• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott/Vistana overlay

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
One thing that could perhaps simplify the marketing of Hyatt Vacation Club would be if MVC dropped Marriott from its name.

Yes! Perhaps they could simply assume the Vistana name! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One thing that could perhaps simplify the marketing of Hyatt Vacation Club would be if MVC dropped Marriott from its name.
I don't think Marriott Vacation Club would drop the Marriott in its name, but Marriott Vacations Worldwide (VAC) certainly could. I think perhaps that is what you meant? Under VAC would exist the four vacation clubs, Marriott Vacation Club, SHeraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club and Hyatt Residence Club.

In the mid 1990s when Marriott Corporation spun off their airport vendor service company, that company became Host Marriott Services. After several years it was renamed to HMS Host. To this day when you buy something at many airport gift shops, food court restaurants or even the Starbucks in an airport, your receipt will show HMS Host. VAC could do something similar to remove "Marriott" from "Vacations Worldwide".

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes! Perhaps they could simply assume the Vistana name! :)

That would be a good idea! I know the Vistana name wasn't well received in the beginning, but it does have a lot of history behind it.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I don't see any short or medium term chance Marriott International gets anywhere near the Hyatt name....but never say never.

As has been pointed out, the MVC purchase of ILG is a complicated one. I guarantee you that they didn't just complete the purchase on the basis they would "figure it out" later as regards Hyatt Vacation Club. There most certainly was an agreement struck between MVC and Hyatt as to the brand licensing at least for the short/medium term. I suspect Hyatt enjoys a nice revenue stream that they had no desire to jeopardize as the larger hotel market adjusts to the Marriott/Starwood merger. Likely they agreed to allow MVC to continue the brand license under some strict guidelines for a 3-5 year period. MVC clearly intends to (and needs to) sort out how to "harmonize" the Marriott and Vistana timeshare portfolios as a priority and will then turn to Hyatt subsequently.

One thing I think is often forgotten (or just glossed over) on these Boards is that MVC is NOT owned or controlled by Marriott. It's a completely separate legal entity with completely separate shareholding, management and Board of Directors. They simply license the Marriott name...and of course have very strong historic ties. However, there's nothing preventing them from pursuing a strategy independent of Marriott International. I mention this because it is possible MVC finds a way to get Hyatt comfortable with a longer term licensing strategy and they continue to use the Hyatt name for "vacation ownership" uses. I'm curious to see if MVC pursues the "borg like" strategy of Marriott International or if it perhaps decides there is some value in maintaining some brand distinction. Nothing prevents them from harmonizing all the back end operations while maintaining a distinct brand identity for Hyatt.

In fact, that last part is one of the single biggest open questions in my mind for MVC. Marriott International has been very clear that it intends to maintain the 30+ separate brands under the hotel umbrellas and contends that it can maintain brand distinction and differentiation. This is something I think the MVC (and the timeshare industry in general) has done a fairly poor job at. MVC has always lumped everything under the Marriott name (save for a few Ritz destination club locations which seem to me to have been largely been disastrous ventures); while Vistana has Westin, Sheraton and Vistana branded locations, I couldn't tell you how they really differ from a brand identity standpoint. With multiple brands now under it's belt, I wonder if/how MVC will differentiate them.

One thing we've not talked about in this thread is how the execution of the Marriott International merger may be effecting the timing and approach of MVC as it comes to Vistana. I don't think it's off base to say the execution hasn't been great and many loyalty members on BOTH sides are not happy about vaiorus things. If I were MVC, I'd be watching to make sure to avoid the same issues and may even be deciding whether or not there is some value in maintaining distinct portfolios.

It'll be interesting to see what happens :)

One quibble about RC. Not sure I'd label it disastrous. All the RC TS properties are superior, luxury. MI still have Residences all over the world as well. The brand is very much alive and well. We enjoy staying there and the RC TS are some of the best around.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That would be a good idea! I know the Vistana name wasn't well received in the beginning, but it does have a lot of history behind it.

I need to work on my sarcasm.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I need to work on my sarcasm.

I knew it was sarcasm, but I still like the idea! Vistana Vacations Worldwide!

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don't think Marriott Vacation Club would drop the Marriott in its name, but Marriott Vacations Worldwide (VAC) certainly could. I think perhaps that is what you meant? Under VAC would exist the four vacation clubs, Marriott Vacation Club, SHeraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club and Hyatt Residence Club.

In the mid 1990s when Marriott Corporation spun off their airport vendor service company, that company became Host Marriott Services. After several years it was renamed to HMS Host. To this day when you buy something at many airport gift shops, food court restaurants or even the Starbucks in an airport, your receipt will show HMS Host. VAC could do something similar to remove "Marriott" from "Vacations Worldwide".

You're correct. I meant VAC dropping the Marriott name and then managing four vacation clubs.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Basically Its a bunch of Marriott owners saying “we already paid” you Vistana people were acquired, deal with it, pay up to come to our resorts” to be completely honest.... I don’t like Marriott resorts. Don’t think any are as nice as a Westin.

I think I need to move back to Vistana board to avoid further bullying. Basically just few believe they have the entitlement to say, Marriott can access VSN for free because we bought you, face it, your timeshare got bought out, that’s reality. Vistana people, just to pay up.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think I need to move back to Vistana board to avoid further bullying. Basically just few believe they have the entitlement to say, Marriott can access VSN for free because we bought you, face it, your timeshare got bought out, that’s reality. Vistana people, just to pay up.
That’s exactly what they say here and other boards on other platforms. When you call them out, you’re the negative one. Hah funny thing is you weren’t even negative in that post. You were saying it wasn’t right that others were being entitled. I don’t want a joint program. Keep them separate. You’re talking about people that think st Kitts is great lol. The seaweed dump. Keep them out of my favorite resorts lol. They want everything because they haven’t had it ever. Apparently they are having inventory booking issues from what I’m hearing on other boards.. this is what we have to look forward to. Never liked Marriott as a company so this isn’t great.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s exactly what they say here and other boards on other platforms. When you call them out, you’re the negative one. Hah funny thing is you weren’t even negative in that post. You were saying it wasn’t right that others were being entitled. I don’t want a joint program. Keep them separate. You’re talking about people that think st Kitts is great lol. The seaweed dump. Keep them out of my favorite resorts lol. They want everything because they haven’t had it ever. Apparently they are having inventory booking issues from what I’m hearing on other boards.. this is what we have to look forward to. Never liked Marriott as a company so this isn’t great.

These are the people can’t wait to occupy our Westin resorts. I can smell they want our Westin. Any Westin is much better than their resorts in somewhere nowhere. They got mad when I called it’s $5.99 buffet with 200 items. I want SVN separated and I’m really fine to just stay at our Westin. If we don’t enroll, they will have inventory issue because they will be left with all unsold flex inventory filled with Palm Springs or Orlando.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
These are the people can’t wait to occupy our Westin resorts. I can smell they want our Westin. Any Westin is much better than their resorts in somewhere nowhere. They got mad when I called it’s $5.99 buffet with 200 items. I want SVN separated and I’m really fine to just stay at our Westin. If we don’t enroll, they will have issue because they will be left with all unsold flex inventory filled with Palm Springs or Orlando.
The problem with people is they listen to these sales people. They won’t want to be “left out” so they will give their deeds back and we will lose inventory. If we have to enroll we will have to give out deeds back and buy into their new program. I’m not giving up my mandatory deeds. As a matter of face I’m picking up more. More options at a lower maint fee.

I agree, they all want Westin and don’t want to pay, because MVC has always made them pay. I hate that they bought us. They think they are better because they were the buyers. In reality it’s usually the smaller more unique, better quality product that gets bought up by the big guys and then quality goes to junk.

It’s like frito lay, they bought up all the smaller craft potato chip companies eating into their business. Now you have mass produced garbage being sold as artisan chips but it’s still made by frito lay. We are the quality chip, they were the cheese doodles with a bigger market lol. Of course they had more money, they nickeled and dimed their customers

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
These are the people can’t wait to occupy our Westin resorts. I can smell they want our Westin. Any Westin is much better than their resorts in somewhere nowhere. They got mad when I called it’s $5.99 buffet with 200 items. I want SVN separated and I’m really fine to just stay at our Westin. If we don’t enroll, they will have inventory issue because they will be left with all unsold flex inventory filled with Palm Springs or Orlando.
On another note, do you think Sheraton villages would delay closing on resales to screw anyone and approve it after a joint program? NoT that it matters I’m not enrolling it

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On another note, do you think Sheraton villages would delay closing on resales to screw anyone and approve it after a joint program? NoT that it matters I’m not enrolling it
I just closed one, it closed in 4 weeks.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
To be fair (while sometimes the written word can come across harsh), I think the reasoning for "Marriott weeks getting access to Vistana for free" is in reality because Marriott weeks already paid an enrollment fee to join the DC program. If they just add Westin and Sheraton to the DC program, then Marriott owners who are already enrolled would automatically get access with their current enrollment. If Vistana owners want to be able to exchange across all products, then they would have to pay the enrollment fee just like Marriott owners did up to nine years ago.

Is that really how I think it will play out. Probably not. I really would prefer a cross program where you can book inventory between systems at six months out. A Marriott owners DC points convert to n StarOptions and a Vistana owners StarOptions convert to n DC points. That would be my ideal system and would protect everyone's existing usage rights either within their home resorts or in DC or VSN. If you want to go between the two systems, you kind of end up with leftovers. If they went this route, expect some type of transaction fee, perhaps on a per point basis to convert in a year.

All of this is of course speculation, as was everything in the thread over on the Marriott board. Nothing was seen in writing as it related to an integrated program between the two systems.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
T

All of this is of course speculation, as was everything in the thread over on the Marriott board. Nothing was seen in writing as it related to an integrated program between the two systems.

Ahh... Rumors, Propaganda, Gossip. Sounds good to dream! :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
To be fair (while sometimes the written word can come across harsh), I think the reasoning for "Marriott weeks getting access to Vistana for free" is in reality because Marriott weeks already paid an enrollment fee to join the DC program. If they just add Westin and Sheraton to the DC program, then Marriott owners who are already enrolled would automatically get access with their current enrollment. If Vistana owners want to be able to exchange across all products, then they would have to pay the enrollment fee just like Marriott owners did up to nine years ago.

Is that really how I think it will play out. Probably not. I really would prefer a cross program where you can book inventory between systems at six months out. A Marriott owners DC points convert to n StarOptions and a Vistana owners StarOptions convert to n DC points. That would be my ideal system and would protect everyone's existing usage rights either within their home resorts or in DC or VSN. If you want to go between the two systems, you kind of end up with leftovers. If they went this route, expect some type of transaction fee, perhaps on a per point basis to convert in a year.

That’s kind of what I think could happen as well, there be an cross over booking fee, just like we pay to bank points. As long as the inventory doesn’t come from the same trust I’m booking in with my staroptions then sure let them book. They can come to our resorts, but they better clean up after themselves lol.

It seems we have been hearing a common theme among everyone who has just been to their owners/sales update on the MVC side. It would be interested to see what Vistana owners are being T/Sold

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really would prefer a cross program where you can book inventory between systems at six months out. A Marriott owners DC points convert to n StarOptions and a Vistana owners StarOptions convert to n DC points. That would be my ideal system and would protect everyone's existing usage rights

This would be my preference as well. However, this would have a major shortcoming since there is very little desirable inventory at 6 months. If I have to pay hundreds of $ or few thousand $ to enroll my Vistana weeks to DC and I only have access at 6 months to Orlando, that is not a good thing.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I think they will keep the DC as the main trading system and offer enrollment ($) to Vistana owners. Once you deposit your weeks in the system you would have access to the same inventory as everyone else. This makes more sense in the long run both from a sales prospective and from a administrative prospective since it does not create even more complexity. You would still have the VSN but it time it may become less relevant to the majority of Vistana owners.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
@DannyTS , I agree. DC will eventually be the primary since it’s already works. Ppl need to remember that it has taken a decade for DC to reach current levels(60/40 split). Every TS Company has a Points System and due to maturation, it’s where the industry is going. Shell owners are receiving the same pressure to convert to some whack Wyndham program. There are those whom have converted because it opens access to all of Wyndham for a small fee, while others are content w/ Shell. Different Strokes for Different Folks.
Personally, my only interest is to see how to incorporate my non mandatories.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
My question if they keep Flex how will it roll into DC. Will MVC try to convert to DC first via a one time offer which will bypass Flex? Will Flex ultimately have access to DC? So many questions?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@DannyTS , I agree. DC will eventually be the primary since it’s already works. Ppl need to remember that it has taken a decade for DC to reach current levels(60/40 split). Every TS Company has a Points System and due to maturation, it’s where the industry is going. Shell owners are receiving the same pressure to convert to some whack Wyndham program. There are those whom have converted because it opens access to all of Wyndham for a small fee, while others are content w/ Shell. Different Strokes for Different Folks.
Personally, my only interest is to see how to incorporate my non mandatories.
Agree, I just need to pick up more mandatories lol I bet owning lagunamar is probably a good idea, MVC doesn’t have a location there to my knowledge. Bet those would “convert” high for the inventory.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree, I just need to pick up more mandatories lol I bet owning lagunamar is probably a good idea, MVC doesn’t have a location there to my knowledge. Bet those would “convert” high for the inventory.

I really considered buying a plat lagunamar as a speculation on the conversion. We would probably use it at least some of the time, so the worst case scenario isn't that bad. If the didn't offer a conversion or it was too costly we'd just use it.

However, what held me back was the risk that even if they do offer a conversion they won't be attractive on points. I think the risk is they fill the need for Mexico inventory by using unsold Adventuras inventory somehow, which they probably still have tons given they just did two hotel conversions. And I think they'll feel restricted on Cancun points by the (relatively low, imo) DC points values they gave to their own Caribbean properties.