TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott/Vistana overlay

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by GregT, Feb 20, 2019.

1. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    ski_sierra makes a good point, so I will offer one clarification...I believe the maintenance fees collected do actually appear on Marriott Vacations Worldwide's corporate income statement, since there is a large income line item on the 10-K "Cost Reimbursements" ($925 Million in 2018, second only to Sales Revenue), but the key is, that Revenue line is directly and exactly offset by an expense item also called "Cost Reimbursements" ($925 Million also in 2018). The 10-K defines "Cost Reimbursements" as:

Cost reimbursements include direct and indirect costs that are reimbursed to us by customers under management contracts. All costs, with the exception of taxes assessed by a governmental authority, reimbursed to us by customers are reported on a gross basis. We recognize cost reimbursements when we incur the related reimbursable costs. Cost reimbursements consist of actual expenses with no added margin.

I interpret these offsetting revenue/expense line items as the Maintenance fees collected on behalf of the HOAs by MVW Corporate and the expenses paid out on behalf of the HOAs. So, while the Management Fee is the only component of maintenance fees that truly flows to the bottom line of MVW, it's probably incorrect on my part to imply that the maintenance fees are totally independent of the MVW income statement - they may be there, but only on a pass-thru basis since MVW handles the collection of fees and disbursements to vendors.

Here is some additional color on that topic, also from the 10-K:

We provide day-to-day-management services, including housekeeping services, operation of reservation systems, maintenance and certain accounting and administrative services for property owners’ associations, condominium owners and hotels.

We generate revenue from fees we earn for managing vacation ownership resorts, clubs, owners’ associations, condominiums and hotels. In our Vacation Ownership segment, these fees are earned regardless of usage or occupancy and are typically based on either a percentage of the budgeted costs to operate the resorts or a fixed fee arrangement (“VO management fee revenues”). ... In addition, we receive reimbursement of costs incurred on behalf of our customers, which consist of actual expenses with no added margin (“cost reimbursements”). Vacation Ownership segment cost reimbursements revenues exclude amounts that we have paid to the property owners’ associations related to maintenance fees for unsold vacation ownership products, as we have concluded that such payments are consideration payable to a customer.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    ski_sierra likes this.
  2. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Higher MF makes it harder to sell new units. The history of timesharing shows this motivation very clearly. In every single developer operated project I'm aware of, fees have increased by materially more than inflation in the first years after sellout. There are a few reasons for this - the MF are generally initially subsidized by the developer to ease sales. There are also tricks to reduce MF initially (commonly used by whole ownership condos as well) such as initially underfunding reserves. I also believe (but cannot prove) that many of the developer controlled management companies begin to take liberties over time with their HOAs (by purchasing supplies and services from related parties, for example).

The use of a trust changes this dynamic. Because the MVC trust will never sell out, they don't really subsidize it initially. They also have more of an incentive to keep the MF low over time, because the ability to sell more points is vastly more valuable than the ability to raise management revenue. I hadn't thought of it until now, but that is actually a potentially good reason to buy trust points. I suspect they will endeavor to keep the MF low, maybe moreso than other developers. That said, I would say HGVC has the best record for keeping MF reasonable among the hotel developers so far.

ski_sierra likes this.
  3. 4Sunsets

4Sunsets Guest

Trust points in MVC have always been more expensive than week points comparatively, and with the increases trust points are in many cases substantially more. It's unfortunate, because MVC wants us all to buy into points but they make the points #1 so expensive compared to the weeks previous to points #2 make the MF higher than with weeks points and #3 make it practically impossible to resell your points and get any value back.

I agree on HGVC, so far it seems at most resorts, HGVC has. There are exceptions, however, where MF is very high.

4. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Thanks for pointing this out. That is what I meant to say and missed typed it. I know better.

5. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, HGVC Craigendarroch, Marriott Grand Chateau
    @GregT @JIMinNC @dioxide45 @bizaro86 Thanks for indulging me. I realize that my questions were off topic for this thread. I might start a different thread for more questions.

SteelerGal and DannyTS like this.
  6. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Just a data point. We are at HGVC Elara this weekend which is across the street from the MVC Grand Chateau. Although we are only here 4 nights with no midweek clean, they told us that we can call for towel changes and garbage pick up daily if desired with no extra fee. We requested today and they delivered within 15 minutes and came into the room to collect garbage which IMO is more upscale than having to leave outside door or putting in a trash dumpster yourself. MF here runs several hundred dollars lower than Grand Chateau

We stayed at Grand Chateau in March. Very nice and offered family activities. Elara doesn't have activities. Would rather pay for housekeeping/towel and trash than activities because this is Vegas with plenty to do. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

According to Marriott, these are the Vistana "weeds": 4 category 7, 11 category 6 and only 4 category 5 resorts.

The question is: would the Marriott owners be better off if , theoretically speaking, Vistana was owned by HGVC instead? I think that we all know the answer.

upload_2019-6-7_8-17-55.png

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    SteelerGal and CalGalTraveler like this.
  8. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Newport Coast Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    Thanks for sharing the list. What category is Harborside at Atlantis? I couldn’t find it on Marriott.com.

Is Marriott is saying theses are “weeds” or is someone on TUG saying that from their own perspective. Either way I would disagree.

Best regards.

Mike

9. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

it was a comment made previously by 4Sunsets on Tug, see the top of my previous comment.

10. SteelerGal

SteelerGal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WDW, WKV, SDO, HPP, HH, Bay Club
    Interesting that Maui dropped 10k.

11. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Harborside is not part of Marriott hotels as far as I can tell. You can book the other sections of Atlantis through Marriott.com and it is considered autograph collection but Harborside is not part of that.

dioxide45 likes this.
  12. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    A reminder that Marriott does not attach Category numbers to the properties based on quality (such as a AAA or Michelin rating) but instead the categories are assigned based on the popularity of award reservations for the property.

duke likes this.
  13. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Are you sure that's how it works? When Starwood was independent, categories were set based on ADR (average daily rate). I would guess marriott does something similar, because they have to pay the hotel's for the rooms, and "popularity" will be less important to the hotel owners than money.

14. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    The way that @controller1 mentioned is how Marriott allocated categories prior to their merger with Starwood. Do they still do it that way now after the merger? I am not sure.

15. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    According to the company reps on FlyerTalk, Marriott still utilizes award utilization for determining a property's Award Category.

bizaro86 likes this.
  16. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Interesting. That is very different than how Starwood did it. It seems to me that should result in hotels in business cities being systemically underpriced compared to resort properties where more people will want to redeem.

17. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Yes, it is very different than using ADR.

18. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista, Westin Lagunamar, Westin St John, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, DRI (Hawaii & US Collections)
    To each his own. We have 4 Westin/Starwood ownerships and one Marriott ownership. We stay in our Westin ownerships (Lagunamar & St John), we trade our Marriott ownership, usually into another Marriott. We have been doing this for more than 10 years and have yet to see a discernible difference in unit or resort quality. Indeed, we have yet to trade one of our Westin ownerships for a Marriott unit. So I beg to differ with your view of Westin/Vistana.

ACE1, controller1, Anne&Jim and 6 others like this.
  19. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    +1

We own five Westins and two Marriotts. I see no overall difference in quality between the Westins we have stayed at (Ka'anapali, Kierland, Princeville, Lakeside Terrace (Vail), Nanea, Cancun) vs. the Marriotts we have visited (Newport Coast, Maui, Wailokoa, Waiohai, Kauai Beach Club, Timberlodge). We prefer the decor at the Westins, but that is not a deal point. For that matter, the two Hyatts we have visited (Tahoe and Carmel) are also of the same high caliber.

Some of the Sheratons on the east coast may be laggards, but based on the low number of destination points required to reserve them, the older Marriotts at Hilton Head and Orlando must also suffer by comparison.

Marriott is a good system, but it is not in a class by itself -- not even close.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    ACE1, controller1, Anne&Jim and 6 others like this.
  20. Henry M.

Henry M. TUG Member

I also like the Westins. I traded with an owner at the Marriott Waiohai, and enjoyed it, but din't find it better than the Westin Princeville. The Poipu location is nice, but the property itself is just comparable, not better, for my taste. It is also the only place where I've ever had something stolen at the beach.

I own at WKORV and WKORVN, and enjoy those locations better than being on Ka'anapali Beach proper, due to the amount of people there. When I bought my first WKORV pre-construction, I considered Marriott, but at the time they only had the hotel conversion units which weren't even close to the Westin. I also like the reef in front of the Westin property. The new Marriott towers are a similar category, and so is the Hyatt. I considered a Hyatt unit, but didn't like the fixed week concept, with no lock-off. I can't always go on a fixed week. I also own at the Westin in St. John, and prefer that island over St. Thomas. I've been to Palm Springs and Kierland too, and really liked the properties there too. Lagunamar is a very nice property too. I have not visited any Orlando locations.

The only thing I like about the Marriott system is the couple of European locations, but I haven't exchanged into them yet. I like the Hyatt locations and properties, but the fixed weeks are an issue for me.

Overall, I think all three brands are pretty nice. I've staked my choice on Westins, but could see staying at the other brands. However, I don't see how Westin could be viewed as any lower quality than Marriott or Hyatt.

Lately, I've been renting my units and going the VRBO route when I want to go elsewhere. Maui ownership is easy to rent for more than the maintenance fees, and VRBO/HomeAway gives me many more options at locations that don't have timeshares, like many European cities. Maui is still my favorite place, though, with Westin locations at the top of my list.

Anne&Jim, hittle123 and DannyTS like this.
  21. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, Aulani, Worldmark
    All,

I think 4Sunsets is just jerking our chain. It’s an odd series of posts, I’m just happy with my Marriotts and my Vistanas (and my HGVCs)! All are good properties and happy to visit any of them.

Best,

Greg

VacationForever and klpca like this.
  22. 4Sunsets

4Sunsets Guest

Westin's haven't really impressed me or any in my family. That said, not a one of us is happy with Marriott at all since the merger. Especially the nonsense related to Suite Nights. It's so wonderful (sarcasm) to be LTP/LTT for a decade and now have to jump through hoops to get benefits we used to get w/o having to jump through hoops. Marriott ruined the whole system by basically making everyone platinum and then deciding that to get upgrades to suites we now have to once again stay XYZ number of nights a year. Not to mention all the other perks taken away. Most of my family (and everyone I know) is switching their loyalty to Hilton. Diamond status is $450 a year w tons of perks on the Aspire card and we don't have to jump through hoops and cast wishes to the heavens.

23. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

It seems like Marriott is always finding ways to Bonvoy its customers. Although Hilton is not perfect, they seem to do a better job trying to keep their customers satisfied and are not always devaluing at every opportunity nor doing something on the condition that the customer must spend more money.

I have to call in a room award cancellation today and am nervous that all my points return to my Marriott account. Never have that concern with Hilton.

Anne&Jim and 4Sunsets like this.
  24. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    I’ve canceled and changed multiple Marriott reservations using points since the beginning of this year and it immediately credits correctly to my account, which is not what I could say about Starwood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Are your complaints about the hotels (as your post seems to indicate now) or the timeshare resorts? Obviously, and as discussed ad nauseam, the system has been diluted.

I certainly can’t agree with you re the timeshares...Westin is consistently better than Marriott in almost every respect. As previously mentioned in another post, Marriott’s do not have consistent standards throughout all resorts which is not true with Westin. And, of course, there are feature differences, such as the studio/small 1-bed being full service with kitchen and laundry vs a hotel room with Marriott.

In any case, you should visit those resorts that appeal to you. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anne&Jim and ski_sierra like this.