TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott Bonvoy additional devaluation

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by cubigbird, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

1. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    Marriott Bonvoy has introduced “peak” and “off peak” points award redemption that will take effect Sept 14th. It seems to be nothing more than a further devaluation. They claim supply and demand but it isn’t clear exactly how peak is determined.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...h-off-peak-peak-point-redemption-rates-2.html

Another reason where converting timeshare points to hotel could be a bad deal. You need to weigh the cost now even further.

Will Marriott Bonvoy points become “hotel point pesos?”

DannyTS likes this.
  2. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    It’s typical of a company when they become too big.

3. Sicnarf

Sicnarf TUG Member

This isn't news. This was announced months ago. And just like timeshare, point value based on seasons make sense. Of course, the question is how seasons are determined.

Ken555 likes this.
  4. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    It actually is news because IIRC we did not know the date peak award pricing would start, did we?

5. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    In some cases it makes sense. I live a few hours from a beach location. Jam packed in Summer where the rooms go for about $400 plus per night on the weekend and dead in the winter down to Marriott residence minimal price of about $90 midweek winter. In the past they would have it as category 5 or 6 for a non oceanfront residence inn. It makes sense for Peak points memorial day through Labor day and maybe weekends in May and September. Regular points April through May and September and October and off peak November -March. I doubt they will be that sensible but I guess we will see. If I want to book for next summer I know I should do it now rather than waiting to see what the peak prices will be.

6. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    True. It makes sense. It just seems like it’s a major devaluation regardless. Can I just say I love your profile picture! Lol.

7. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    Not only do they devalue the points, but they upgrade the resorts I go to from Cat 4 to Cat 6. One good thing is the free night award, but I wish I knew it was good for a 35,000 point night before I booked a Cat 3 thinking I would be using Rewards Points. I was just looking for a quick overnight, not a vacation.

8. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    As mentioned previously, this was expected. It was announced at the very beginning of Bonvoy, and expected to be released sometime this year.

What I don’t like is that I can’t find a calendar of peak and off peak...is it supposed to be a surprise when reviewing particular hotels? This is the type of hidden info that irritates me to no end. If anyone knows of a page with this info, please post it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  9. Ken555

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    If you’re referring to the credit card reward, I believe it states it right on the award since it’s point based not category based. And when you book you have the choice of using the certificate or points.

10. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    Of course the rewards points are based on credit card spending. It's up to YOU to decide how you want to use them. Cat 3 or Cat 8. But, I would not have another need for 1 night in a hotel before the certificate expired, so I took the Cat 3 because it was just a few blocks from the hospital. I COULD have used it for a 35,000 point night, but for what I'm doing I was happy with the 1 bedroom suite at a Residence Inn. My big gripe is we're getting less reward point value for our credit card charging, while at the same time they upgraded my favorite resorts from Cat 4 to Cat 6. Not to mention they sold our favorite Key West Westin resort to MARGARITAVILLE! Damn you, Jimmy Buffett!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 10:44 PM
  11. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    Seems Bonvoy is taking a page out of some airlines’ playbook, such as Delta in that they aren’t publishing real time award charts. Rather airlines like Delta have taken them down and you’ll have to go through part of the booking process just to find out points needed. In the travel industry usually other companies follow suit so I’d expect other major chains to come out with this at some point. The race to the bottom continues on.....

12. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    I guess this was step 2 in their how do we screw em plan. Step 1, roll out bonvoy.

13. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

So... if I redeem a 5-night Cat 4 certificate for 100K points. I then want to book 5 nights at the Cat 4 hotel but the cat 4 hotel has varying points requirement depending on the day, does it mean that I have to top up the certificate by whatever the difference before it can be attached?

14. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    According to a post on frequentmiler, the package is good any time, i.e., EVEN at peak pricing. So, the answer would be no. This means, if true, that travel packages may still provide a good value if going during peak season and there is availability.

VacationForever likes this.
  15. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I hope that is true! :)

16. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
  17. Ken555

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    This is different than your earlier post.

And, obviously they are devaluing the system. Not sure why you would expect anything different.

18. Ken555

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Perhaps. Starwood had peak and off peak pricing, too, and the dates were published. I suspect Marriott will do the same once it starts, but I’m just irritated it’s not available now.

PamMo likes this.
  19. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    I wouldn’t mind peak and off peak if the peak remained what it is now and the off peak was reduced! One can hope. I tend to try and travel off peak anyway so for me it may not be too bad. It will hurt if the off peak is the current. If I remember correctly SPG did this a while back and they re adjusted their hotel categories. It seemed like overnight a hotel by the airport went up to 30K points a night. I try to not stay in hotels anymore (except I find myself writing this is one tonight ha). Since I don’t get lounge access with gold elite I picked the hotel with the free breakfast. I do hope they have the waffle maker :)