dinner reservations for the three nights.
...and I'll be running by GO to see what's up at the poolside bar, etc.
I appreciate your post about the new plans. Didn't know about that.

(In keeping with Prince's precedent, I'll hereby
refer to it as "The Bar Formerly Known As Pool Bar Jim's"). :)
And whenever I'm there, I'll privately and inconspicuously raise my glass
to my friend Jim Lisenby. Bless you, Jim.

Hope the weather will be decent.....a little overcast is never bad,
and at least it will be a bit cooler than when we were there in June.

Enjoy your week.

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Consider this my annual "if you haven't gone to Pazzo yet, you're missing out on phenomenal Italian food" post in this thread.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Consider this my annual "if you haven't gone to Pazzo yet, you're missing out on phenomenal Italian food" post in this thread.

lots to do!!!....I'll try Pazzo as soon as I can (not this weekend), as well as a new cafe I learned about called Relish Cafe....(somewhere over near Marley's/Mellow Mushroom/Harris Teeter/Tratoria Divina---all in the Office Park Road shopping center. Looks modern, creative, interesting...has breakfast/brunch, lunch, dinner.
http://www.relishcafehhi.com/

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
lots to do!!!....I'll try Pazzo as soon as I can (not this weekend), as well as a new cafe I learned about called Relish Cafe....(somewhere over near Marley's/Mellow Mushroom/Harris Teeter/Tratoria Divina---all in the Office Park Road shopping center. Looks modern, creative, interesting...has breakfast/brunch, lunch, dinner.
http://www.relishcafehhi.com/

I tried the Relish Café today as it was lunch time when we were biking in that area. It was less than impressive. The menu looked interesting enough, but the food was just average. Its very small and nothing special inside, and about 3 or 4 tables out front, and the service was very poor. Server had a foreign accent and his use of English was a bit hard to understand at times, and his tableside manner left a lot to be desired. We sat outside, and 2 older ladies had sat down at the table next to us and he comes out and says "Are you just sitting here or do you plan to eat?". Not the most hospitable approach to customer service for sure.

Also, it sits between sales locations (a welcome center and the pit) for Palmera Vacation Club, so it was a constant flow of timeshare sales folks and their marks walking back and forth in front of our outside tables the entire meal. Can't say I will be returning.

On the flip side, we had dinner tonight at the Ocean Lounge, the upstairs lounge at the Coast (at Sea Pines Beach Club). It was Jazz night in the lounge, which was fully reserved (hostess says you need to book Tues & Thurs nights several days ahead if you want to get a table in the lounge for Jazz night which starts at 8pm)....but we were able to eat on the half circle deck on the front of the lounge. It had amazing views, especially as the sun was going down, and the food was great. Same menu as the Coast restaurant down below, and since it was dinner, I resited getting the Salmon BLT (see my post above) and instead got the Lobster and Shrimp Pasta, and at the risk of you thinking I am a partial owner of the place, it was the best pasta dish I have ever had. Amazing. My wife had the Chicken Parm which was uniquely prepared and my wife said it was delish as well.

Oh...and the Key Lime Trifle for dessert was pretty tasty as well. Key Lime, Graham Cracker, Coconut and Marshmallow all mixed together in a bowl....yummmm.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
FYI, I got an email from Sea Grass Grille with a current promotion, "Purchase $100 in gift certificates and receive a Free $20 gift card. *Restrictions apply. Ends 12/23/16*"

[Marty, hope you don't mind I changed your thread title because it took me a while to find it in the sea of search hits.]

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
FYI, I got an email from Sea Grass Grille with a current promotion, "Purchase $100 in gift certificates and receive a Free $20 gift card. *Restrictions apply. Ends 12/23/16*"

[Marty, hope you don't mind I changed your thread title because it took me a while to find it in the sea of search hits.]

not at all, Susan, you're the boss. :)
in fact I need to tweak a few things myself when I have time....some new additions and adjusted comments. Thx!

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I tried the Relish Café today as it was lunch time when we were biking in that area. It was less than impressive. The menu looked interesting enough, but the food was just average. Its very small and nothing special inside, and about 3 or 4 tables out front, and the service was very poor. Server had a foreign accent and his use of English was a bit hard to understand at times, and his tableside manner left a lot to be desired. We sat outside, and 2 older ladies had sat down at the table next to us and he comes out and says "Are you just sitting here or do you plan to eat?". Not the most hospitable approach to customer service for sure.

Also, it sits between sales locations (a welcome center and the pit) for Palmera Vacation Club, so it was a constant flow of timeshare sales folks and their marks walking back and forth in front of our outside tables the entire meal. Can't say I will be returning.

On the flip side, we had dinner tonight at the Ocean Lounge, the upstairs lounge at the Coast (at Sea Pines Beach Club). It was Jazz night in the lounge, which was fully reserved (hostess says you need to book Tues & Thurs nights several days ahead if you want to get a table in the lounge for Jazz night which starts at 8pm)....but we were able to eat on the half circle deck on the front of the lounge. It had amazing views, especially as the sun was going down, and the food was great. Same menu as the Coast restaurant down below, and since it was dinner, I resited getting the Salmon BLT (see my post above) and instead got the Lobster and Shrimp Pasta, and at the risk of you thinking I am a partial owner of the place, it was the best pasta dish I have ever had. Amazing. My wife had the Chicken Parm which was uniquely prepared and my wife said it was delish as well.

Oh...and the Key Lime Trifle for dessert was pretty tasty as well. Key Lime, Graham Cracker, Coconut and Marshmallow all mixed together in a bowl....yummmm.

Thanks for the head-up on Relish Cafe. It was great when we tried it, and the guy who waited on us was fine. I was HOPING it would be a good "new find", but maybe not. I'll leave it off my official list until things improve, as it sounds spotty. I just threw it out there to see what happened, but didn't add it yet. I need to tweak a few things anyway----new additions, but haven't wished to bother Susan about that because it calls for her intervention and she's so busy with the boards already.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
not at all, Susan, you're the boss. :)
in fact I need to tweak a few things myself when I have time....some new additions and adjusted comments. Thx!

While you're editing, Alexander's in Palmetto Dunes announced after the hurricane that they wouldn't be reopening under the same management. No word yet from PD on new management or opening date.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pazzo's & Chart House have not reopened either and most likely won't.

Looks like NTP is going to be very sad. I'm sad to hear about Chart House but more for nostalgia - it used to be a staple of ours for celebratory dinners in the Boston area and in Florida, and it was nice knowing it was an option on HHI.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Restaurant Guide
can be found in posts #164 & 165 of this thread.

Comments below about a few places due to hurricane, per posts above:
(they may* or may not be on my list)

Alexander's* closed temporarily, will reopen under new management.
Chart House, Pazzo's...currently closed and "reopen" may or may not happen at all.

Hudson's - badly damaged but now reopened after renovations. Popular but not a favorite.
http://www.islandpacket.com/news/business/article61121422.html

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Chart House will now be an expansion of Skull Creek Boathouse and will be called Skull Creek Dockside Restaurant. The article says it will open in the summer and will be an entity onto itself with a play area for children & adults and an entertainment area. Here's the article: http://www.islandpacket.com/news/business/article124281489.html

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like NTP is going to be very sad. I'm sad to hear about Chart House but more for nostalgia - it used to be a staple of ours for celebratory dinners in the Boston area and in Florida, and it was nice knowing it was an option on HHI.

We used to always stop at a Chart House back in the day and probably got to 10-15. Then the ownership changed and one in Dobbs Ferry closed we sought other options. Then we had kids, but we did get to that one last time at HHI and it was quite good!