• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott and ILG

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s correct, I posted that finding in the other thread. Everything should have been the same but wasn’t, and another poster did a mock 11 night reservation that had significantly more points required under HPP than two separate 7 and 4 night reservations under HRC. I am not sure if it’s a bug or a “feature” of HPP, but either way, I won’t be buying. I don’t think enough attention is being paid to this “Marriott” style Points skim.

taffy19

Reaction score
Even if they leave the systems as they are, it would be a nice benefit if they provide a cross-over system that would allow Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott owners to have internal access to each other's inventory. That would make more locations available without having to go through II. Of course, II would lose out on exchange fees, so there would have to be provisions to offset that.

This will be interesting to see how it develops. I am glad to see that ILG is not pursuing anything with Diamond at this point.

Best regards.

Mike
I agree but what are Diamond Resorts up to next?

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s correct, I posted that finding in the other thread. Everything should have been the same but wasn’t, and another poster did a mock 11 night reservation that had significantly more points required under HPP than two separate 7 and 4 night reservations under HRC. I am not sure if it’s a bug or a “feature” of HPP, but either way, I won’t be buying. I don’t think enough attention is being paid to this “Marriott” style Points skim.
I did see the 11 night mock stay you were referring too. I'm curious if the dates were "exactly" the same. Appears the original post has been deleted. If the four nights was switched on one to before or after the full week I can see where there could be that different if you change seasons from silver to gold, or gold to silver. I looked at the points chart and it was a silver week from the Hrc and 4 night mid week in silver to get that point total. For some reason the 4 nights in the hpp example would have had to been gold to get that point total. A bug? By hyatt design? Or the mock stay had the 4 nights before the full week on one and after on the other causing a change in seasons? It doesn't make sense. The points charts appear perfectly overlaid when comparing them. Maybe perhaps the person(s) who programed the HPC did a bad job programming in the dates to match up correctly with the required points based on the points chart and made some errors along the way and was in a hurry?

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buckle up your seatbelts as Marriott is indeed acquiring ILG. It will definitely be interesting to see how Marriott treats the HPP program.

NWTRVLRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Kal! We are at Pinon Pointe right now and actually heading into an owners update in less than 3 hours... let us know if there are any specific questions you want us to ask :)

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Buckle up your seatbelts as Marriott is indeed acquiring ILG. It will definitely be interesting to see how Marriott treats the HPP program.

Hopefully they’ll make it better.

They did an ok job with the Marriott points system, I think.

But the trend is to try to destroy the resale market for their product, to make points worthless as resales.

The Sheraton and Westin Flex products: ugh.

I hope Hyatt shakes out closer to the Marriott model than the Starwood model. We shall see.

taffy19

Reaction score
What will happen to the Hyatt Residence Club name if this goes through?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Kal! We are at Pinon Pointe right now and actually heading into an owners update in less than 3 hours... let us know if there are any specific questions you want us to ask :)
I would press them again on the request list for detailed specifics.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
What will happen to the Hyatt Residence Club name if this goes through?
Here is the media quote:
"The combined company will be the global licensee of seven upper-upscale and luxury vacation brands using the Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, Westin, St. Regis and Hyatt names."

This tells me the naming convention will be the same as under ILG. They are just renting the name from Hyatt so as to depict a level of quality associated with Hyatt. As always they will say there will be no management change in the HRC/HPP. But once they figure out the quality of their performance in producing the HPP (and its huge success:shrug:) I would hope some of those heads will roll and go find opportunities elsewhere.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect Marriott will offer members in their points program a fantastic opportunity to trade into the HPP. Cost will probably be points and substantial cash. Let's see if they learned anything from the HRC offer of $13K to pay to play.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, shucks. I'm a little concerned about how little ol' Hyatt will be treated in this new mega-timeshare-opoly. I'm not thrilled with how Marriott has treated their owners over the last decade. Doing things which increase their bottom line at the expense of current and future owners. This is why I bought Hyatt in the first place, I liked their system. This is also why, when looking for a second timeshare, I passed on Marriott (ended up with a Hilton, I must like "H" properties). I know it is too soon to know what changes may come, so we are really just speculating at this point. Guess I need to go find a beer and relax. :)

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you, Kal. It is a kind of ironic that the Marriott Resort and the Hyatt Residence Club are next door to each other on Ka’anapali Beach. Both are very nice resorts in a great location. We are so relieved that this merger isn't going through now.

Marriott knows what they are doing and most people seem to be happy in either program (owners who still own Legacy weeks but are enrolled in the DC Club and Trust Points' owners who have a more flexible program yet.)

More good news is the tentatively scheduled restoration of Ka'anapali beach starting in the Fall of 2019. We received this letter in the mail recently from the Maui Ocean Club. Why didn't we receive this notice from the Hyatt Residence Club or I may have missed it.

There was quite some beach erosion on this side of Black Rock too that I never noticed last year. On the other side of Black Rock it was last year already. They need to do something about it if they want the tourists to keep on coming back like on Waikiki Beach.

PS. Edit to add the following words to the bolded sentence because that is what I meant.

Last edited:

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah... so I just read through the press release to investors. The language in the release is very heavy on the reduce costs while increasing profits, and light on the make a better system for our owners.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fail to see how MVC could be any worse than ILG. At least Marriott is a class act and has good leadership. I'm just surprised Marriott paid so much for ILG.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott has nice properties, I'll give them that. However, owners pay high maintenance fees for them (I would say higher than comparable Hyatt properties), your response is we all pay high maintenance fees. Ok, fair enough. Marriott came up with this points thing a while back. So, my understanding is they ended their internal trading and made it so an owner prior to 2010 could buy in to the points program, or trade through II. THEN, any new owner who buys after 2010 must use II to trade. To me this devalues the owner (original and future). OK, so buy "points"... fine, but to buy resale, the new owner must pay Marriott a $2 per point fee. This buy in fee only hurts current and future owners. The only reason they do this is to pad their bottom line at the expense of current and future owners. I don't like it, which is why I did not buy in to their program.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
One thing is for sure: we HRC owners will be on the lookout for how any changes will affect the owners either positively or negatively. Sapper's post regarding the press release is not encouraging, but let's also remember that that release was meant to communicate to shareholders. Eventually, Marriott will be communicating with us HRC owners, and both the tone and the content of that letter will be very interesting.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Press release also indicates that Marriott expects to complete the acquisition "in the second half of 2018". That's quick. They apparently have no concerns about regulatory interference on this one.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the Marriott press release includes the statement of "With respect to its Hyatt business, the combined company will have rights to develop, market and sell under the Hyatt Vacation Ownership programs", it sounds like HRC will remain a separate brand/entity and there may actually be new properties added to the HRC brand. While HRC owners have heard about new properties being added to the system for the past 10 years, this could be the best chance for that to really happen - granted, to have access to them you'd have to buy into HPP. I've got time to sit and watch to see how it unfolds, just wont hold my breath.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure: we HRC owners will be on the lookout for how any changes will affect the owners either positively or negatively. Sapper's post regarding the press release is not encouraging, but let's also remember that that release was meant to communicate to shareholders. Eventually, Marriott will be communicating with us HRC owners, and both the tone and the content of that letter will be very interesting.

Funny you mention that, as I was writing the text here, in the back of my head I was thinking "yeah, well, they were communicating with share holders, so "speak to your audience" kind of thing. I'm still a bit concerned. Mainly it is the unknown that concerns me. Nothing I can do about it, so will just sit back and watch for the time being. :)

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Press release also indicates that Marriott expects to complete the acquisition "in the second half of 2018". That's quick. They apparently have no concerns about regulatory interference on this one.

Too busy with the Sprint / TMobile merger to bother with a little timeshare monopoly... I mean merger. :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It will be interesting to see if Hyatt pulls the rug out from under the deal. Wasn't there a clause in their agreement with ILG where they could void the deal if Hyatt came under the control of a competitor brand? I am not sure if this is the case with VAC being an independent company, it would seem that they would have to keep Hyatt as a separate company under VAC. I also would think that Hyatt likes the revenue from the license agreement with is really pure profit.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the Marriott press release includes the statement of "With respect to its Hyatt business, the combined company will have rights to develop, market and sell under the Hyatt Vacation Ownership programs", it sounds like HRC will remain a separate brand/entity and there may actually be new properties added to the HRC brand. While HRC owners have heard about new properties being added to the system for the past 10 years, this could be the best chance for that to really happen - granted, to have access to them you'd have to buy into HPP. I've got time to sit and watch to see how it unfolds, just wont hold my breath.

I wonder if they will roll the HPP into their Trust Point program.