• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mariner's Boathouse, Estero?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Comments, anyone?

Looking at for possible exchange - we love to watch wading birds. We don't mind a short scenic walk to the actual swimming beach. But how pleasant or unpleasant otherwise is the lagoon in front? Have read mixed comments.

TIA

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Nobody seems to have posted any comments since Irma went through there, so I really don't know. 25 years ago when the Boathouse was built, it was kind of a mucky area that had a certain aroma during low tide, but that lagoon has grown quite a bit and might not be anywhere near as bad as it once was.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody seems to have posted any comments since Irma went through there, so I really don't know. 25 years ago when the Boathouse was built, it was kind of a mucky area that had a certain aroma during low tide, but that lagoon has grown quite a bit and might not be anywhere near as bad as it once was.

Fwiw, I visited relatives staying at Tropical Sands Resort in Fort Myers Beach (diagonally across the street from Mariner's Boathouse) just last week. I went across Estero Blvd from TSR to walk the beach and to see how or if the shoreline had changed as a result of Hurricane Irma.

Frankly, I could see no perceptible difference from a pre-Irma visit of a year ago (and several consecutive years prior), except that the "lagoon" water might now be a bit deeper, perhaps from storm surge. The total area / boundaries of the "lagoon" did not seem any different at all to me (and the lagoon certainly did not "stink", even at low tide). Mullet were periodically jumping, breaking the surface of the lagoon water and assorted shorebirds were feeding along the lagoon edges. The beach is still accessible (without touching any lagoon waters at all) from just past the Caribbean Beach Club property, which is right next door to Mariner's Boathouse.

A bigger issue on FMB is the multi-year water and sewer lines upgrade project moving in segments (from north to south). The northern part of FMB is currently very difficult to reach from the southern end with all the construction equipment, cones, lane diversions, etc. slowing down traffic (which is a very slow and very congested crawl in Snowbird season anyhow, even without any construction projects). All that ongoing construction can't be good for the businesses located in the current work areas on Estero Island. We refused to participate in that vehicle chaos and slow crawl; we deliberately limited our restaurant visits to places south of the Publix (which is located approximately mid-island).

I have no knowledge of the lagoon's status in long ago yesteryear, but long ago yesteryear is completely irrelevant today anyhow. The "lagoon" certainly seemed very little different to me during my observations over each of the past few years when visiting relatives, including when comparing its' size and appearance before and after last fall's Hurricane Irma. :shrug:

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
So it's not changed much from last year, but has certainly grown over the last 20 years. Back then you didn't walk on sand, you walked in muck, and it stank at low tide. Maybe they replenished the beach there.