• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Does anyone have a first-hand opinion/review of the new Skull Creek Dockside? I've heard that it's SERC's attempt to have the best of SERC in one place. A bit of the best from each of the SERC restaurants?
What about the seating, bar, creekside views?

It's already been done for you...see title of thread.

Go to PAGE 7 and scroll down to post #164 and then "Traditional Seafood" section at front---it's the first category.

It's 3rd on the list (but NOT "3rd best"), just randomly listed.
It's NOT "the best of SERG in one place" by virtue of being adjacent to Boathouse, and I don't think that was their original intent,
they just wanted to add to their group (+1 for them, -1 for competition), it was available, and it had a great location, albeit coincidental.
(Sort of like any beachfront property coming available at Hilton Head, ALL resorts will fight to get it, even if they already have something next door. I think that's what happened. And the more they thought about it, the more it became a win-win.)

On crazy-busy nights, the wait at Boathouse can be up to 1.5 -2 hours, so it does serve a purpose there...I think they knew that from the beginning, and sort of solved a tough problem. The alternative would have been to send folks away to someone else's restaurant.

It's down the list of SERG restaurants, imho, and as of yet not as good as Boathouse, or as fun, except the view (window) is closer to the water and it's a pretty nice view. OK bar, always busy.

If they want it to be "the best in one place", they need to change some things.
Booths and tables, two levels. Top level is a minor step-up of about 3 steps(?).
All in all, another nice spot on the inland waterway. HH actually needs more casual seafood restaurants, imho.

The Dockside menu link is listed for you to compare with Skull Creek Boathouse and others. I've been there twice (Jan & Feb 2018). It's a decent restaurant for sure...any SERG place is.....but it's not my favorite. I'd still go there anytime, though, but Boathouse menu and food selections blow away Dockside.
For instance, Dockside has maybe 2-3 things I could/would order, but Boathouse has about 20.
If it were mine, I'd change the menu already (improve and expand) and include more traditional seafood items.

There are several other seafood restaurants that I currently rate higher than Dockside......SC Boathouse, FishCamp, Frankie Bones (not entirely seafood), Old Oyster Factory, Crazy Crab (Jarvis Creek location), Black Marlin, and Marley's Island Grille........all better. But, subject to change, as SERG does listen to customers.

My review on page 7 is not exhaustive, and leaves room for other opinions, but it's accurate and gives enough.

BTW, If you're ever there when we're there, we'll take you out and treat.

Last edited:

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have friends on the island looking for BBQ place. What part of this thread has current suggestions?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I have friends on the island looking for BBQ place. What part of this thread has current suggestions?
Post 164 and 165 is the latest and greatest.

This one is from post 165...

Smokehouse....fun for whole family, very kid-friendly, wide variety of food selections.
Great BBQ, sandwiches, seafood, steaks. Consistently good.
http://smokehousehhi.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
The Smokehouse would be my first choice for BBQ, all day long.

Reactions: jme

heatherw

Reaction score
Thanks @jme for all your recommendations - we have just returned to the UK from the most amazing week at Grande ocean and i have to say we would go back in a heartbeat. Pity we couldn't try everywhere on your list during that short space of time but there sure were some strong big hitters. We particularly had a fun night at the Jazz Corner.
Unfortunately we didn't have such a great meal at the crazy crab in harbour town but everyone has an off day, all the other places we went to were spot on.
Heather

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks @jme for all your recommendations - we have just returned to the UK from the most amazing week at Grande ocean and i have to say we would go back in a heartbeat. Pity we couldn't try everywhere on your list during that short space of time but there sure were some strong big hitters. We particularly had a fun night at the Jazz Corner.
Unfortunately we didn't have such a great meal at the crazy crab in harbour town but everyone has an off day, all the other places we went to were spot on.
Heather

Thanks...so happy you enjoyed Hilton Head and Grande Ocean.

Per my restaurant list and the Harbour Town Crazy Crab, I try to direct people AWAY from the that location (please re-read), and instead to the Jarvis Creek location----far better, definitely different in every way.

Glad you're back in UK safely, please come back to HH soon!!!!

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thanks...so happy you enjoyed Hilton Head and Grande Ocean.

Per my restaurant list and the Harbour Town Crazy Crab, I try to direct people AWAY from the that location (please re-read), and instead to the Jarvis Creek location----far better, definitely different in every way.

Glad you're back in UK safely, please come back to HH soon!!!!

I agree, Jarvis Creek is the better location/experience. But it's still not re-opened since the fire last year and still no word on when it will. (Notice at the link that while it's closed, they'll refund your Sea Pines Gate Pass entry fee if you go to the Harbour Town location.)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I agree, Jarvis Creek is the better location/experience. But it's still not re-opened since the fire last year and still no word on when it will. (Notice at the link that while it's closed, they'll refund your Sea Pines Gate Pass entry fee if you go to the Harbour Town location.)

We were at HH for a long weekend 2 weeks ago, and I was again disappointed when I rode by
Crazy Crab's Jarvis Creek location on the way in......they still had it roped off for the ongoing work. I'm sure it'll be great, tho.

And as for the setting there,
...."gorgeous marsh view, gorgeous marsh view, gorgeous marsh view".....sound familiar there, Susan? :thumbup:

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I should start catching up by reading this thread in preparation for our upcoming trip.

We haven't been to Hilton Head in six years....so many places, so little time :cool:......I'm very excited for our upcoming trip at the end of August. I wasn't really looking, but just idle curiosity had me skimming through Hilton Head on RCI. Lo and behold, there she was setting there awaiting my push of the button! ;) We stayed there about eight years ago with our teenage sons and their teenage niece from New York (not much travel experience). It was a fantastic stay. It meets all of our wants and needs. It's Kingston Cove, located in a residential area, a short bike ride to the beach in Shipyard Plantation. There are maybe 16 free-standing 3BR cottages with half backing up to the golf course and half to a nice lagoon. There is an onsite outdoor pool. I had two options and chose the one setting on the lagoon. We loved setting on the screened-in porch overlooking the lagoon and listening to the frogs in the evenings. We will be there week 34 and, from past experience, this is fantastic week to be on Hilton Head. Many of the tourists are gone. Another favorite time to be in Hilton Head for us is late May.

The thought of revisiting a favorite destination and staying in such a homey, private, peaceful setting is super exciting. Thoughts of riding a bike, with wild abandon through the plantation, on the beach and everywhere in-between makes me smile. I look forward to meandering through Coligny and visiting many restaurant favorites on the island, as well as recommended new ones. Hilton Head is what I consider pure relaxation, even when you're doing lots of things. I know I'm not alone in my love of the area. There are some real Hilton Head cheerleaders on TUG. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

I haven't read the thread yet, but it will be fun to read and glean important facts, opinions and experiences from it as I await this special upcoming vacation :)

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
We will be trying out some of these restaurant recommendations soon enough - can't wait! Thanks Marty.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We will be trying out some of these restaurant recommendations soon enough - can't wait! Thanks Marty.

They eagerly await you, Greg.

I'm getting excited FOR YOU, and a bit jealous that you'll be there a week earlier than we will.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or tried Scotts Fish Market. Someone recommended the Scallops there and I never heard of the place.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone; What are now the Top Ten Restaurants on HHI?
One list please.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
The value of reading just about the restaurants. I printed out page 7 and took it to HHI. Clearly on it is using the Marriott Conciege. I did not. We were on at SC Boathouse to give our name and the family right behind us had a slip of paper from the GO with a 7 pm reservation. They handed the slip and told to walk inside. Would have saved us the hour wait. BTW, they told us 90 to 120 minutes. Normally I only go to restaurants that take reservations and we has reservation at the Posideon but my family outvoted me. I really enjoyed it. Must say, it was worth the wait. Went to Frankie Bones and forget to get the Marriott discount. Not on my A game this vacation.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The value of reading just about the restaurants. I printed out page 7 and took it to HHI. Clearly on it is using the Marriott Conciege. I did not. We were on at SC Boathouse to give our name and the family right behind us had a slip of paper from the GO with a 7 pm reservation. They handed the slip and told to walk inside. Would have saved us the hour wait. BTW, they told us 90 to 120 minutes. Normally I only go to restaurants that take reservations and we has reservation at the Posideon but my family outvoted me. I really enjoyed it. Must say, it was worth the wait. Went to Frankie Bones and forget to get the Marriott discount. Not on my A game this vacation.

If you enjoyed them, had a good time, and thought it worth the wait, as you said, then you still accomplished a lot.
And btw, it's not a huge Marriott discount, only 10% on entrees, so don't beat yourself up. But you did choose some great spots,
and the memories will take you back again!!!
Glad you had a good time. There are so many really good, fun restaurants at HH.....
one of the reasons we love to be there so much. We're going this next week again, then once more in August to meet up with
a dear TUG friend & wife, and can't wait for both.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Scott's came recommended by the Concierge at Barony. I think there are plenty of other restaurants on this list so an "ok" recommendation isn't worth it to me.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or tried Scotts Fish Market. Someone recommended the Scallops there and I never heard of the place.
's

Yes. It's in Shelter Cove on the water. It frequently has entertainment in the evenings. I think the food is good. Try it!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We went there once when they had a 2-for-1 special. It was good but nothing special, and with all the good choices on the island, we will probably never go back.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The chef at the Lucky Rooster will/has moved to Darren Clarke’s. There will be a menu change at Clarke’s.

Too bad for Lucky Rooster.....we have dined there 3 times and it was really good. The most recent visit was 3 weeks ago.
I hope they find another chef as creative as he was. I've recently heard many people say they loved Lucky Rooster and
remarked about how popular it had become, with a large local following. It was packed when we were there.

Haven't yet dined at Darren Clarke's because of the high prices and the general lack of enthusiasm for the menu and the food,
but will await word on everything after the transition, and maybe try it soon. Been wanting to go, but as BocaBoy rightly mentioned,
there are so many good restaurants on the island from which to choose to revisit any place that comes across as mediocre.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Ok everyone; What are now the Top Ten Restaurants on HHI?
One list please.

I'm not sure one list is possible! Everyone's tastes are so different, plus how do you compare a casual seafood place like Skull Creek Boathouse to an Italian fine dining place like Ombra?

I think Marty's list is as close to the definitive Hilton Head Island restaurant guide as any I have seen anywhere, so I suggest using that as your road map to HHI dining. That's what we do. Marty should expand the reviews and then publish it! A business opportunity!

I've used Marty's list extensively in our HHI trips, and lately, we've been trying to sample different restaurants on each trip instead of returning to our favorites, so haven't been to many places more than once. We have been to HHI five times in the last 11 months (26 total nights), so we've been able to sample quite a few.

For the heck of it, I went through Marty's list, and my memory, and listed all of the places I can recall eating on HHI in the last few years. I then took a stab at it and bolded my Top Ten, but honestly, there are a couple that didn't make the top ten that easily could have. But I forced myself to only do 10. Since most places we've only been to once, it's hard to really rank. The only dinner spots we've been to more than once are Skull Creek Boathouse, Fishcamp on Broad Creek, Old Oyster Factory, The Quarterdeck, San Miguels, and The Jazz Corner. Fishcamp and Old Oyster are the two that just missed my top 10. So, for whatever it's worth, see below:

Skull Creek Boathouse
Fishcamp on Broad Creek
Skull Creek Dockside
Black Marlin
Old Oyster Factory
Crazy Crab
Salty Dog Cafe
Bucci's Italian Cuisine Shelter Cover
San Miguel's Mexican Cafe

Ombra
Wiseguys
Alexanders

Darren Clarke’s Tavern
Santa Fe
Frankie Bones
CQ’s

The Quarterdeck
Old Fort Pub

Poseidon
The Jazz Corner

One Hot Mamas
The French Bakery
British Open Pub
Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe

I can't really pick an absolute favorite. I guess for a traditional seafood place my vote has to go to Skull Creek Boathouse (although we really liked the new Dockside location next door on July 4 as well - and they do online reservations. Had a great view of the Skull Creek fireworks.) For all around best menu, we loved Frankie Bones, and we love The Jazz Corner for the music/food combination.

Last edited: