• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Waiving Destination Points Enrolment Fee?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do you see purchase type under your account? I can't seem to find this (but all my weeks are currently "external" so that might be why).
If you click through the "enroll" button, then click yes or something until you come to the page with a summary of what you own. Heading will say something like Purchase Type.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If correct and I was one that bought a Hybrid package to get an enrolled week, I would be pretty cheesed that I paid $40,000+ where someone can get something very similar for a fraction of the cost and only 45 minutes of their time.
Yep, thats how people feel that paid $2,500 to enroll when mine was free with a great encore package. The game keeps changing. :crash:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
That spreadsheet shows 3475/4625/5300 for Platinum. What are the differences between the 3 levels? The period we usually go requires 4225 to reserve, so I do need to understand this. And on the sheet, the 2017 fees matches to the penny what I paid at the beginning of 2017, so what additional fees are there?

Thanks
The 3475 on the spreadsheet is what you get in exchange for your week. The 4225 is what it costs to reserve the same week. The difference is called the skim, but we should call it the vig.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
New
CURRENTLY Marriott has a promotion to enroll your weeks FREE into the Destinations Program....if you watch a 45 minute webinar. But only if you purchased your week "Internal". External week purchases are not eligible.
BTW, where did you get this information?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is not very different as to how I would have felt if I had bought a bundled package when externally bought resale owners were offered 2500/3000 points to enroll one week, 3500/4000 to enroll 2 weeks etc. I was actually quite upset then that I told Marriott salesperson that that was ripping off folks who had bought a bundled package from Marriott. Also even though I had bought internally, I was not even given this information/offer other than reading about it from TUG from folks who had bought externally.

I think there are so few of us who actually bought internally without buying the bundled points. I cannot imagine more than 10 people or so... If I believe they will do this again, I would have bought another couple of weeks through Marriott and then sit on it and wait for the next wave when they allow this. I also suspect they need additinal inventory for some of the resorts that they have selectively asked those who own those weeks who had bought "internally" to enroll.
I think the volume of pure (non hybrid) Marriott Resales is probably much higher than 10 over the period of seven years. There were a lot of people that bought because these resales did come with the ability to convert to MR points.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... in the end Marriott did get additional money from us... :ponder: :doh:No regrets though. We really want the platinum status for hotel stays. Now the question is what do we do with so many points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yep, thats how people feel that paid $2,500 to enroll when mine was free with a great encore package. The game keeps changing. :crash:
True. Though those people that paid $2500 also got a big bundle of PlusPoints. Those that paid the initial enrollment fees got 800 PlusPoints.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even weeks bought from Marriott resales after June 2010 have been ineligible for enrollment, unless you bought like DC points. I am still not sure that the official policy is to allow Marriott Resale weeks to enroll, even with taking the webinar. You did indicate in your other post that the sales rep did have to request an exception in your case? Please post the photo if you can. Here is a post with the directions.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-add-pictures-to-your-post.254720/
BTW, it was not the sales rep who requested an exemption. It was the Education Director (or something of that title) who was the presenter of the webcast.

urfriend

Reaction score
The 3475 on the spreadsheet is what you get in exchange for your week. The 4225 is what it costs to reserve the same week. The difference is called the skim, but we should call it the vig.
What spread sheet are you referring to? The difference in the 3 could be the view type. For example garden view, ocean view.

Weeks owners have preference at their home resort. So if you are trying to go back to your home resort using DP it will cost you more points than your week is worth. They give you an average of the season you own.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Barb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in the only Marriott week we own in Palm Desert last January. At the sales presentation, we were told thatwe could enroll our week in the Destinations program for points if we bought a 1,200 vacation package to a different Marriott resort. We are doing this and going to Marco Iland, Fl. In November. We do have to attend another presentation, but that's our only obligation.

pumbug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in the only Marriott week we own in Palm Desert last January. At the sales presentation, we were told thatwe could enroll our week in the Destinations program for points if we bought a 1,200 vacation package to a different Marriott resort. We are doing this and going to Marco Iland, Fl. In November. We do have to attend another presentation, but that's our only obligation.

We did the same deal last year at Shadowridge Palm Desert....used it at Newport Beach in April...presentation was not a big deal ...now have option to use our deeded week or points with no more II dues or other deposit/exchange fees. Dues are $185/year

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is your week bought pre June 2010? 1200 is an odd number since MVC sells in multiple of 250.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is an awesome deal if the week was bought after 2010

byebye

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a Beachplace platinum purchased thru Marriott and a resale Gold Aruba Surf Club purchased thru a private party which closed Jun, 2010 (it is eligible to convert) and I've been to a few presentations but never was offered a free move to destination points. I almost bought a package that would have cost $15K but backed out at the last minute. I've read through this thread but I'm still a little confused on where any of you were offered a free conversion. We will be traveling to Aruba come Dec and wondering if they will offer this then. Or should I just go to the owners website and question them about the free conversion?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That is an awesome deal if the week was bought after 2010
Marriott has been offering free enrollment with Encore packages for a couple of years now. The key is that the week has to be eligible for enrollment. Meaning it can't be an external resale bought after June 2010. There is currently only one way to get a post 6/2010 resale week in to DC, and that is by buying a big bundle of DC points when they offer this promotion. Something they have done the last two or three summers.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I managed to post this, just above... the presenter frequently used the word "internally" and "externally". When I login to my account, my weeks show under purchase type as "internal". So I do believe they are allowing resale weeks bought / brokered through Marriott to be enrolled. The question is what is the cutoff date.
If your weeks are listed as "Internal", why couldn't they have been enrolled all along? Had you tried going through the enrollment process online before? If so, what kind of message did it indicate to prevent you from enrolling them? I didn't think there was a limitation preventing internally purchased weeks from being enrolled? Were they perhaps listed as "External" before and perhaps they changed the categorization based on the exception that was given in order to enroll them?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your weeks are listed as "Internal", why couldn't they have been enrolled all along? Had you tried going through the enrollment process online before? If so, what kind of message did it indicate to prevent you from enrolling them? I didn't think there was a limitation preventing internally purchased weeks from being enrolled? Were they perhaps listed as "External" before and perhaps they changed the categorization based on the exception that was given in order to enroll them?
It had always been listed as Internal and I had tried to enroll in the past, just out of curiosity. The message was something like the weeks were ineligible for enrollment because they were already enrolled into Marriott Vacation Club Reward Points (which I assume to mean MRPs).

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I've read through this thread but I'm still a little confused on where any of you were offered a free conversion. We will be traveling to Aruba come Dec and wondering if they will offer this then. Or should I just go to the owners website and question them about the free conversion?
Not really "free" but no additional cost when an encore package (about $1,200) is purchased. For those who have not been offered this, when you get to the exit interview aka Encore sales session, tell them upfront, "I was told that if we attended this tour and bought an Encore Package, we could enroll our weeks for free. This has done the trick for some people, even when not offered up front.

Others have been offered "free" enrollment as their gift on a sales tour. I haven't heard if it has worked, but is worth a try to ask for it when you sign up for a tour.

Of course, all pre June 2010 resale purchases.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It had always been listed as Internal and I had tried to enroll in the past, just out of curiosity. The message was something like the weeks were ineligible for enrollment because they were already enrolled into Marriott Vacation Club Reward Points (which I assume to mean MRPs).

All direct/internal-purchase Weeks are and always have been eligible for the Marriott Rewards Points exchange benefit, including Weeks which have been purchased from Marriott's Resales Operations.

The only way that it makes any sense at all for Marriott Rewards to impact the enrollment eligibility of a Week is if the Owner has elected to exchange the Week for its allotment of MRP for the current Use Year, which may preclude enrollment until the next Use Year. I don't know if that's what actually happens because I don't remember ever seeing anything on TUG about that scenario ... but nothing else makes sense when it comes to the Marriott Rewards affiliation effectively blocking DC enrollment eligibility.

Was that the case when you tested enrollment?