• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

mandatory resort fees

timesharer

Reaction score
Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Every resort is different, but the State of Hawaii charges all guests a mandatory local tax at check-out. It's the TAT or Transient Accommodations Tax, and it depends on the size/price of the unit. For instance, at the Westin Princeville, it ranges from about $6 - $14 per day, per unit.

Some resorts also charge guests for parking, or resort fees, but it varies widely.

Frankly, if the fees are a concern, Hawaii may not be your cup of tea, because everything about Hawaii is expensive: dining out, groceries, activities, car rentals.

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the Strip hotels in Las Vegas do this now, too. Usually something like $30. The "fee" includes your daily newspaper and the use of the pool. :) Things that *used to be* free.

I was on Kauai a few weeks ago and noticed the resort fee on my bill. Like the airlines, this is one more way they try to make a profit. Though, unlike baggage fees and pay-for-meals, you can't opt out of the resort fee.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that the cliffs charges exchangers something like $75 for the week....pool, internet etc.

Point at Poipu it is $25 per day

Bali Hai did not charge anything but Only allows one exchange unit without paying a guest fee.....I had 2 units for my daughters wedding and had to have RCI straighten that out....they did not want to let me check into the 2nd unit without another $59 in RCI's pocket.

Have never been charged at Shearwater, Kao Kai, Pahio beach club, Marriott beach club, westin princeville, Hanalei Bay resort or shell vacation club....other than the transient tax

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Some resorts in Hawaii also charge a fee for use of the a/c. It's optional.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Resort Fees and Extra Charges

Some resorts in Hawaii also charge a fee for use of the a/c. It's optional.

We love Hawaii and will still go there with extra fees and taxes unless it gets unreasonable. However, we own a non-Hawaiian resort that charges a $25 a week resort fee for internet access, the safe and activities which means that my maintenance is less since I don't pay higher maintenance for those things. I believe that is wrong. When you trade into a resort the cost of staying there should be the use of your exchanged week or points with no additional fees. For one resort to charge for stuff that is free at other resorts is not playing fair.
I wish I had a resort that I could control to prove this point. I would charge a fee for flushing the toilet, taking a shower, using the TV, etc. Perhaps that would get the point across to those want to charge a resort fee that doing so can create an undesirable contest to implement the most absurd fees.

By the way the transient tax is implemented by the State of Hawaii and the resort has no control over it. I have had fellow timeshare people feel that the resort should pay the tax and not pass it along to the people that stay in the timeshare. I don't agree with that since it would raise the maintenance for the owners of the resort. The tax is for occupancy not ownership like real estate taxes are. While I don't like the tax and have complained to the Waikiki State legislator about it, I don't believe that the owner should pay for it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When you trade into a resort the cost of staying there should be the use of your exchanged week or points with no additional fees. For one resort to charge for stuff that is free at other resorts is not playing fair.

Good luck with this.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
There are no resort fees for exchangers at any of the Marriott Hawaii resorts. Also no fees for internet or for parking (unless you have more than one car at Ko Olina and perhaps some others). The only mandatory fees are the Hawaii transient tax.