• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Waiving Destination Points Enrolment Fee?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got it. I did an {Edited to Add} at the bottom of that post, if you want to take a look at it?

(Sorry, I'm not good at getting all my thoughts down at once and really need to stop confusing things with edits.)
I think where the confusion came about was that you were thinking that I was trying to enroll into MRPs? The weeks already had MRPs. I went through the steps to enroll into DC (before they got enrolled through the Salt Lake City session). What I saw is immaterial. I was just responding to Dioxide as to whether I saw the weeks as "Internal" or "External". They were listed as Internal but ineligble for DC enrollment because they were post-2010.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think where the confusion came about was that you were thinking that I was trying to enroll into MRPs? The weeks already had MRPs. I went through the steps to enroll into DC (before they got enroll through the Salt Lake City session). What I saw is immaterial. I was just responding to Dioxide as to whether I saw the weeks as "Internal" or "External". They were listed as Internal but ineligble for DC enrollment because they were post-2010.

No, because I know that "trying to enroll in MRPs" is impossible; Weeks are either eligible or ineligible for MRPs and no enrollment is ever necessary. What I'm thinking is that you said a couple of times something similar to this in Post #98, "The message was something like the weeks were ineligible for enrollment because they were already enrolled into Marriott Vacation Club Reward Points (which I assume to mean MRPs)."

So if you saw a message declining enrollment because of something to do with Marriott Rewards Points, that's not immaterial because it makes absolutely no sense at all. But if the message you saw mentioned that the Week was already enrolled into the DC and eligible for DC Points, it may be that the previous owner(s) of your Weeks had enrolled them and quite possibly, Marriott hadn't considered what that situation would mean as far as the IT fields affected by resales. And maybe, just maybe, the rep who managed to get your ineligible Weeks enrolled, thought she was correcting an error in your account because the system said the Weeks were already DC-enrolled?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, because I know that "trying to enroll in MRPs" is impossible; Weeks are either eligible or ineligible for MRPs and no enrollment is ever necessary. What I'm thinking is that you said a couple of times something similar to this in Post #98, "The message was something like the weeks were ineligible for enrollment because they were already enrolled into Marriott Vacation Club Reward Points (which I assume to mean MRPs)."

So if you saw a message declining enrollment because of something to do with Marriott Rewards Points, that's not immaterial because it makes absolutely no sense at all. But if the message you saw mentioned that the Week was already enrolled into the DC and eligible for DC Points, it may be that the previous owner(s) of your Weeks had enrolled them and quite possibly, Marriott hadn't considered what that situation would mean as far as the IT fields affected by resales. And maybe, just maybe, the rep who managed to get your ineligible Weeks enrolled, thought she was correcting an error in your account because the system said the Weeks were already DC-enrolled?
No. It had nothing to do with the weeks being enrolled by previous owner or not. The message was not about it already being enrolled into DC.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

(Talking to myself here because I didn't want to confuse things further with another edit.)

My Weeks are enrolled. I just tried clicking through the enrollment process and am seeing this:

"The following inventories have already been enrolled with Marriott Vacation Club Points Program or are not eligible for the program." All of them show "Reason for Ineligibility - Enrolled" and "Purchase Type - Internal."

I really think that your resale Weeks were enrolled by the previous owner(s) and for some reason, the related IT fields in MVW's system aren't, or at least weren't before your experience, programmed to reset upon resale. (If you're reading, MVW, you should probably get on that.) VacationForever, I'm sorry if you think that I'm being way too literal here but honestly, it makes no sense at all that MRPs would be mentioned in connection with the DC enrollment process, and I'm bothered by things that can't be explained at all.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
(Talking to myself here because I didn't want to confuse things further with another edit.)

My Weeks are enrolled. I just tried clicking through the enrollment process and am seeing this:

"The following inventories have already been enrolled with Marriott Vacation Club Points Program or are not eligible for the program." All of them show "Reason for Ineligibility - Enrolled" and "Purchase Type - Internal."

I really think that your resale Weeks were enrolled by the previous owner(s) and for some reason, the related IT fields in MVW's system aren't, or at least weren't before your experience, programmed to reset upon resale. (If you're reading, MVW, you should probably get on that.) VacationForever, I'm sorry if you think that I'm being way too literal here but honestly, it makes no sense at all that MRPs would be mentioned in connection with the DC enrollment process, and I'm bothered by things that can't be explained at all.
That is what shows up now. But there were words that said ineligible reason as post 2010.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is what shows up now. But there were words that said ineligible reason as post 2010.

Which would make perfect sense, because post-2010 US Weeks resales are not eligible; external purchases, no exception; internal Marriott Resales Operations, only with a purchase of DC Trust Points within a year of the Week purchase. That also goes for the promotion mentioned by urfriend of waived enrollment fees with a webinar, like every other reduced/no fee incentive it will only apply to Weeks which pass every other enrollment eligibility criteria regardless of direct-resales being designated "internal" in our accounts. Your situation truly does appear to be a one-off which others are not going to be able to replicate if they're dealing with reps who are on the ball, not in the same way that you were able and not in connection with the webinar incentive.

But back to the line in the enrollment message with, "... already been enrolled with Marriott Vacation Club Points Program ..." Do you see how you may have possibly assumed that MRP were involved and not DC Points, if the Weeks had been enrolled by the previous owner(s) and the system didn't reset the field?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But back to the line in the enrollment message with, "... already been enrolled with Marriott Vacation Club Points Program ..." Do you see how you may have possibly assumed that MRP were involved and not DC Points, if the Weeks had been enrolled by the previous owner(s) and the system didn't reset the field?

I no longer can replicate that and do not have a screen snapshot of that. "Let it go." :)

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Sue....not so sure this had to be a result of the weeks having been previously enrolled by the prior owner...as the message could also simply relate to the fact that they were simply not elegible because they were purchased after June 2010. See bolded section below. Especially since VactionForever indicated "But there were words that said ineligible reason as post 2010".

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue....not so sure this had to be a result of the weeks having been previously enrolled by the prior owner...as the message could also simply relate to the fact that they were simply not elegible because they were purchased after June 2010. See bolded section below. Especially since VactionForever indicated "But there were words that said ineligible reason as post 2010".

Except VF said that the message read something about already being enrolled in MR Points, right, and that's what I was trying to get to the bottom of? But I've already spent enough time trying to figure it out and been told to let it go so ...

americanft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will Help...

We were in Park City last year and they tried to get us to buy points at a presentation. We declined. Then the final person in offered to to place us in the points program if we purchased a 4 Night deal for $1,100.00 which included another points presentation and gave us 50,000 Marriott Rewards Points. Since I had previously been approached to "buy in" to the program for $3,000.00 I thought this was a good deal and I did it.

We got a nice short Vacation (2BR in Palm Desert) and 50,000 points so it was fine.

They enrolled my 2 Units (purchased on the aftermarket) into the program but I have yet to convert any to points (still trading through Interval) but now I have the option.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will Help...

We were in Park City last year and they tried to get us to buy points at a presentation. We declined. Then the final person in offered to to place us in the points program if we purchased a 4 Night deal for $1,100.00 which included another points presentation and gave us 50,000 Marriott Rewards Points. Since I had previously been approached to "buy in" to the program for $3,000.00 I thought this was a good deal and I did it.

We got a nice short Vacation (2BR in Palm Desert) and 50,000 points so it was fine.

They enrolled my 2 Units (purchased on the aftermarket) into the program but I have yet to convert any to points (still trading through Interval) but now I have the option.
Were these weeks bought before June 2010?

byebye

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a previous post I asked about how do I get a "free" enrollment for a pre2010 private party resale & Marriott purchased property. The person said I would have to get a Encore package for $1200. I've been to a few presentations in Aruba and actually bought $10,000 worth of points but cancelled before I left there because I just didn't want to spend that amount of cash. So is that package given to a few choice clients or is it random?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I think we will see many different enrollment options in the future.

I can recall the following:

1) Fees to enroll will be going up after initial enrollment period
2) Ritz Properties will never be in the Trust
3) Post June 2010 weeks will never be eligible for enrollment

Since then, we've see Ritz properties in the Trust, the hybrid purchase, the Trust point purchase to enroll your post 6-2010 purchase and now, enroll weeks with the purchase of another week (different thread).

The point system is a success and Marriott will continue to find creative ways to entice us to play in points. I think all of these offers are designed to slowly get us to embrace points, with less and less of a legacy week usage structure. This was speculated as an endgame in the early days, and I still think it is accurate.

I believe the next option is to enroll weeks for a hefty fee - as long as you already enrolled. Marriott can get $XXXX from people like me, and one day they will introduce it.

If your a gambler, why not buy more weeks and plan to enroll them one day in the future?

Best,

Greg

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
All,

I think we will see many different enrollment options in the future.

I can recall the following:

1) Fees to enroll will be going up after initial enrollment period
2) Ritz Properties will never be in the Trust
3) Post June 2010 weeks will never be eligible for enrollment

Since then, we've see Ritz properties in the Trust, the hybrid purchase, the Trust point purchase to enroll your post 6-2010 purchase and now, enroll weeks with the purchase of another week (different thread).

The point system is a success and Marriott will continue to find creative ways to entice us to play in points. I think all of these offers are designed to slowly get us to embrace points, with less and less of a legacy week usage structure. This was speculated as an endgame in the early days, and I still think it is accurate.

I believe the next option is to enroll weeks for a hefty fee - as long as you already enrolled. Marriott can get $XXXX from people like me, and one day they will introduce it.

If your a gambler, why not buy more weeks and plan to enroll them one day in the future?

Best,

Greg
Personally I don't see it as a gamble, I still think weeks are a superior product to DC points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So after 5 pages, we still don't know if a post 6/2010 "internal" Marriott Resales weeks are truly eligible for this offer? We know that @VacationForever had theirs enrolled, but it seemed to require special intervention.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So after 5 pages, we still don't know if a post 6/2010 "internal" Marriott Resales weeks are truly eligible for this offer? We know that @VacationForever had theirs enrolled, but it seemed to require special intervention.
Agree. Unless urfriend comes back with firm data or someone else reports that they had theirs enrolled similarly...

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch

Best,

Greg

In the past 6 months I have purchased 4 external resale weeks (2 Summit Watch platinum, and 2 Ocean Pointe platinum [a 3br and a 2br]). Their combined enrolled point value would be 19,150 points. My total cost for all 4 weeks was $37,800. The "retail" non-discounted rate at Marriott's listed $13.84/point base price would be an astonishing $265,036. Even with significant discounts, the cost to buy that many points directly from Marriott would be well over $100,000. If bought directly as points, the annual maintenance fees would be over $10,000, as opposed to the maintenance fees on my weeks of about $6,500.

With these disparate numbers, it is hard to imagine Marriott ever allowing me to enroll without paying an arm and a leg. If given the opportunity to enroll for free I would jump at the opportunity due to the increased flexibility of the points program. However, I am happy keeping them as legacy weeks as I will enjoy my home resorts, and when unable to use them I believe I'll be able to rent them out without too much difficulty.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
In the past 6 months I have purchased 4 external resale weeks (2 Summit Watch platinum, and 2 Ocean Pointe platinum [a 3br and a 2br]). Their combined enrolled point value would be 19,150 points. My total cost for all 4 weeks was $37,800. The "retail" non-discounted rate at Marriott's listed $13.84/point base price would be an astonishing $265,036. Even with significant discounts, the cost to buy that many points directly from Marriott would be well over $100,000. If bought directly as points, the annual maintenance fees would be over $10,000, as opposed to the maintenance fees on my weeks of about $6,500.

With these disparate numbers, it is hard to imagine Marriott ever allowing me to enroll without paying an arm and a leg. If given the opportunity to enroll for free I would jump at the opportunity due to the increased flexibility of the points program. However, I am happy keeping them as legacy weeks as I will enjoy my home resorts, and when unable to use them I believe I'll be able to rent them out without too much difficulty.

But would you pay $10K to enroll them? I don't think we will ever be able to enroll them for free -- but I do think at some point Marriott will offer us the option to enroll weeks for a hefty fee -- especially if we are already enrolled in the program. It costs them nothing to enroll them and deepens the pool of potentially available weeks for the point user.

We will see -- I do prefer week ownership to point ownership, but they work well together if you understand the system.

Best,

Greg

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
But would you pay $10K to enroll them? I don't think we will ever be able to enroll them for free -- but I do think at some point Marriott will offer us the option to enroll weeks for a hefty fee -- especially if we are already enrolled in the program. It costs them nothing to enroll them and deepens the pool of potentially available weeks for the point user.

We will see -- I do prefer week ownership to point ownership, but they work well together if you understand the system.

Best,

Greg
I agree with you and do think over time there will be new and different offers to enroll legacy weeks, even those purchased after June 2010. I imagine MVC wants to move all or most inventory into the points program over time.

That said, based on the numbers I listed above I assume that it will always be pretty pricey to enroll post 2010 weeks. Perhaps they will at some point move up the date from 2010 to a more recent cutoff year, but I think it will be a long time before I'm allowed to enroll my 2017 purchased weeks at what I consider to be a reasonable cost. Otherwise Marriott would jeopardize its ability to charge such a hefty premium on developer purchased points.

j.d.

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Others have posted the same. I also read of someone on Facebook receiving the same offer. The only real downside is the annual membership fee which you already addressed. However, just become you enroll in the program, it doesn't mean you need to convert your weeks. By enrolling, you open your account up to being able to rent Destination points from others along with your ability to convert. You'll have to decide if this is worth it to you for that annual fee.

If there is no cost to enroll, you're essentially paying the annual fee as an option to convert your weeks to points along with being able to rent. Personally, I would do it. It's a small cost in the overall vacation experience. Totally worth it.

j.d.

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect it's "free" (meaning no enrollment fee) if you buy 3000 DC points. I think they have a promotion ongoing through September to enroll post-2010 private resales with the purchase of the point package. So while the points aren't free, the enrollment of the legacy week is.
Marriott vacation club send the family for an invitation to watch a 45 minute course on the the marriott vacation club. Being a pre-2009 buyer of newport coast and Shadowridge the offer was free! Yes free, and the program will start in 2019. This saved the family $2400.00 dollars and the only down sign is $195.00 free starting in 2019 is we what to use points instead of weeks. You have to pay this fee for the opportunity to use points instead of the free week.
NoteL you do not have to buy more points if you are a pre 2009 purchaser you just save $2400.00!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott vacation club send the family for an invitation to watch a 45 minute course on the the marriott vacation club. Being a pre-2009 buyer of newport coast and Shadowridge the offer was free! Yes free, and the program will start in 2019. This saved the family $2400.00 dollars and the only down sign is $195.00 free starting in 2019 is we what to use points instead of weeks. You have to pay this fee for the opportunity to use points instead of the free week.
NoteL you do not have to buy more points if you are a pre 2009 purchaser you just save $2400.00!

I can’t believe you resisted buying into DC points until now. What fortitude! I know Marriott must have been hounding you for years. I’m glad you got in for free...that’s always nice! If you don't mind telling us (if you do mind please forget I asked) how many DC points will you get for your weeks? I’m curious because I never seem to get the same answer twice. Thanks

gdstuart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Data point: We bought a Resale week at Marriott Monarch (Hilton Head, SC) in 2006 through Marriott Resales. I participated in one of the three scheduled Destination Exchange Program webinars and we decided to enroll in the Points option. I read and printed the agreements and submitted them and we'll see where we go from here.

Note 1: Your 2018 week is still subject to the Week program rules; 2019 is the first year that the Points program will apply, though the way I read the rules, it should be possible to "borrow ahead" to book your 2019 points as soon as our membership is fully approved, for use in 2018.

Noite 2: There's a footnote in the powerpoint deck highlighting a "gotcha" for Marriott Resale owners: if you bought your resale week prior to 2010, you should be in the clear to enroll in Points EXCEPT IF there's a clause in your purchase agreement requiring you to purchase MVCI Points within one year of your closing date. Our docs did not contain this clause, but if they did, I guess we would be consigned to Weeks Purgatory forever (or until MVCI decides to force the stragglers into the Points program).

I was pleasantly surprised that the Dest Exch program conversion process was overall very favorable to the owner. It looks like a huge improvement over Weeks ownership. I have regularly done the MRP exchange (110,000 points) for the past five or six years, so my timeshare ownership has simply been a path to allow me to "buy" big blocks of MR points for the cost of my annual maintenance fee. It looks like the Dest Exch program will be worth utilizing, but it's really just the addition of the Dest Exch option to my existing program; I am not giving up the MRP exchange option since it's a year-by-year decision. Plus, I get a free II membership for my two non-Marriott timeshares and other bennies of II, admittedly few but still better than nothing.