• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Waiving Destination Points Enrolment Fee?

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a couple of Aruba Surf & Ocean Club weeks, along with Grande Ocean in Hilton Head (all weeks are platinum season). All of these were purchased as "after market" direct from previous owners.

I am visiting Grande Ocean this week => today I received a call to schedule a session to hear about my opportunity to convert my weeks to points at no charge. Apparently this is a savings of upwards to $2,400 in which they are running some sort of promotion over the next 3 weeks or so.

(i) Not sure if I heard correctly, wondering if anyone else has heard of same recently?

(ii) My personal experience is that I generally use my Aruba/HH properties or share with friends & family. If I want to go to other properties, I have been able to secure very good deals on Redweek

(iii) Based on my usage patterns not sure what I am gaining if I enter Destination points?

(iv) Is there any down side to me converting to points ... I suspect that one needs to pay for the yearly of approx. $185+ (which I currently do not pay, as I have decided to not to enrol in Interval)? Apparently the person advised (during my phone conversation) that I can still book my platinum weeks ... with no change to reservation process or maintenance fees.

Appreciate thoughts/comments.

Cheers,

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Others have posted the same. I also read of someone on Facebook receiving the same offer. The only real downside is the annual membership fee which you already addressed. However, just become you enroll in the program, it doesn't mean you need to convert your weeks. By enrolling, you open your account up to being able to rent Destination points from others along with your ability to convert. You'll have to decide if this is worth it to you for that annual fee.

If there is no cost to enroll, you're essentially paying the annual fee as an option to convert your weeks to points along with being able to rent. Personally, I would do it. It's a small cost in the overall vacation experience. Totally worth it.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
+1

If Marriott will enroll your resale weeks into the Destinations Club for free, go for it. You have little to lose (the annual fee) and a huge amount of flexibility to gain. And if you find you don't need that flexibility after a few years, you can just drop out of the DC and save future annual fees.

Many of us have paid thousands of dollars to enroll weeks or to buy points in order to enroll weeks.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I own a couple of Aruba Surf & Ocean Club weeks, along with Grande Ocean in Hilton Head (all weeks are platinum season). All of these were purchased as "after market" direct from previous owners.

I am visiting Grande Ocean this week => today I received a call to schedule a session to hear about my opportunity to convert my weeks to points at no charge. Apparently this is a savings of upwards to $2,400 in which they are running some sort of promotion over the next 3 weeks or so.

(i) Not sure if I heard correctly, wondering if anyone else has heard of same recently?

(ii) My personal experience is that I generally use my Aruba/HH properties or share with friends & family. If I want to go to other properties, I have been able to secure very good deals on Redweek

(iii) Based on my usage patterns not sure what I am gaining if I enter Destination points?

(iv) Is there any down side to me converting to points ... I suspect that one needs to pay for the yearly of approx. $185+ (which I currently do not pay, as I have decided to not to enrol in Interval)? Apparently the person advised (during my phone conversation) that I can still book my platinum weeks ... with no change to reservation process or maintenance fees.

Cheers,
I received a call roughly stating the same (I own a resale 3BR EOYE Grand Chateau). I asked several questions/made several comments. Salesman confirmed I could enroll my post Jun 10 resale into DP, but I'd need to buy about $30K in points. I told him no thanks, but to let me know if they ever offer conversion without needing to purchase additional DPs.

He said I was very knowledgeable. I let him know I get/got all my info from TUG :) He had good things to say about TUG and said he was a member (so he may be reading this post).

FWIW, the 3BR would net me 2300 and change in DPs every year...so 4600 and change total for my unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I received a call roughly stating the same (I own a resale 3BR EOYE Grand Chateau). I asked several questions/made several comments. Salesman confirmed I could enroll my post Jun 10 resale into DP, but I'd need to buy about $30K in points. I told him no thanks, but to let me know if they ever offer conversion without needing to purchase additional DPs.

He said I was very knowledgeable. I let him know I get/got all my info from TUG :) He had good things to say about TUG and said he was a member (so he may be reading this post).

FWIW, the 3BR would net me 2300 and change in DPs every year...so 4600 and change total for my unit.

You can only convert to points in years where you have use, though you can borrow or bank them so you can use them in the non use year.

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I was at GO last year, they wanted me to buy $20K of points. Apparently (based on a 5 minute phone conversation), the person advised no need to acquire any more points if I want to convert this year???

Thx.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
You can only convert to points in years where you have use, though you can borrow or bank them so you can use them in the non use year.
That's what I thought, but the salesman told me the DPs would be per year (half of use year). I questioned his comment, and he confirmed. I didn't press anymore since I wasn't interested in buying points.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Cheers,
Seen a couple of posts for people with offers like this. Then when they show up it was a mistake as mvc body snatchers did not know enrolling was not possible for weeks bought resale after june 2010 without buying dp points( i think that was the cutoff).

Highly unlikely that weeks bought resale post june 2010 will be enrolled in weeks for free. I believe they are still running the program to enroll a post resale week if you buy 2500 or 3000 dp points from mvc.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Seen a couple of posts for people with offers like this. Then when they show up it was a mistake as mvc body snatchers did not know enrolling was not possible for weeks bought resale after june 2010 without buying dp points( i think that was the cutoff).

Highly unlikely that weeks bought resale post june 2010 will be enrolled in weeks for free. I believe they are still running the program to enroll a post resale week if you buy 2500 or 3000 dp points from mvc.

Salesman told me it's 1000 (or 1500) DPs for this never-before-seen offer

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Tug member ljmiii posted he enrolled a post resale week into dp program but had to buy 3000 dp points. This was on june 30 2017.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Tug member ljmiii posted he enrolled a post resale week into dp program but had to buy 3000 dp points. This was on june 30 2017.

Yes that is possible when they are offering that promotion but that was $35,000 ish, not free.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes that is possible when they are offering that promotion but that was $35,000 ish, not free.
That is my response to op. Mvc ia not going to do anything for free.

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this will come at a cost of buying Points...

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Cheers,

1. As mentioned, they'll want you to buy points to get your current weeks enrolled. The salesman will probably tell you the new trust points will "supercharge" your enrolled weeks point value. It's a BS line IMHO.

2/3. If you use your home weeks, you're not gaining anything except potential flexibility if/when you need it. We typically haven't needed that flexibility but, shortly after joining the DC we had health issues and a change in jobs, which meant fewer vacation days. Having the flesability of points allowed us to tailor our vacations to what we had available for vacation days. It also allows us to book Tuesday or Wednesday as arrival/departure days for cheaper airfare.

4. Not much downside unless they want you to invest in additional points, which come at a very high cost IMHO. Even at their original price, pin to were far to expensive to ever consider an additional direct purchase.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
That is my response to op. Mvc ia not going to do anything for free.

You have to convince them to let you enroll yours for $35,000 Frank! Wouldn't that be a deal ? lol

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have to convince them to let you enroll yours for $35,000 Frank! Wouldn't that be a deal ? lol
I would be all over that if they agreed! Would make it the deal and i would break even on trade and lockout fees in 7 years.

So still coming next month to mko?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I would be all over that if they agreed! Would make it the deal and i would break even on trade and lockout fees in 7 years.

So still coming next month to mko?

Did they ever come up with a price ? Wow at 7 years that is still a long time to break even.

I'm tentatively coming Sept 24-Oct 4 but just making sure I have someone covering the office. Its getting to the point though that I don't care and just need to get on that plane no matter what, as I am exhausted working 7 days a week.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is from the DC Points FAQ, with a link to the ongoing thread for similar promotions:
  • In 2015 MVW introduced a recurring DC Points sales incentive that allows enrollment of otherwise-ineligible Weeks with a purchase of DC Trust Points. Each recurrence is subject to incentive begin-and-end dates, specific cut-off dates for the resale Weeks, and specific Trust Points minimums. See this ongoing thread: Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [Merged]

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did they ever come up with a price ? Wow at 7 years that is still a long time to break even.

I'm tentatively coming Sept 24-Oct 4 but just making sure I have someone covering the office. Its getting to the point though that I don't care and just need to get on that plane no matter what, as I am exhausted working 7 days a week.
Gotta relax once in a while so why not at mko where the weather is nice and the resort is not crowded?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See you in 7 weeks!

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Just returned from Grande Ocean, where they spent a good amount of time trying to convince me to attend the meeting and enroll my two Maui weeks for free. I guess it's nice that they're doing this, but the program just isn't for us.

dewdrops

Reaction score
Hi NTP-
Were your weeks purchased pre-2010 and were they developer OR resale purchased?
I would like to enroll week for Free, if you can PM me the name of sales person/Marriott rep.
Thanks!!
J

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe Marriott would be offering free enrollment to post 2010 weeks bought privately. If it looks to good too be true.... you know the rest...

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I can't believe Marriott would be offering free enrollment to post 2010 weeks bought privately. If it looks to good to be true.... you know the rest...

I suspect it's "free" (meaning no enrollment fee) if you buy 3000 DC points. I think they have a promotion ongoing through September to enroll post-2010 private resales with the purchase of the point package. So while the points aren't free, the enrollment of the legacy week is.