• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Lifetime Platinum! finally!

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer:What a way to start the New Year! FINALLY, I am Lifetime Marriott Platinum! I had wayyyy over 1,000 nights, but was short on points. Today, January 1st. I transferred 50,000 miles from United Airlines to my Marriott account and now will have over the 2,000, 000 points needed. I transferred 35,000 more then I actually needed. What a way to start the New Year!
smile.gif
It seemed to take forever to get here, now finally I am here :cheer:Happy New Year

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer:What a way to start the New Year! FINALLY, I am Lifetime Marriott Platinum! I had wayyyy over 1,000 nights, but was short on points. Today, January 1st. I transferred 50,000 miles from United Airlines to my Marriott account and now will have over the 2,000, 000 points needed. I transferred 35,000 more then I actually needed. What a way to start the New Year!
smile.gif
It seemed to take forever to get here, now finally I am here :cheer:Happy New Year

Do those transfers count?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do those transfers count?
I know that transfers between MR accounts count. If you transfer points to another MR member, your lifetime points go down and their go up. Not sure how points transferred from airlines work though.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that transfers between MR accounts count. If you transfer points to another MR member, your lifetime points go down and their go up. Not sure how points transferred from airlines work though.
Since transfers from SPG to Marriott don't count, I would be surprised if transfers from airline miles count.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Since transfers from SPG to Marriott don't count, I would be surprised if transfers from airline miles count.
Yes, all transfers count except SPG transfers. I think that exception is because they are still working on how to combine the two programs.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can transfer 50,000 miles per year from United Airlines to Marriott and it does count towards lifetime. And no , points moved from SPG to Marriott do not count. It does pay to check out everything before moving from one program to another to be sure of what you are due. I am just so glad to finally reach Lifetime Platinum. :). Nights were easy because we do a lot of hotel stays but the points were another thing.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Yes, I can transfer 50,000 miles per year from United Airlines to Marriott and it does count towards lifetime. And no , points moved from SPG to Marriott do not count. It does pay to check out everything before moving from one program to another to be sure of what you are due. I am just so glad to finally reach Lifetime Platinum. :). Nights were easy because we do a lot of hotel stays but the points were another thing.
Happy for you!
We are the opposite.
Lots of points and but nights are at 699. Husband retiring this year so plan to hit 750 this year for lifetime Plat.

Reactions: mav

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Congratulations! I'm sure it's a great feeling.

To confirm other statements: my DW transferred points, I've purchased points from Marriott, transferred UA miles for points, transferred Chase UR for points, earned points with Marriott Visa, and transferred SPG points. With the exception of SPG, all points counted toward lifetime status.

I've set a goal of getting lifetime platinum this year. I'll hit 750 nights in Apr and have a plan for getting the additional points I need (additional transfers from DW, UR, Marriott Visa, UA miles, and purchasing points). If all goes as planned, I'll celebrate LP this year.

I want to achieve LP before the merger of programs. It may be overkill depending on the new requirements; however, I'd rather do it and not have needed to than not do it and having LP requirements change for the worse.

Congrats again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
First congratulations....I seem to have the opposite challenge than many. I have 2.4M points and only 583 nights credit. I traded my Monarch for points (130k) 4 times when they had a 480k travel package for 4 round trip tickets anywhere but not sure how I got to the 2.4 number. It will take me 4 or 5 years to get to 750. They keep gifting me platinum since 2013 after achieving it in 2012. I got to 53 nights in 2017. I was once gifted platimnum with only 50 nights but my gut tells me with the purchase of Starwood, my gifting streak has ended.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
In the same boat as you. Have over 1200 nights but under 500k points.

Would anyone like to trade nights for points ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your achievement. Platinum Level is a honor for a very loyal :thumbup:Marriott traveler.:thumbup:

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the well wishes!:) To frank 808
Have you got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card? I think right now it's a 50,000 point sign up bonus, and then u get 3 points on a dollar for anything to do with travel. All my maintenance fees come under that, airport parking, exchange fees, airlines tickets, it all adds up FAST! Your spouse can also get the credit card and then call Chase when the bonus hits and the spouse can at that point ok Chase to move the points to your ultimate rewards as long as you live in the same house. After that you can move your ultimate rewards to Marriott.
You cam also buy 50,000 points per year thru Marriott, but the cost is $625 to do that. I have 1,112 nights but the points were a pain because we are leisure travelers , own no Marriott timeshares , and before we retired our jobs did not involve travel. The stays were on our dime except for the point redemptions. Hope this helps

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Congratulations! I've been a Marriott Lifetime Platinum member for about three years now. The biggest perk, of course, is the automatic room upgrade if it's available when you check in. I've had to adjust my thinking since turning Platinum regarding reservations. In the past, I would often pay for the upgraded room/view when making my reservation. Now--depending on the location and time of year--I often reserve just a basic room hoping there's a decent chance to get the upgrade. And if the issue is in doubt, I call the exclusive Platinum member 800 number and ask the reservations agent what my odds are of getting an upgrade. A lot of the time, they will simply do the upgrade for me over the phone!

One more key benefit: with the acquisition of the Starwood properties last year, you're now also Lifetime Platinum with Starwood. You will love it!

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the well wishes and info. WOW! I did not know that lifetime SPG would be part of it. I thought lifetime had to be earned in what ever other program you did not have it in. I did know, however, that I would have Platinum in SPG , just not lifetime. R u sure? Will be doubly excited if so. I have heard fantastic things about SPG, and have the Amex SPG credit card . Just got it about 1 month ago, and already completed the $30000 spend and got the sign up bonus. :)
BTW, I have redeemed Marriott points for fantastic stays including 10 nights at each of Marriott on the Champs Elysses, and Boscolo Rome. Also 5 nights at the Renassance Lucerne , and assorted others. LOVE Marriott.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the well wishes and info. WOW! I did not know that lifetime SPG would be part of it. I thought lifetime had to be earned in what ever other program you did not have it in. I did know, however, that I would have Platinum in SPG , just not lifetime. R u sure? Will be doubly excited if so. I have heard fantastic things about SPG, and have the Amex SPG credit card . Just got it about 1 month ago, and already completed the $30000 spend and got the sign up bonus. :)
BTW, I have redeemed Marriott points for fantastic stays including 10 nights at each of Marriott on the Champs Elysses, and Boscolo Rome. Also 5 nights at the Renassance Lucerne , and assorted others. LOVE Marriott.
After the merger of Marriott and Starwood (Hotel), they offer reciprocal elite status. You have to go online to link your 2 rewards accounts.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I can assure you that you're now a Lifetime Platinum member of Starwood as well. I've been the happy recipient of it ever since the merger was completed. You may also be aware that you can convert points across both platforms at a rate of 3 Marriott points to 1 SPG point as many times as you wish. Another great benefit! (though you don't need to be a Platinum member to do so).

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand reciprocal elite status, as I am MR Platinum and having linked my accounts I am now also SPG Platinum.
I will be MR Lifetime Platinum, as soon as the 2017 rollover nights are applied.
I didn’t realise though that this will automatically give me SPG Lifetime Platinum?
If so, this will be most welcome.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You aren't technically Lifetime Platinum in SPG. It is simply because of the matching status when you link your accounts that you also get Platinum in SPG based on your MR lifetime platinum status. Since it is lifetime in MR, then the linked SPG account will always have Platinum status.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
You aren't technically Lifetime Platinum in SPG. It is simply because of the matching status when you link your accounts that you also get Platinum in SPG based on your MR lifetime platinum status. Since it is lifetime in MR, then the linked SPG account will always have Platinum status.
That makes far more sense, in a similar way to MVC Chairman’s Club status not giving you genuine Lifetime Platinum status as it is dependent on continuing qualification.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So what does this mean? Do we know if we'll be treated as a platinum member at SPG hotels?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I've been a Marriott Lifetime Platinum member for about three years now. The biggest perk, of course, is the automatic room upgrade if it's available when you check in. I've had to adjust my thinking since turning Platinum regarding reservations. In the past, I would often pay for the upgraded room/view when making my reservation. Now--depending on the location and time of year--I often reserve just a basic room hoping there's a decent chance to get the upgrade. And if the issue is in doubt, I call the exclusive Platinum member 800 number and ask the reservations agent what my odds are of getting an upgrade. A lot of the time, they will simply do the upgrade for me over the phone!

One more key benefit: with the acquisition of the Starwood properties last year, you're now also Lifetime Platinum with Starwood. You will love it!
Now you make me want to call up the Platinum reservation line! Is this the 800 Platinum number for SPG? I don't see a Platinum phone number for Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So what does this mean? Do we know if we'll be treated as a platinum member at SPG hotels?
Yes, you will be treated as a Platinum member at SPG hotels as long as you have linked your accounts. Doesn't matter if you are lifetime platinum or just regular platinum. Lifetime really doesn't get you anything more other than you don't have to re-qualify on nights every year.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now you make me want to call up the Platinum reservation line! Is this the 800 Platinum number for SPG? I don't see a Platinum phone number for Marriott.
The Platinum Reservations line is 1.800.399.4229. They'll ask you for your MR number and then offer first-class service.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Platinum Reservations line is 1.800.399.4229. They'll ask you for your MR number and then offer first-class service.
Thank you! I called a regular number a couple of days to make a reservation for Singapore Marriott and it was not a pleasant experience. I will try this next week as I have another reservation to make for Hong Kong and when the reservation window opens up.