• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Marriott Beyond" - Vistana owners, please post in this thread ONLY

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
This sounds right. Setting up the sales force to cross-sell the existing Flex, DC and HPP programs would be a logical first step because the reps are probably complaining loudly that they have had nothing to offer to Vistana and Hyatt owners for almost a year who come to presentations. (E.g. we used the excuse "We are Vistana owners and thought you would have something to offer us on the merger to leverage our ownership." The rep was not happy because he didn't have anything to offer us so we were able to leave the presentation quickly i.e. we had a golden "Get out of jail" card. ;))

Cross selling points programs still doesn't allow booking other properties without owning the other portfolio, but if true, this would signal that they intend to keep the trusts of all 3 programs and then potentially create a layer via the DC exchange (or other mechanism) to book the three trusts. Given @JIMinNC's excellent diagram of the MVC points system, adding those trusts to offer reservations via the general exchange would involve the least disruption and lowest cost infrastructure.
It’s been saying that for the longest but every DC owner has fought me on it. They are under the assumption that the DC program is the future and will be the only program to survive. I offer the alternative which is an independent exchange where inventory is dumped in and owners exchange owned weeks or points to book what’s available.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Well we do know for a fact that SOMETHING is coming because the Marriott Vacations Worldwide CEO said as much in their last earnings call, and that has to be fact-based. We just don't know WHAT is coming. Next earnings call is the morning of August 1. Maybe they'll have another nugget for us to chew on and create another 34-page thread (at least the one on the Marriott Board is that long).
Yeah, it could be a simple exchange option to deposit in a cross program trust and book through II.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Yeah, it could be a simple exchange option to deposit in a cross program trust and book through II.

I’ll be surprised if II is involved. They’re mainly weeks-based, and points is the focus now. Plus I read somewhere that Marriott Vacations Worldwide has received some pushback from other II members to make sure MVC and VSE don’t have too much influence and to keep II focused on external trading.

Now they could do something interim with II like expanded MVC/VSE/Hyatt priority trades, but I think that would be just an interim solution. If they do announce something Monday that could be it, since they really haven’t had that much time to develop a whole new product form. But if that’s a false alarm and if it’s really 2020 as the CEO has implied, I think it will be something more than just II.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’ll be surprised if II is involved. They’re mainly weeks-based, and points is the focus now. Plus I read somewhere that Marriott Vacations Worldwide has received some pushback from other II members to make sure MVC and VSE don’t have too much influence and to keep II focused on external trading.
I just mean using II as the platform. It’s how MVC used MVC exchanging for years. It’s how Vistana uses their internal priority exchange. Why not use the platform they own?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I just mean using II as the platform. It’s how MVC used MVC exchanging for years. It’s how Vistana uses their internal priority exchange. Why not use the platform they own?
I added a second paragraph that addresses that, which you may not have seen since you were writing this. That could be an interim solution, but II exchanges are the past for MVW; points are the future. Any long term solution for them must be points based. They don’t want to make weeks more valuable. They want points to be valuable because that is their new business.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I added a second paragraph that addresses that, which you may not have seen since you were writing this. That could be an interim solution, but II exchanges are the past for MVW; points are the future. Any long term solution for them must be points based. They don’t want to make weeks more valuable. They want points to be valuable because that is their new business.
Makes sense. I’m thinking end of 2020 for any true combined program but I’m basing that on absolutely no facts lol

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Makes sense. I’m thinking end of 2020 for any true combined program but I’m basing that on absolutely no facts lol

There actually is a fact that supports the 2020 hypothesis. When the MVW CEO disclosed in the last earnings call that some sort of an integrated product form was in the works, he prefaced that disclosure with, "Looking ahead to 2020..." So, I interpreted that as meaning that any kind of true integrated product wouldn't be rolled out until 2020. But that's just reading between the lines.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
There actually is a fact that supports the 2020 hypothesis. When the MVW CEO disclosed in the last earnings call that some sort of an integrated product form was in the works, he prefaced that disclosure with, "Looking ahead to 2020..." So, I interpreted that as meaning that any kind of true integrated product wouldn't be rolled out until 2020. But that's just reading between the lines.
Oh look at that. I know things without knowing things haha

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We were just at the Hyatt Highlands Inn and were invited to a one-hour presentation. The sales person said it had something to do with Marriott. DH wasn't interested in going ($125 resort credit sounded good to me), so we didn't attend. But I was curious. Oh well. I wish they would offer incentives for just me to go.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Just a thought but I’m betting you know the answer. When does MVC’s fiscal year begin? I know sometimes a companies fiscal year and the actual calendar don’t match up.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Now they could do something interim with II like expanded MVC/VSE/Hyatt priority trades, but I think that would be just an interim solution. If they do announce something Monday that could be it, since they really haven’t had that much time to develop a whole new product form. But if that’s a false alarm and if it’s really 2020 as the CEO has implied, I think it will be something more than just II.

Now this makes sense to me. It fulfills the rumor of an impending announcement and sufficiently disappoints me at the same time.

Considering MVC utilizes the II weeks exchange program for internal weeks exchanges right now, adding all the ILG properties to the mix should be relatively easy. So it would be nothing for points reservations, which would be still be somewhere down the line (2020?) but allow ordinary week for week exchanges across brands without fees if your a “member”.

Of course owners could use points to weeks in the II weeks exchange program. So it would still be inclusive for points only owners under those rules.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Just a thought but I’m betting you know the answer. When does MVC’s fiscal year begin? I know sometimes a companies fiscal year and the actual calendar don’t match up.

Fiscal year is Jan 1 - Dec 31.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if the seasonality is a factor but if I were Marriott I would not announce it at the beginning of January since it is low season at many resorts and it would not help the sales force that much. From this prospective, announcing it in the summer would make more sense. As a matter of fact, I would have actually announced it already on July 1st. Of course it also depends on whether they have all the details figured out.

upload_2019-7-21_8-23-57.png

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don’t see anything about “Marriott Beyond” in this thread yet, so why are there so many posts in this thread? Are you all so bored that you need to post the same comments in multiple threads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It’s been saying that for the longest but every DC owner has fought me on it. They are under the assumption that the DC program is the future and will be the only program to survive. I offer the alternative which is an independent exchange where inventory is dumped in and owners exchange owned weeks or points to book what’s available.

What I think you're still not getting is that the DC Exchange Company IS an independent exchange company. It's a legally-established separate component among all the components related to Marriott Vacations Worldwide's points-based timeshare product, that appeared to many of us at the 2010 introduction to have been designed with the expectation (or at least the possibility) that non-Marriott-branded timeshare systems would integrate seamlessly in/through it. The "alternative" you're suggesting already exists under the Marriott umbrella!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t see anything about “Marriott Beyond” in this thread yet, so why are there so many posts in this thread? Are you all so bored that you need to post the same comments in multiple threads?

Yes. :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What I think you're still not getting is that the DC Exchange Company IS an independent exchange company. It's a legally-established separate component among all the components related to Marriott Vacations Worldwide's points-based timeshare product, that appeared to many of us at the 2010 introduction to have been designed with the expectation (or at least the possibility) that non-Marriott-branded timeshare systems would integrate seamlessly in/through it. The "alternative" you're suggesting already exists under the Marriott umbrella!

I was not aware of this. You assumed we all knew this, even after 800+ posts in the other thread. I was under the assumption the DC program was run directly by MVC, just like the StarOptions program is run by Vistana.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It's already been known for quite some time, going back even further than MVW's acquisition of ILG, that MVW has been utilizing some aspects of the II platform in day-to-day performance of the DC. I'm not sure if the entire scope of affected performance has ever been unearthed but there are others who have drilled down into this much more than I have. So, to answer your question, they do.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Considering MVC utilizes the II weeks exchange program for internal weeks exchanges right now, adding all the ILG properties to the mix should be relatively easy. So it would be nothing for points reservations, which would be still be somewhere down the line (2020?) but allow ordinary week for week exchanges across brands without fees if your a “member”.
Marriott did not buy ILG to lose money. Without fees? No such luck.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I am not sure if the seasonality is a factor but if I were Marriott I would not announce it at the beginning of January since it is low season at many resorts and it would not help the sales force that much. From this prospective, announcing it in the summer would make more sense. As a matter of fact, I would have actually announced it already on July 1st. Of course it also depends on whether they have all the details figured out.

View attachment 12948

Putting a program in place requires changes to IT infrastructure. That will impact timing a lot. Changing IT takes time. It’s only been 10 months since the transaction closed.

With so many resorts in warm weather destinations where first quarter IS high season, timeshare seasonality is not nearly as seasonal as the overall hotel market in the chart. Here are the last four quarters of Marriott Vacations Worldwide’s vacation ownership contract sales. These are just for legacy MVW and do not include ILG for comparability:

Q1 2019 - $201 million
Q4 2018 - $224 million
Q3 2018 - $252 million
Q2 2018 - $205 million

So there is seasonality, but it’s not extreme.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was not aware of this. You assumed we all knew this, even after 800+ posts in the other thread. I was under the assumption the DC program was run directly by MVC, just like the StarOptions program is run by Vistana.

I thought I'd been clear in saying a number of times that the three basic components of the DC are the Trust, the Points that correlate to the Trust, and the Exchange Company. Even though their exchange company was developed and introduced under the MVW umbrella, it still is an independent entity that could function as a vehicle for non-Marriott-branded timeshares, including any that are outside the MVW umbrella.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The DC Exchange is run by Marriott. It is part of the Marriott Vacations umbrella. But as Sue said, it was set up and configured in a way that “affiliate” programs can participate. See the diagram in post 24

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I thought I'd been clear in saying a number of times that the three basic components of the DC are the Trust, the Points that correlate to the Trust, and the Exchange Company. Even though their exchange company was developed and introduced under the MVW umbrella, it still is an independent entity that could function as a vehicle for non-Marriott-branded timeshares, including any that are outside the MVW umbrella.

Is the DC an independent company with its own management? Based even on your statement of how it started I would assume it has tight ties to Marriott, and it appears (I’m making an assumption) that its only customer is Marriott. I think you’re using the word “independent” very loosely here.

Any corporate owned system, of any type, can be modified to encompass additional features. By the same token as your independent DC, I could postulate that Marriott will opt to adopt StarOptions and use the Vistana exchange system...and then bundle Hyatt and whatever other systems they want into it. Or, as has been said, II. It won’t, but I can speculate...and I know you enjoy that...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The DC Exchange is run by Marriott. It is part of the Marriott Vacations umbrella. But as Sue said, it was set up and configured in a way that “affiliate” programs can participate. See the diagram in post 24

I saw your diagram in the million post thread and thought it helpful. It still isn’t independent by any practical definition (based on my understanding).

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I saw your diagram in the million post thread and thought it helpful. It still isn’t independent by any practical definition (based on my understanding).

Not “independent” from a management perspective, but set up in a way that affiliate programs can participate. Think of VSN as an affiliate. It’s also managed by Marriott now but is a separate program. It could just become another red circle in the diagram - a mirror of the red circle called DC Trust.