• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Park City HOTEL now Sheraton Park City

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
we are checking into this hotel on 7.20 pending a week at the Summit Watch. I just received an email saying it was a Sheraton as of 7.10 but nothing has changed.

upload_2019-7-8_14-47-36.png

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
This is an interesting one. I wouldn't be surprised more Marriott resorts will rename to SPG brands, I miss everything I had with SPG in last 15 years. I think Courtyard Kauai was renaming to Sheraton recently also. Hope Marriott now sees the value of original SPG's and putting more resources back to SPG brands.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This is an interesting one. I wouldn't be surprised more Marriott resorts will rename to SPG brands, I miss everything I had with SPG in last 15 years. I think Courtyard Kauai was renaming to Sheraton recently also. Hope Marriott now sees the value of original SPG's and putting more resources back to SPG brands.

Has anyone read or heard anything about how Marriott International is segmenting/positioning their multiplicity of brands? Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, Le Meridian, Renaissance, Autograph, and several others are all positioned as "Premium" brands, in the second tier below their top-tier "Luxury" brands (Ritz, St. Regis, W, JW Marriott, etc). So, if Marriott and Sheraton are both "Premium" brands, what makes them decide to change from one Premium brand to another? The switch you mention on Kauai from Courtyard to Sheraton would imply an upgrade and a move up from the "Select" tier to "Premium", but the move from Marriott to Sheraton would seem to be a lateral move. I'm sure there is a reason because of some sub-segmentation within the Premium tier, but any idea how their target market for the Sheraton brand differs from the Marriott brand?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Has anyone read or heard anything about how Marriott International is segmenting/positioning their multiplicity of brands? Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, Le Meridian, Renaissance, Autograph, and several others are all positioned as "Premium" brands, in the second tier below their top-tier "Luxury" brands (Ritz, St. Regis, W, JW Marriott, etc). So, if Marriott and Sheraton are both "Premium" brands, what makes them decide to change from one Premium brand to another? The switch you mention on Kauai from Courtyard to Sheraton would imply an upgrade and a move up from the "Select" tier to "Premium", but the move from Marriott to Sheraton would seem to be a lateral move. I'm sure there is a reason because of some sub-segmentation within the Premium tier, but any idea how their target market for the Sheraton brand differs from the Marriott brand?

Perhaps Marriott does these moves to lure old SPG customers back? I know a lot SPG people not happy about the new program and being bonvoyed.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This fairly recent Brand Strategy presentation gives some insight into MI’s plans for the brands
https://marriott.gcs-web.com/static-files/580e2d20-68e2-4150-b78c-cbde8bd62f87

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
IMO, Marriott currently carries far too many brands after the merger. I think they will need to consolidate them down to remain successful and prevent confusion by the consumer.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
IMO, Marriott currently carries far too many brands after the merger. I think they will need to consolidate them down to remain successful and prevent confusion by the consumer.
100% agree

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge

I was confused before the merger....

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
I was excited to see the Sheraton Park City listed as a "New" hotel opening in June as I was having trouble getting all the nights I needed in late December. I called Marriott rewards and they were clueless as to what was happening with the Sheraton but I soon realized the address and room count was identical to the Marriott so it was only a rebrand. My Park City Marriott reservation was converted to the Sheraton but I need to add 1 night and the Sheraton oddly shows no availability whatsoever after December 7.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We stayed there on a Marriott reward. Staff and lounge were nice. Good shuttle to ski. Rooms were meh basic hotel rooms. Thin walls so could hear noise from other rooms with ski boots. Will stay at a timeshare with a kitchen next time for more space and less noise.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
We stayed there on a Marriott reward. Staff and lounge were nice. Good shuttle to ski. Rooms were meh basic hotel rooms. Thin walls so could hear noise from other rooms with ski boots. Will stay at a timeshare with a kitchen next time for more space and less noise.

Let me know when one opens up for the last week of December that I can trade into without a platinum week ;).

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
In the Park City case, the fairly recent new owner also owns a Sheraton in SLC, so that may have been a factor.
https://www.parkrecord.com/news/business/buyer-of-park-city-marriott-envisions-lengthy-stay/

A change in a hotel brand of a specific hotel is commonly related to a sale of the property or a redesign. In the case of a property sale, it may just be that the new owner has a preference for the brand, and works to make that change. In the case of a redesign, this is when a brand decides to change the whole look of their brand (think Courtyard's recent redesign). The brand gives each location a certain amount of time to comply with the design change, and they can be EXTREMELY expensive for the owner to implement, could be in the millions.

There are plenty of other reasons, as well. Another one that is not as common is when a hotel no longer meets the quality requirements of the current brand, and switches to another brand that it will meet, so the owner doesn't have to lay out a ton of cash to upgrade and get back in line with quality. This is somewhat related to the redesign requirements, but not 1:1.