• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Waiving Destination Points Enrolment Fee?

barryaz1

Reaction score
Per the Tug database used from collecting data from owners a platinum 2 BR week gets 3475 points, so not enough to book any full week during the platinum season. That is typical for most of the resorts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...guovIlHjggivemuPWYpnkSaXg/edit#gid=1983378178

Since you bought pre 2010 it likely will be free to enroll during this promotion. Most pre 2010ers who were remotely interested have already enrolled so it isn't that many. If you usually book at your home week even enrolled you won't be converting but will now owe additional fees to Marriott. Your unit doesn't lock out and you don't use II to exchange your week then it doesn't sound like it would save you anything but it would give you flexibility for the future. On the other hand Marriott hasn't imposed any additional resticitons on enrolling pre 2010 weeks so if you use your week for now, no reason to enroll until you want to actually use the internal exchange for partial weeks.

That spreadsheet shows 3475/4625/5300 for Platinum. What are the differences between the 3 levels? The period we usually go requires 4225 to reserve, so I do need to understand this. And on the sheet, the 2017 fees matches to the penny what I paid at the beginning of 2017, so what additional fees are there?

Thanks

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The 4625 is if you own an event week 52 NYE and the 5300 is if you own an event week 26 4th of July. All other float weeks get 3475 when they turn in their week for points.

The additional fee would be the annual fee. If this is your only enrolled week you would pay an additional $185 in club dues. It covers an II account for the enrolled week as well as any marriott to marriott exchange fees through II (but not the size upgrade fee).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Weeks purchased through Marriott Sales offices and weeks purchased through Marriott's Resale Dept are eligible. It doesn't matter when you purchased them.
Weeks purchased through Marriott Resales after June 2010 are not eligible to enroll in the DC program unless you take advantage of a hybrid package where you also buy trust points direct from Marriott. Weeks bought from Marriott Resales before June 2010 are eligible to enroll straight up. During initial enrollment the pricing structure for these Marriott Resale weeks was based on the direct purchase prices $595/$695 vs the $1495/$1995 enrollment fee that external resales had to pay.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
5000 DC points cost over $50K That to me is not a bargain.
That amount was well worth it for me. It would save me about 7k a year in exchange and lock off fees. So about 8 years to break even. Actually what i wanted to do was turn around and sell the points at $5 a point. My break even would have been in just 4 years. This was in 2011, so i would be close to breaking even. I would have definitely sold as i have no need for dc points. Just wanted to enroll weeks to save on the trade and lock off fees.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weeks purchased through Marriott Sales offices and weeks purchased through Marriott's Resale Dept are eligible. It doesn't matter when you purchased them.
Actually, you can't enroll a post-2010 week purchased through Marriott's 'direct resale' department. You can't even enroll one by buying DPs to make it part of a 'hybrid/bundled' package more than 12 months after your 'direct resale' week closes. You can only a MVCI 'direct resale' week by doing one of MVCI's 'amnesty' post-2010 enrollment promotions.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I just received email confirmation from a Marriott Sales Executive that the "free" enrollment offer is only for weeks purchased prior to June 2010. Post-June 2010 weeks are not eligible. It would have been great if they were eligible, but doing that would make absolutely no business sense for MVC. They make money by selling points, and allowing new resale weeks to be enrolled without a point purchase would directly undercut their point sales efforts.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I just received email confirmation from a Marriott Sales Executive that the "free" enrollment offer is only for weeks purchased prior to June 2010. Post-June 2010 weeks are not eligible. It would have been great if they were eligible, but doing that would make absolutely no business sense for MVC. They make money by selling points, and allowing new resale weeks to be enrolled without a point purchase would directly undercut their point sales efforts.
Yeah....if they were to start allowing post 2010 resales in for free....it would be time to sell VAC stock for sure.

lmweaverpg

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Darn....I was really getting my hopes up on free resale enrollment!

One little tidbit that was also keeping my hope alive: We're buying a resale week at Surfwatch through Marriott. We haven't closed yet, but the week does show up in our portfolio on the Marriott website, and it indicates it's enrolled. I'm guessing that they just haven't finished the full transfer process yet and they will fix that at some point. I am really tempted to click on that "Elect Vacation Points" button just to see what happens though!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

One little tidbit that was also keeping my hope alive: We're buying a resale week at Surfwatch through Marriott. We haven't closed yet, but the week does show up in our portfolio on the Marriott website, and it indicates it's enrolled. I'm guessing that they just haven't finished the full transfer process yet and they will fix that at some point. I am really tempted to click on that "Elect Vacation Points" button just to see what happens though!

I believe that is a timing issue and the enrollment reference will disappear. As I recall, the same thing happened when we bought Ko Olina on the resale market. Sure was excited when I saw it though. Maybe you will get lucky and this won't be your experience. Good luck.

Best regards.

Mike

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Maybe you should "Elect Vacation Points" and hope it forces DC enrollment that cannot be modified in future :) . I'd be curious what would happen...and how long it would take for MVC to reach out.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. We're very new to ownership with Marriott. Bought a legacy week during Gold Season in HH. I thought in order to covert into DC points we'd have to pay somewhere around $13.00 per point (based on how many points our week would convert to)? Is there really a NO cost to convert being offered or is it a promotion where a fee is waived but the per points cost remains?

TIA
Dee

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'm confused. We're very new to ownership with Marriott. Bought a legacy week during Gold Season in HH. I thought in order to covert into DC points we'd have to pay somewhere around $13.00 per point (based on how many points our week would convert to)? Is there really a NO cost to convert being offered or is it a promotion where a fee is waived but the per points cost remains?

TIA
Dee
It is only be offered for free if you bought pre 2010 and have resisted enrolling over the last 7 years. Post 2010 resales are not being offered free enrollment and are only being offered enrollment during various promotional periods with the purchase of points.

urfriend

Reaction score
I suspect it's "free" (meaning no enrollment fee) if you buy 3000 DC points. I think they have a promotion ongoing through September to enroll post-2010 private resales with the purchase of the point package. So while the points aren't free, the enrollment of the legacy week is.

New
CURRENTLY Marriott has a promotion to enroll your weeks FREE into the Destinations Program....if you watch a 45 minute webinar. But only if you purchased your week "Internal". External week purchases are not eligible.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
New
CURRENTLY Marriott has a promotion to enroll your weeks FREE into the Destinations Program....if you watch a 45 minute webinar. But only if you purchased your week "Internal". External week purchases are not eligible.
It must have a cutoff date otherwise everyone will be buying one off Marriott resales right now. I bought mine from Marriott (internal) in 2013 or so... and they were enrolled after watching the 45 min (ended up as 1.5 hours) webinar in early September of this year. I was notified on email to attend in August.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It must have a cutoff date otherwise everyone will be buying one off Marriott resales right now. I bought mine from Marriott (internal) in 2013 or so... and they were enrolled after watching the 45 min (ended up as 1.5 hours) webinar in early September of this year. I was notified on email to attend in August.
I am still not 100% certain that Marriott Resales are considered internal. They are still through a broker. Yours seems to have been an exception.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still not 100% certain that Marriott Resales are considered internal. They are still through a broker. Yours seems to have been an exception.
I actually captured a screen off the presentation... I forgot how to post a picture here. The screen actually defined what sort of weeks qualified for enrollment... and it split up between internally bought and externally bought as different lines. There was a note at the bottom that said something like weeks that were externally bought after June 2010 were not eligible for this enrollment.

If you PM me an (any) email address, I can send that screenshot to you...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I actually captured a screen off the presentation... I forgot how to post a picture here. The screen actually defined what sort of weeks qualified for enrollment... and it split up between internally bought and externally bought as different lines. There was a note at the bottom that said something like weeks that were externally bought after June 2010 were not eligible for this enrollment.
Even weeks bought from Marriott resales after June 2010 have been ineligible for enrollment, unless you bought like DC points. I am still not sure that the official policy is to allow Marriott Resale weeks to enroll, even with taking the webinar. You did indicate in your other post that the sales rep did have to request an exception in your case? Please post the photo if you can. Here is a post with the directions.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-add-pictures-to-your-post.254720/

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I managed to post this, just above... the presenter frequently used the word "internally" and "externally". When I login to my account, my weeks show under purchase type as "internal". So I do believe they are allowing resale weeks bought / brokered through Marriott to be enrolled. The question is what is the cutoff date.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I managed to post this, just above... the presenter frequently used the word "internally" and "externally". When I login to my account, my weeks show under purchase type as "internal". So I do believe they are allowing resale weeks bought / brokered through Marriott to be enrolled. The question is what is the cutoff date.
If correct and I was one that bought a Hybrid package to get an enrolled week, I would be pretty cheesed that I paid $40,000+ where someone can get something very similar for a fraction of the cost and only 45 minutes of their time.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham

Where do you see purchase type under your account? I can't seem to find this (but all my weeks are currently "external" so that might be why).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, so this is the new offer. I haven’t been reading tug. Marriott has been calling me relentlessly. I have a post June 2010 purchased unit. I’ll pick up the phone next time.
Unless you had bought internally, don't bother... They did not call me. The invitation came in email. Up until then, no one had called me or written to me other than one mistaken email about enrolling my weeks for free at Shadow Ridge when we were staying in Desert Springs.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If correct and I was one that bought a Hybrid package to get an enrolled week, I would be pretty cheesed that I paid $40,000+ where someone can get something very similar for a fraction of the cost and only 45 minutes of their time.

It is not very different as to how I would have felt if I had bought a bundled package when externally bought resale owners were offered 2500/3000 points to enroll one week, 3500/4000 to enroll 2 weeks etc. I was actually quite upset then that I told Marriott salesperson that that was ripping off folks who had bought a bundled package from Marriott. Also even though I had bought internally, I was not even given this information/offer other than reading about it from TUG from folks who had bought externally.

I think there are so few of us who actually bought internally without buying the bundled points. I cannot imagine more than 10 people or so... If I believe they will do this again, I would have bought another couple of weeks through Marriott and then sit on it and wait for the next wave when they allow this. I also suspect they need additional inventory for some of the resorts that they have selectively asked those who own those weeks who had bought "internally" to enroll.

Last edited: