• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
That pie might be calling me twice a week. :D
I stopped there today and bought the Jamaican Chicken Pot Pie to try in the next few days. I also had to buy a key lime pie in case any unexpected guests stop by. The location is also their catering company so everything is prepared in their professionally equipped kitchen. It is very convenient to Surfwatch and I'm sure I will be back in the next couple of weeks. The person who helped me was not aware of any discount, but was extremely helpful.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always say the same thing and then eat the pie all by myself. I wouldn’t want to waste it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I have just finalized the update of my personal Hilton Head Restaurant Guide with additions,
deletions, and tweaks. Phase I of the update was completed and posted last month, but this now finishes it.
Changes were few but significant, including experiences of the last two weeks,
and were graciously posted by SueDonJ.

For the UPDATED VERSION,
go to Page 7 of this thread, & scroll down to posts #164 & 165.

use this link:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/martys-hhi-restaurant-thread-ongoing.211351/page-7

*Note regarding the list, restated again:
It's my own personal list so it reflects my own opinion. It's not an exhaustive review,
as there are a couple of places I still need to visit, but as much as possible I covered way more
than anyone actually needs to know to live in bliss for a long time at Hilton Head,
recording the good and discarding the bad, questionable, or inconsistent.

I believe each individual review to be accurate, and overall I believe it contains the best spots
you and your family, or you and your spouse, might enjoy on your first trip or on return trips.
For a couple, alone or with friends, HH has so many wonderful & romantic places that it's
truly difficult to decide where to go sometimes.

My goal will always be to simplify the "Where shall we dine this week?" dilemma, and in offering choices,
to be discerning and discriminating, leading to experiences that always satisfy.

I don't necessarily adhere to general popularity as THE all-important criterion for making the list,
as some popular places are purposely omitted. That's because of inconsistency or a less-than-enthusiastic
experience by me. Because of that you can count on a pretty solid list.
Being a "part-time local" and providing this service has been a great joy, and never ceases to impress on me
the fantastic array of fine restaurants that are available at Hilton Head for us all.
(Hint on my newest gem? Gusto)

As always, a HUGE and grateful thanks to SueDonJ for selectively tweaking the old version
per my instructions,
and for her tedious attention to detail in adding the updated descriptions.
As busy as she is, she remains tireless & selfless in willing to spend a few extra minutes for the benefit of the group.

Thank you, Susan.
Everyone please enjoy, Marty (jme)

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Marty:

I just wanted to Thank You for maintaining and updating this list, I used it last year for my first ever visit to HH

Reactions: jme

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I have just finalized the update of my personal Hilton Head Restaurant Guide with additions,
deletions, and tweaks. Phase I of the update was completed and posted last month, but this now finishes it.
Changes were few but significant, including experiences of the last two weeks,
and were graciously posted by SueDonJ. <snip>...

...For the UPDATED VERSION,
go to Page 7 of this thread, & scroll down to posts #164 & 165.

Marty! Marty! Marty! I rarely even click on the Marriott TUG group as I am not an owner, don't have II to trade, and, haven't been to Hilton Head in years though we're just up the road a bit from it. For some reason, I clicked on this group this morning and saw your post. Have gone back to page 7 and read forward to the end. I'm blown away by your succinct reviews of HH restaurants! I knew you were a connoisseur of dining out but the effort you have put in to theses posts is mind blowing and as others have posted, your guide is worthy of publishing! Who knew there were so many restaurants on HH Island now? Not I! Now...I think we should do one of Charleston for another group since there is no Marriott TS here! :cheer::cheer:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Marty! Marty! Marty! I rarely even click on the Marriott TUG group as I am not an owner, don't have II to trade, and, haven't been to Hilton Head in years though we're just up the road a bit from it. For some reason, I clicked on this group this morning and saw your post. Have gone back to page 7 and read forward to the end. I'm blown away by your succinct reviews of HH restaurants! I knew you were a connoisseur of dining out but the effort you have put in to theses posts is mind blowing and as others have posted, your guide is worthy of publishing! Who knew there were so many restaurants on HH Island now? Not I! Now...I think we should do one of Charleston for another group since there is no Marriott TS here! :cheer::cheer:

YOU'RE TOO SWEET, Glynda.
I do in fact have a personal list for Charleston, but it's more just a list of my favorite places and not descriptions.
It's a job I'd like to take on, though....there are so many great spots in Charleston as we've discussed
several times. And you know a lot yourself, much more than me, and I've enjoyed YOUR recommendations.

We're just now discovering Charleston, since we've only been visiting seriously for about 3 years since
buying two timeshare weeks at Church Street Inn. It'll be an ongoing endeavor...tough job but someone has to do it, right?
But that location at the Market, in the middle of the historic district, allows short 10-minute walks to at least a dozen
great restaurants. We love it there. Around the corner is Lodge Alley Inn, a perfectly wonderful alternative as you know.
Both provide a way to stay in a great location for 1/2 of what a hotel room would cost in that area......Shhhhhh! :)

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under Best Breakfasts, I have to say there are two newish places that are my favorites. Another Broken Egg is up near HHP. The Lemon Ricotta Blueberry pancakes and the Lobster & Brie Omelet are as good as they sound. Probably better.

Also, First Watch is in Bluffton, just over the bridge. It is also a chain; ate at one in College Station. It is as good in Bluffton a it was in Texas.

We bought a house down there so I'll have more comments as time goes on and I try more places on a regular basis.

Not sure I'd mentioned it previously, but we love Sunday brunch at The Old Fort Pub. Really pretty setting.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Under Best Breakfasts, I have to say there are two newish places that are my favorites. Another Broken Egg is up near HHP. The Lemon Ricotta Blueberry pancakes and the Lobster & Brie Omelet are as good as they sound. Probably better.

Also, First Watch is in Bluffton, just over the bridge. It is also a chain; ate at one in College Station. It is as good in Bluffton a it was in Texas. We bought a house down there so I'll have more comments as time goes on and I try more places on a regular basis.
Not sure I'd mentioned it previously, but we love Sunday brunch at The Old Fort Pub. Really pretty setting.

We ate at Another Broken Egg last Sunday, and I'm going to add it.

The reason I didn't? Susan (our favorite Moderator) has been receiving my numerous emails for a lot of other changes
and tweaks recently, and I didn't have the heart to send "one more" just yet.

I WILL go ahead and write it up, but for the meantime, just know that it's going to make the list soon-------
it's a good franchise with excellent food and service. We have dined at other locations in Charleston, Destin FL, & in Birmingham AL,
and also whenever we run across one. They're consistently above average. This one is located in the adjacent shopping center to Steinmart, out Hwy 278 across the street from Home Goods (my wife's favorite store).
Thanks for the tip----I did have plans to add it soon......a nice coincidence.

And, btw, Old Fort Pub is an old favorite at HH. One of the very best views anywhere around, and excellent all-around.
I already have it listed as a fine-dining dinner spot.
We've tried the Sunday Brunch and it was very good, but because of the higher prices and the limited menu choices,
it didn't seen like the kind of place that many TUG members would support, at least for brunch.
The dinner experience is different....also expensive but not out of line with many other fine places, hence it's listed.
It's nice but would not be among the top 5 that I would recommend to TUGGERS.

Hope to see you around sometime at HH.......Thanks again, & Enjoy

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
YOU'RE TOO SWEET, Glynda.
I do in fact have a personal list for Charleston, but it's more just a list of my favorite places and not descriptions.
It's a job I'd like to take on, though....there are so many great spots in Charleston as we've discussed
several times. And you know a lot yourself, much more than me, and I've enjoyed YOUR recommendations.

We're just now discovering Charleston, since we've only been visiting seriously for about 3 years since
buying two timeshare weeks at Church Street Inn. It'll be an ongoing endeavor...tough job but someone has to do it, right?
But that location at the Market, in the middle of the historic district, allows short 10-minute walks to at least a dozen
great restaurants. We love it there. Around the corner is Lodge Alley Inn, a perfectly wonderful alternative as you know.
Both provide a way to stay in a great location for 1/2 of what a hotel room would cost in that area......Shhhhhh! :)

Sorry I am so late getting back here to read your reply, Marty! Kim and I have been in High Point looking for replacements for the green chairs in the den. They are 25 years old and the leather has worn through to the lining on the arm of his. After the bottom literally fell to the floor Thursday, we decided it was time for a road trip up to High Point, NC, to buy their replacements. Just back this evening with a lot of swatches.

You and I, and our spouses, have eaten together at a couple of great restaurants and discussed a lot more we like. Let's just keep eating our way through Charleston together and we may have the makings of another guide yet! Mum is the word on that great location....why do you think we bought a house located near those two timeshares? ;):cool:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Under Best Breakfasts, I have to say there are two newish places that are my favorites. Another Broken Egg is up near HHP. The Lemon Ricotta Blueberry pancakes and the Lobster & Brie Omelet are as good as they sound. Probably better. Also, First Watch is in Bluffton, just over the bridge. It is also a chain; ate at one in College Station. It is as good in Bluffton a it was in Texas.We bought a house down there so I'll have more comments as time goes on and I try more places on a regular basis. Not sure I'd mentioned it previously, but we love Sunday brunch at The Old Fort Pub. Really pretty setting.

GreenTea, you'll be delighted to know that Another Broken Egg has now officially been added to the list
in the Breakfast section. Thanks for mentioning it-----it was already destined to be added, but YOU were the impetus.
(And as usual, many thanks to SueDonJ for adding it for me.) We dined there on Sunday Feb 17 before returning home,
and have dined at several of them around the Southeast. It's always a very nice spot for breakfast, brunch, or lunch,
and it's definitely one that remains consistently above average.

Did you realize that the Hilton Head Restaurant Guide has now experienced well over 37,500 views? I was flabbergasted
when I saw that. Hopefully it's been a big help to those desiring to take advantage of Hilton Head's amazing array of
dining establishments. For a vacation area so small in size, that's not bad.

Not only does the unique beauty and tranquil, unruffled lifestyle of Hilton Head's Low Country environment bring us back,
as it does for thousands of others, but the dining options, activities, people, and amazing variety of accommodations
make it a destination worthy of many return trips-----and even for many to make the ultimate commitment to remain
as their choice to spend the glorious years of their retirement.
What a fantastic place to be. Thanks to all who have sent their appreciation for the list...it's a labor of love, I assure you.
Hope to see you around. Bon appetit!

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We ate at The French Bakery mid-morning last Saturday...maybe the first warm and sunny Saturday that HHI has had in the season. We found the food delicious, and loved the atmosphere outside. But we also found the service authentic as well....as in slow, slightly rude, and not particularly concerned about whether or not we were happy. ;) There were four of us; they brought out the first two dishes and seemed surprised that we were expecting two more (those did show up, about 5-10 minutes later.) We never got two add-ons that we had ordered, despite being charged for one. (So we had to go in and spend ten minutes or so correcting the bill.) They seemed surprised that we cared about such issues. They may have been unprepared for the weather bringing more people out, and were understaffed (not sure.) I will go back, but don't be in a rush, and don't be overly particular about what you order, FYI. ;)

In a more positive update, we went to Hudson's--an old favorite of ours--for the first time since the hurricane and was surprised by the outside scene (but we ate inside.) We purchased a whole key lime pie to take home. At $25 we felt that was a deal, as it fed us for dessert numerous nights over the course of the week. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We ate at The French Bakery mid-morning last Saturday...maybe the first warm and sunny Saturday that HHI has had in the season. We found the food delicious, and loved the atmosphere outside. But we also found the service authentic as well....as in slow, slightly rude, and not particularly concerned about whether or not we were happy. ;) There were four of us; they brought out the first two dishes and seemed surprised that we were expected two more (those did show up, about 5-10 minutes later.) We never got two add-ons that we had ordered, despite being charged for one. (So we had to go in and spend ten minutes or so correcting the bill.) They seemed surprised that we cared about such issues. They may have been unprepared for the weather bringing more people out, and were understaffed (not sure.) I will go back, but don't be a rush, and don't be overly particular about what you order, FYI. ;)

In a more positive update, we went to Hudson's--an old favorite of ours--for the first time since the hurricane and was surprised by the outside scene (but we ate inside.) We purchases a whole key lime pie to take home. At $25 we felt that was a deal, as it fed us for dessert numerous nights over the course of the week. Highly recommend!

We've had good service at French Bakery for about 20 visits, but if it's not up to expectations, always let them know!
They NEED to know and must learn that way. Thx

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is always best to let them know. Sometimes it is not easy for everyone to make a comment/give feedback face to face. Yelp, or Tripadvisor is a another way. Sometimes the owner/manager will also respond. It's good to know some of them read them too/maybe not always - who knows.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Typo on the telephone number for the Vine restaurant.
I tried calling--of course it is area code 843 not 863.
I noticed that and thought something was not correct.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Typo on the telephone number for the Vine restaurant.
I tired calling--of course it is area code 843 not 863.
I noticed that and thought something was not correct.

thanks...843 is correct for HH.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve been skimming through this thread a bit but I’m wondering if there’s one cohesive list of places discussed here? If so, I apologize, as I haven’t found it yet.

I’m looking specifically for good places with water views (lunch or dinner and we do have one reservation for Ocean Lounge) and best low country breakfasts.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I wish I could read these boards all day but time will not allow.....

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
^^^ See Post 164. If you go to the first post on page 1 of the thread....there is a link to it.

illbdam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Club
First post on TUG...Regular to HHI as my family has owned in Sea Pines for 25+ years. Rented often prior to owning their own condo. I am 10 year owner at the Harbour Club.

I just wanted to let ya'll know that The Smokehouse BBQ restaurant is closed for now due to a fire they had on Sunday June 6th. I was actually just entering onto the island from cross island parkway (Palmetto Bay Rd) and noticed the firetrucks but I think it was mostly contained as I couldn't see fire, smoke or the damage. It was reported later that night on the local news (Savannah) and during the week I noticed a sign on the building saying they were closed. Here is the link: https://www.smokehousehhi.com/

Doug

Last edited: