• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Surf Club Aruba [Merged]

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, FantaSea Resort Atlantic City NJ
So recently purchased a resale through RedWeek for a two bedroom lockoff weeks 18-50 to choose from. Got confirmation today all transfer documentation is complete and Marriott should be contacting us shortly. Not sure what happens next and we don’t need a two bedroom at the moment so just would like to know what info anyone could share on the next steps to come and how to rent out half of the unit ?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
So recently purchased a resale through RedWeek for a two bedroom lockoff weeks 18-50 to choose from. Got confirmation today all transfer documentation is complete and Marriott should be contacting us shortly. Not sure what happens next and we don’t need a two bedroom at the moment so just would like to know what info anyone could share on the next steps to come and how to rent out half of the unit ?

So, first assumption (since I don't know anything about Aruba units) is that the unit is actually a lock-off unit? Once you receive your owner documentation from MVC it will include your owner account number. You will need that to go online at www.mvci.com to create your online account. Once that is done you will be able to log-in and see the weeks and/or points that you own in your 'Vacation Club Portfolio'. There will be an option to select how you want to use your owned week. If your unit can be locked-off, you can choose between occupy the entire 2BR unit, occupy the master suite, or occupy the remaining portion of your unit (for some it will appear as a studio and others a 1BR depending on the property and unit type). After you decide how/which part you want to use, you will need to make a reservation within your owned season from the dates available. For owners of legacy weeks (which is what it sounds like you have, unless they told you your week is 'enrolled'), there will be a lock-off fee. Once you have your reservation confirmation, you can create a rental listing on Redweek or your preferred rental site. Good luck.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Personally I wouldn’t try to rent the studio. Most timeshare owners don’t want to stay in a studio.

I would deposit the studio and try to upgrade to a 1 bedroom at Aruba or another location during the year. I own 3 lock offs and always lock off and trade. Own 2.5 weeks and get 5 weeks each year.

There are owners that rent maybe they can give a idea how easy or hard it is to rent a studio.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I know I've spoken to lots of renters on the beach, and Aruba studios do rent. Assuming your first year of use is 2020, as soon as you can make a reservation reserve a summer week. If you don't want to go over the summer, then reserve the studio for rental for a summer week and the other half for use when you'd prefer to go. Summer weeks are in higher demand and will rent for more money. Great for family trips when an extra unit is needed, and it is definitely a summer family beach destination.
My favorite place to relax and veg- there are lots of owners here so if you need advice before your first trip, just ask. Congrats on a great purchase!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm making the assumptions you don't already own a Marriott or have an II account as well as that you do not get the 2019 week as part of the deal. If you get the 2019 week you need to call and see if you can get things moving. For 2020 and beyond decide what week you want/need and find out the day that inventory is released. There's a good (not perfect) calculator on the MVC website that will help you but for ASC half the inventory is released 13 months out from the Thursday of that week and the other half 12 months out from the Thursday. Availability may already be gone for weeks that are now open to reserve. As noted you can do a lockout (with fee) and reserve different weeks if you wanted. You could even do them back to back, change rooms and stay longer which would be my suggestion. Even if you can't stay a full 2 weeks go in Thursday or Friday and come back on Mon or Tues 10-11 days later.

As for the studio if you don't need it, I'd rent it unless you have an II account anyway or plan to join II otherwise. But you can also investigate other exchange companies that might not require a yearly fee and be cheaper but they won't have the inventory of II. If you do have or join II, I'd deposit it and try to exchange the studio to a 1 BR then you could rent out the owned 1 BR instead. There are lots of variables and questions you might have and there's no way we could anticipate everything that you need at this point. Please ask additional questions, we'll help if we can.

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, first assumption (since I don't know anything about Aruba units) is that the unit is actually a lock-off unit? Once you receive your owner documentation from MVC it will include your owner account number. You will need that to go online at www.mvci.com to create your online account. Once that is done you will be able to log-in and see the weeks and/or points that you own in your 'Vacation Club Portfolio'. There will be an option to select how you want to use your owned week. If your unit can be locked-off, you can choose between occupy the entire 2BR unit, occupy the master suite, or occupy the remaining portion of your unit (for some it will appear as a studio and others a 1BR depending on the property and unit type). After you decide how/which part you want to use, you will need to make a reservation within your owned season from the dates available. For owners of legacy weeks (which is what it sounds like you have, unless they told you your week is 'enrolled'), there will be a lock-off fee. Once you have your reservation confirmation, you can create a rental listing on Redweek or your preferred rental site. Good luck.
Thanks again ether in
Thanks for all the great info.

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm making the assumptions you don't already own a Marriott or have an II account as well as that you do not get the 2019 week as part of the deal. If you get the 2019 week you need to call and see if you can get things moving. For 2020 and beyond decide what week you want/need and find out the day that inventory is released. There's a good (not perfect) calculator on the MVC website that will help you but for ASC half the inventory is released 13 months out from the Thursday of that week and the other half 12 months out from the Thursday. Availability may already be gone for weeks that are now open to reserve. As noted you can do a lockout (with fee) and reserve different weeks if you wanted. You could even do them back to back, change rooms and stay longer which would be my suggestion. Even if you can't stay a full 2 weeks go in Thursday or Friday and come back on Mon or Tues 10-11 days later.

As for the studio if you don't need it, I'd rent it unless you have an II account anyway or plan to join II otherwise. But you can also investigate other exchange companies that might not require a yearly fee and be cheaper but they won't have the inventory of II. If you do have or join II, I'd deposit it and try to exchange the studio to a 1 BR then you could rent out the owned 1 BR instead. There are lots of variables and questions you might have and there's no way we could anticipate everything that you need at this point. Please ask additional questions, we'll help if we can.
This will be the first Marriott we own but I currently have a II account but not really sure how to incorporate things just yet. Appreciate all the informative advice, I will be coming back for more advice once i receive the owner info from Marriott.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be the first Marriott we own but I currently have a II account but not really sure how to incorporate things just yet. Appreciate all the informative advice, I will be coming back for more advice once i receive the owner info from Marriott.
If you already have an II account that's not a restricted corporate account, then I'd add the Marriott, lock it off and deposit requesting what works for you in the future as an ongoing search, preferably a year or more out. You'll have to add a fee or extend you II account to add it but if you can find a 2 for 1 code to do so, you can do so using the code.

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know I've spoken to lots of renters on the beach, and Aruba studios do rent. Assuming your first year of use is 2020, as soon as you can make a reservation reserve a summer week. If you don't want to go over the summer, then reserve the studio for rental for a summer week and the other half for use when you'd prefer to go. Summer weeks are in higher demand and will rent for more money. Great for family trips when an extra unit is needed, and it is definitely a summer family beach destination.
My favorite place to relax and veg- there are lots of owners here so if you need advice before your first trip, just ask. Congrats on a great purchase!
Thanks will do

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks will do
So all the details are complete now I need some advice where to list a rental or should I deposit into II ? Should I keep the one bedroom and list the studio or vice versa?

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So everything is complete we are owners of a two BR lock off oceanview GOLD season weeks 18-50 annual. So not sure exactly what to do, we love ARUBA and would be more then Happy visiting twice a year. We also enjoy traveling internationally, we have a domestic timeshare in Atlantic City we always deposit. So do I deposit, do I rent, do I keep???? Is it hard to rent? I am a member of RedWeek which lists timeshares for rental and takes care of all the incidentials. Not even sure how I would rent or list on my own. My husband and I talked about using the studio and renting the one bedroom this would take care of the maintence fees. It looks like the summer months rent. I also thought of depositing through II but all I know is what is available to me throught my domestic deposit. So for those who are seasoned with II will the Marriott deposit open up other areas to travel? Better options? we favor the caribbean and would love other options. Asking for all advice no matter how great or little. Thanks in advance.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
If reserving and renting a summer month rental at the Surf Club, I would keep it as a 2 bedroom. We go there every July (with our entire family) and it seems like just about everyone there has kids with them. I'm not sure how easy/ in demand a one-bedroom would be during that time of year. If you were to reserve and rent it in the fall, a one-bedroom would probably be in more demand.

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If reserving and renting a summer month rental at the Surf Club, I would keep it as a 2 bedroom. We go there every July (with our entire family) and it seems like just about everyone there has kids with them. I'm not sure how easy/ in demand a one-bedroom would be during that time of year. If you were to reserve and rent it in the fall, a one-bedroom would probably be in more demand.
Thank You

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got back and I was surprised at how many people got an extra studio since they had larger parties. Don’t know if they were trades or rentals, but there were several people there with 2 and 3 units+ with at least one being a studio,

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got back and I was surprised at how many people got an extra studio since they had larger parties. Don’t know if they were trades or rentals, but there were several people there with 2 and 3 units+ with at least one being a studio,
Thanks for the update

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the update
To maximize your rental potential I’d rec reserving a beginning f July to mid-August week or Thanksgiving week, with a Sat or Sun arrival

twingirls215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To maximize your rental potential I’d rec reserving a beginning f July to mid-August week or Thanksgiving week, with a Sat or Sun arrival
Thank you