• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott BUYBACKS AND TAKEBACKS [2012 / Ongoing]

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks, m61376

No doubt I cannot find the answers, because there is no answer.

Was ROFR in DC points contract? I seen one DC points sale at nominal price failed ROFR listed in an external site through tug. if so, it does not make any sense to buy resale points because of reasonable price paid to pass ROFR, enrollment fees and no guarantee of usage at all. Am I correct here?

Is buying resale week good and only pratical option if one wanna go resale route? A week at home resort you can regularly use and trade, and better if it has good exchange for points if Marriott re-open that gate of enrollment for DC points.

thanks,

Ben

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
thanks, m61376

No doubt I cannot find the answers, because there is no answer.

Was ROFR in DC points contract? I seen one DC points sale at nominal price failed ROFR listed in an external site through tug. if so, it does not make any sense to buy resale points because of reasonable price paid to pass ROFR, enrollment fees and no guarantee of usage at all. Am I correct here?

Is buying resale week good and only pratical option if one wanna go resale route? A week at home resort you can regularly use and trade, and better if it has good exchange for points if Marriott re-open that gate of enrollment for DC points.

thanks,

Ben

As far as ROFR- that's always a movable target- keep in mind that even if it is nabbed at "X" dollars, next week it may pass at <"X" dollars; there has never been a set minimum, so never set your price based on fear of ROFR (whether for points or a weeks purchase).

Personally, if there is a place you'd like to visit at least half the time, I think a resale week is a better option. Esp. if you want to travel during a peak time period, MF's are generally less than for the necessary points package, and generally speaking the purchase price will be substantially less.

LMK

Reaction score
Change of heart...

THANK YOU for all the positive and reinforcing comments and suggestions. Truthfully, I guess I haven't really given the whole timeshare concept a chance to work.

Given that I have already invested $35K+, it may make sense to try and see if we can maximize our investment. I will use the collective TUG knowledge base to see if I can get helpful pointers and advice.

I will try to get Xmas week in 2013 @ GV and will convert to DC points in 2014. I know last year we used our combined DC points for 5 days at Grande Ocean in HH (with grandparents :)) which turned out to be a great vacation.

Thanks for putting up with my indecisiveness :confused:

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott just exerised its ROFR on the sale of a Ko'Olina 2 BR mountainview penthouse for 7K.

gottspd

Reaction score
To close the loop, I have now "officially" sold my Cypress Harbor week back to Marriott. All of the paperwork was signed (though they didn't handle that well at all in my opinion, but that's not the point now) and I have a check. Yeah. Now I only own two Marriott weeks, which makes sense for me at this point in my life.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made an Ebay purchase a couple weeks back - EOY Willow Ridge Lodge Plat week.

Closing company sent info to Marriott on 11/29 but they haven't heard back yet. Will update once ROFR decision is made.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made an Ebay purchase a couple weeks back - EOY Willow Ridge Lodge Plat week.

Closing company sent info to Marriott on 11/29 but they haven't heard back yet. Will update once ROFR decision is made.

Would you mind sharing what the purchase price was? I am looking for a week at this resort.

Vincent.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
All-in, a little under $1100. But most of that was to cover 2013 MFs and closing costs. Even year, first use 2014.

Would you mind sharing what the purchase price was? I am looking for a week at this resort.

Vincent.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
All-in, a little under $1100. But most of that was to cover 2013 MFs and closing costs. Even year, first use 2014.

Great Price, just a note since your usage start 2014. Your MF should start 2014. Unless you are getting halft of the week of 2013.

I saw that Ebay auction.

Vincent.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised I won it to be honest; was sure someone would come in and snipe it at the last second, but never happened.

Great Price, just a note since your usage start 2014. Your MF should start 2014. Unless you are getting halft of the week of 2013.

I saw that Ebay auction.

Vincent.

madouglas3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Marriott today and they offered me $2100 - $500 for my Willow Ridge 2 bedroom platinum week. I was really surprised I received an offer from Marriott. Mary Ann

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Marriott today and they offered me $2100 - $500 for my Willow Ridge 2 bedroom platinum week. I was really surprised I received an offer from Marriott. Mary Ann

They must have a buyer that just inquired or they are seriously disorganized because they only go for $100-$200 on ebay. One went with no bids for $599 just one week ago. I would sell it to them and then sit back and grab the next ebay listing if it's worth it to you to pocket the $1k.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my oppinon, Willowridge is the most undervalued Marriott in the system. At least on TUG, it is the most undervalued. A platinum Willowridge week is probably the best inland Marriott (not including ski weeks) to own.

Nice to know there is a relatively paineless out for people who do not want their week anymore - assuming you didn't buy from Marriott.

If memory serves me right, I paid $1,100, including closing for my week three or so years ago. I bought through a resale company.

Thanks for posting this.

-Jim

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott wanting to buy isn't necessarily a reflection of increased value although it could lead to that. Marriott's resale department does not list any inventory for Willow Ridge so what likely happened is a potential customer inquired and they immediately went shopping for a unit to sell. They could have had platinum weeks for next to nothing just recently but it looks like they don't keep Willow Ridge on hand which means they rarely have a buyer.

In my oppinon, Willowridge is the most undervalued Marriott in the system. At least on TUG, it is the most undervalued. A platinum Willowridge week is probably the best inland Marriott (not including ski weeks) to own.

Nice to know there is a relatively paineless out for people who do not want their week anymore - assuming you didn't buy from Marriott.

If memory serves me right, I paid $1,100, including closing for my week three or so years ago. I bought through a resale company.

Thanks for posting this.

-Jim

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They must have a buyer that just inquired or they are seriously disorganized because they only go for $100-$200 on ebay. One went with no bids for $599 just one week ago. I would sell it to them and then sit back and grab the next ebay listing if it's worth it to you to pocket the $1k.

The $599 week would have been $1100 with closing and also required the $980 2013 MF's but it would be too late to get a a good week in a lock off at Willow Ridge. A week or so before a biennial went for $102 but with closing it came to around $600 plus $400 in MF's but since it was EEY the buyer wouldn't be stuck with a bad week.

I don't see them going for $100-$200 on ebay and Marriott wouldn't/couldn't buy from ebay if their department wasn't doing the closing. In fact with the buy backs Marriott adds at least a month onto the closing time for Marriotts not bought directly from Marriott because they do a title search.

From what I have seen the net prices offered to owners are only a couple of hundred higher than ebay prices.

I definitively think that if you want to get out of your Marriott, now is the time to check for offers in the buy back program.

I think Willow Ridge is a great trader too. I just wish it locked off into two 1 bedrooms instead of a studio and a 1 bedroom.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $599 week would have been $1100 with closing and also required the $980 2013 MF's but it would be too late to get a a good week in a lock off at Willow Ridge. A week or so before a biennial went for $102 but with closing it came to around $600 plus $400 in MF's but since it was EEY the buyer wouldn't be stuck with a bad week.

I don't see them going for $100-$200 on ebay and Marriott wouldn't/couldn't buy from ebay if their department wasn't doing the closing. In fact with the buy backs Marriott adds at least a month onto the closing time for Marriotts not bought directly from Marriott because they do a title search.

From what I have seen the net prices offered to owners are only a couple of hundred higher than ebay prices.

I definitively think that if you want to get out of your Marriott, now is the time to check for offers in the buy back program.

I think Willow Ridge is a great trader too. I just wish it locked off into two 1 bedrooms instead of a studio and a 1 bedroom.

Marriott absolutely can buy units on ebay and they effectively do it all the time. Marriott holds the right of first refusal on all sales and they do not have to use any other closing company. They do not have to pay the closing or transfer fees in the listings. All the do is exercise their ROFR right and they pay the seller the same sales price. They are obligated for any unpaid Maintenance fees but they could easily handle that on the other end of the their resale.

Your "few hundred high than net comment" is way off because you are comparing Marriott's money to the seller to the money a buyer has to outlay for an ebay purchase. It's apples to oranges. Compare seller to seller on both and it's not even close. This Willow Ridge seller to Marriott will net $1,600 on the sale. Put it on ebay and a seller will not net anywhere close to that.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Your "few hundred high than net comment" is way off because you are comparing Marriott's money to the seller to the money a buyer has to outlay for an ebay purchase. It's apples to oranges. Compare seller to seller on both and it's not even close. This Willow Ridge seller to Marriott will net $1,600 on the sale. Put it on ebay and a seller will not net anywhere close to that.

It does compare when you are talking about selling a unit back to Marriott and then buying another on ebay.

I know 1-2years ago Marriott was not offering buy backs on Willow Ridge and was not exercising ROFR. Who knows if they are exercising ROFR on the cheaper platinum weeks now. I also don't think they want to deal with possible murky titles that have come through PCC's so they may be more hesitant to ROFR ebay sales.

vacationcrazy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Cypress Harbor Buyback

Does anyone know what Marriott is currently offering to buy back a Cypress Harbor Special Season?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does compare when you are talking about selling a unit back to Marriott and then buying another on ebay.

True, but you can't factor in Maintenance fees, or at least not the entire amount, because with maintenance fees you get usage. You can't consider maintenance fees part of up front money unless there is no usage to go with it although you could count part if it is short notice because the usage value has gone down.

So even factoring in closing you can still net a fair amount but it's obviously not sustainable. Either the ebay price will rise or Marriott will exercise ROFR. Either way there is now multiple evidence that things have improved recently.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have to ask Marriott (resale.operations@vacationclub.com). Asking does not obligate you to anything. Ask specifically if they are buying back the type of unit you own. If they make you an offer you have until a specified date to confirm by email that you would like to proceed. At that point Marriott does the title check and sends you a repurchasing agreement for you to sign and return. They then give you an estimate on when you should receive the closing paperwork. Once you receive the paperwork and get it notarized an back to Marriott, it only takes about a week.

And I agree for many weeks you will get much more by selling back to Marriott then you could on your own. But I don't think you could make reliable money selling back to Marriott and then repurchasing on ebay or elsewhere. Repurchasing will only cost you a couple of hundred dollars less out of pocket.

madouglas3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Willow Ridge is definitely a good trader and I got some great exchanges with my unit. I was able to get a mid June oceanfront Oceanwatch unit on an exchange. Since maintenance and exchange fees keep increasing I decided it was time to sale. Marriott may be purchasing units for destination club points. I don't think many owners would have converted. I would have received around 2700 points if I converted.

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recieved an offer from Marriott on 1/14/13 to buy back my Sport week at Marriott Cypress Harbour. I was pleased to accept the offer of 2200 less the 500 processing fee.

I purchased the week resale a few years ago on ebay for $1 so I think my return on this investment was awesome.

Now time to buckle down and pay for the kids to go to college. No more traveling for the next few years so it was a good time to sell my only timeshare.

I want to thank others for passing on this information, otherwise I would have never thought to request a buyback :whoopie: