• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Maui old section or villas?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We have made an offer on a 2/3 EOYO OV and it has been accepted, contracts signed and delivered, so now waiting on ROFR.
Would you be willing to let me know the asking price and agreed upon price? I'm looking for the same thing, even year.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Would you be willing to let me know the asking price and agreed upon price? I'm looking for the same thing, even year.
Sure. There was no asking price, we had given a broker a price that we would be comfortable with. $7500 seller pays all closing costs. She found a seller, sent us the purchase contract, and done. DocuSign is wonderful!

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Sure. There was no asking price, we had given a broker a price that we would be comfortable with. $7500 seller pays all closing costs. She found a seller, sent us the purchase contract, and done. DocuSign is wonderful!

It will be interesting to see if that passes. With seller paying closing, it would seem that's a net to seller of only $6500 to $7000, depending on who does the closing. ROFR is unpredictable but that may be at a high risk of MVC taking it. If it passes it will be a GREAT deal for an EOY 2BR at MOC. Good luck!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
It will be interesting to see if that passes. With seller paying closing, it would seem that's a net to seller of only $6500 to $7000, depending on who does the closing. ROFR is unpredictable but that may be at a high risk of MVC taking it. If it passes it will be a GREAT deal for an EOY 2BR at MOC. Good luck!
Thanks for the well wishes. Also, it’s important to keep in mind that first use is 2021, so I will be paying the MF’s due January 2020 and also January 2021 before our first stay at MOC...

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks for the well wishes. Also, it’s important to keep in mind that first use is 2021, so I will be paying the MF’s due January 2020 and also January 2021 before our first stay at MOC...

That's the customary way it's done and was the same when we bought our EOYO for $8K in late 2017/early 2018. We paid 2018 and 2019 MF for 2019 usage. Only difference was we paid closing.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's the customary way it's done and was the same when we bought our EOYO for $8K in late 2017/early 2018. We paid 2018 and 2019 MF for 2019 usage. Only difference was we paid closing.
JimnNC, Do I remember correctly that you have EOYO MOC and Waiohai?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
JimnNC, Do I remember correctly that you have EOYO MOC and Waiohai?

Yes. EOYO at both places. 2BR IV at Waiohai and 2BR OV at MOC

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Are you sure that Marriott takes closing costs on his offer into their calculations? I don't think that they do because when I've got my ROFR from Marriott it always says the contract price and doesn't add the closing costs that I'm paying into that contract price on the ROFR letter. Take for instance my 2BR MOC annual OV that I'm in contract right now on. I offered 15k and the closing costs were 1k. When I got the ROFR letter from Marriott it said that they waived ROFR and the price on the ROFR letter was 15k, not 16k.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Are you sure that Marriott takes closing costs on his offer into their calculations? I don't think that they do because when I've got my ROFR from Marriott it always says the contract price and doesn't add the closing costs that I'm paying into that contract price on the ROFR letter. Take for instance my 2BR MOC annual OV that I'm in contract right now on. I offered 15k and the closing costs were 1k. When I got the ROFR letter from Marriott it said that they waived ROFR and the price on the ROFR letter was 15k, not 16k.

That's correct because Marriott does their own closings, and if the contract is written that BUYER pays closing, then they are absorbing closing anyway. The question on dagger1's deal is I'm not sure how they look at it if the SELLER is paying closing. If the let the deal go through and dagger1 gets the week, if closing is $1k, the seller would only net $6500 on a $7500 contract price. But if MVC exercises ROFR at $7500, do they give the seller $7500 or deduct something for their internal cost of closing? If they just give seller $7500, the seller is probably hoping they exercise ROFR.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Slightly off-topic, but I’ve been communicating with several brokers (3 of them so far) looking for an EOY-E MOC 2-BR, OV or OF. I am getting very different information, and they are telling me that their Redweek postings aren’t actually available. I am not finding everything they tell me to be believable or credible. For instance, Redweek shows a unit with a $12.5k asking price. The broker, after asking me to make an offer, told me it’s “no longer available.” But it’s still advertised. And he asked for an offer. I emailed with a different broker I’ve used before and asked if he had anything available and he said no, yet he has one being advertised on Redweek.

It’s frustrating. It appears they are holding units and turning away buyers until someone offers full price.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's correct because Marriott does their own closings, and if the contract is written that BUYER pays closing, then they are absorbing closing anyway. The question on dagger1's deal is I'm not sure how they look at it if the SELLER is paying closing. If the let the deal go through and dagger1 gets the week, if closing is $1k, the seller would only net $6500 on a $7500 contract price. But if MVC exercises ROFR at $7500, do they give the seller $7500 or deduct something for their internal cost of closing? If they just give seller $7500, the seller is probably hoping they exercise ROFR.
Ya, that would be great information to know. That would be a great deal for dagger1, I hope that he gets it.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Slightly off-topic, but I’ve been communicating with several brokers (3 of them so far) looking for an EOY-E MOC 2-BR, OV or OF. I am getting very different information, and they are telling me that their Redweek postings aren’t actually available. I am not finding everything they tell me to be believable or credible. For instance, Redweek shows a unit with a $12.5k asking price. The broker, after asking me to make an offer, told me it’s “no longer available.” But it’s still advertised. And he asked for an offer. I emailed with a different broker I’ve used before and asked if he had anything available and he said no, yet he has one being advertised on Redweek.

It’s frustrating. It appears they are holding units and turning away buyers until someone offers full price.

I'm not sure they are holding back units. It seems some brokers don't do a great job updating their Redweek listings. In at least one other case, there is a broker that seems to frequently list inventory he doesn't actually have, even on his own web site. I'm not sure why - sloppy administration or fishing for prospects. I experienced the same frustration when looking for our MOC week. When I found one, I wasn't really concerned about squeezing out the best price, I was more concerned about offering enough so it would pass ROFR. Didn't want to go back to square one.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

They are likely using it as advertising since Redweeks charges for listings, they're likely just keeping them up to get contacts and since units come and go.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
They are likely using it as advertising since Redweeks charges for listings, they're likely just keeping them up to get contacts and since units come and go.
This afternoon I gave Samuel Rodriguez (Selling Timeshares, Inc.) prices I'd like to try and find either a 2-BR EOY OV ($8k) or 2-BR EOY OF ($10k) for, and asked that if he comes along anything at or near those prices to let me know. His response, "Those prices won't happen. Sorry." I thought that was a rather rude response. Apparently he's not an agent particularly interested in working with clients.

Add: To be fair, when I called him out on it, he apologized for his response and agreed it did come off sounding rude and that he didn't intend it that way.

Last edited:

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This afternoon I gave Samuel Rodriguez (Selling Timeshares, Inc.) prices I'd like to try and find either a 2-BR EOY OV ($8k) or 2-BR EOY OF ($10k) for, and asked that if he comes along anything at or near those prices to let me know. His response, "Those prices won't happen. Sorry." I thought that was a rather rude response. Apparently he's not an agent particularly interested in working with clients.

Add: To be fair, when I called him out on it, he apologized for his response and agreed it did come off sounding rude and that he didn't intend it that way.
That's interesting that he said "those prices won't happen". I'm in contract for a 2BR EOY OV for 8k and it's already passed ROFR. Those prices do happen but sometimes they take a while to find. That's unfortunate that people try to discourage. I'll keep my eye out for you too.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's interesting that he said "those prices won't happen". I'm in contract for a 2BR EOY OV for 8k and it's already passed ROFR. Those prices do happen but sometimes they take a while to find. That's unfortunate that people try to discourage. I'll keep my eye out for you too.
Of course most of these brokers don't want to suggest lower prices are available. Some of the good ones like Syed you can give them a number and they will try to find you a deal. I do think a OF EOY at $10k is a low number but the OVs can definitely be had for round $8k.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Of course most of these brokers don't want to suggest lower prices are available. Some of the good ones like Syed you can give them a number and they will try to find you a deal. I do think a OF EOY at $10k is a low number but the OVs can definitely be had for round $8k.
If I’m a broker I’m not judging, I’m looking for clients. If I think it’s a low number I just tell the client, great, I’ll see what I can find and get back to you. Maybe throw in how much I appreciate their confidence in me. <g> Then I communicate anything that comes along, and if it’s over the $10k, you invite my “new” buying-client to make an offer. Just because I’m looking for $10k doesn’t mean I won’t spend $12 or $13. Over 20 years of use, that $2-3k is meaningless. I’ll spend that on Mai Tais. <g>

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I’m a broker I’m not judging, I’m looking for clients. If I think it’s a low number I just tell the client, great, I’ll see what I can find and get back to you. Maybe throw in how much I appreciate their confidence in me. <g> Then I communicate anything that comes along, and if it’s over the $10k, you invite my “new” buying-client to make an offer. Just because I’m looking for $10k doesn’t mean I won’t spend $12 or $13. Over 20 years of use, that $2-3k is meaningless. I’ll spend that on Mai Tais. <g>
If I'm them I don't want to spin my wheels or try to bait and switch them later either thus I think there's a balance. If a broker knows the market and the price target is truly too low, I'd rather they say so. OTOH they might say that just to try to get me to buy something they have already or to make a larger commission so you have to look at both sides. In your specific situation I think the numbers were not out of line so the broker likely did you a favor pushing you to a different broker/company.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think it means two things:

1) He doesn't have any listings or leads for this property. If he did he would take it to the seller to get it sold and make a commission.
2) He doesn't want to waste his time on this deal. It's good you are not wasting each other's time and you are free to move onto another broker who is willing to expend the effort. Sometimes "no" is a blessing.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. EOYO at both places. 2BR IV at Waiohai and 2BR OV at MOC
Maybe one of these Odd years we will tie up. We will be in Maui using our 2019 HKB Sept/Oct (tied in with a 5 night Westin Ka’anapali $699 package) and then at Waiohai for our first stay the beginning of November. Then 2021.....

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Maybe one of these Odd years we will tie up. We will be in Maui using our 2019 HKB Sept/Oct (tied in with a 5 night Westin Ka’anapali $699 package) and then at Waiohai for our first stay the beginning of November. Then 2021.....

Maybe so. We've already used our 2019 MOC back in March and our first use year for Waiohai is 2021. Most likely we'll go in whale season again in 2021, but since we went in whale season this year and are using DC Points to go back to Maui in 2020 during whale season, who knows, maybe we'll mix it up in 2021.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Question: Can you buy an annual and then sell just the odd or the even and keep the other?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Question: Can you buy an annual and then sell just the odd or the even and keep the other?
No. Just like an odd and an even can’t be combined into one deed.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted, not but if you own bothyou can use them as if they're one and if you enroll them they only count as one total (1/2 each). Other than the 2 closings and 2 transactions, there's no issues I can think of having two EOY vs one EY. EOY options are popular at places that are difficult/expensive to travel to and/or have high fees like HI. I own 2 islands as such, may or may not buy Maui at some point EOY even year.