• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Man leaves US to avoid paying student debt

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
My point is dig in, develop a plan then follow through. Where there is a will, there is a way...

George

As Vince Lombardi once said...

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." :thumbup:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
One thing no one has mentioned so far is Cooperative Education or Co-Op at any of a number of schools.

Back in the dark ages (60’s), my future brother-in-law and I attended the University of Cincinnati. He was a business major and I was an Engineering major. By way of Co-Op, which was invented back in 1906 at UC IIRC, which alternates one quarter of school with one quarter of work and living at home, we both graduated on time in five years with zero debts.

Many schools offer Co-Op programs with excellent jobs and the benefit of both earning a good salary and solid work experiences. At UC for example, Co-Op is required in Engineering, Design, Architecture Art and Planning (DAAP) and IT. It is optional in Business, Health Laboratory Sciences and Communication majors in A&S.

Here’s a good discussion of the Co-Op system
https://www.road2college.com/colleges-with-coop-programs/

Cheers

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
A quick google search brought up the website about student loans https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-student-loan-debt It's easy to understand and even has some nice bar graphs. I have no idea if it is accurate and I don't have time to fact check, but on the face it looks good. There is a lot of information here. I find the increase in loan amounts since 2004 to be quite interesting.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back when I decided to quit work, return to school full time and complete the final year to get my degree I searched the entire US to find the cheapest decent school to attend. I didn't care where it was. Back then (it was 1967-1968) I settled on Southern Illinois' new Edwardsville campus. I rented a room from a couple in North St Louis, settled in and graduated. My major was Accounting; my minor Finance. When I went back into the job market no prospective employer (and I emphasize the word "no") gave a damn where my degree was from. My point is dig in, develop a plan then follow through. Where there is a will, there is a way...

George
Good for you George. Known as the party school, my cousin overlapped with you, my sister started there in 1968, my former brother in law at same time.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
One thing no one has mentioned so far is Cooperative Education or Co-Op at any of a number of schools.

Back in the dark ages (60’s), my future brother-in-law and I attended the University of Cincinnati. He was a business major and I was an Engineering major. By way of Co-Op, which was invented back in 1906 at UC IIRC, which alternates one quarter of school with one quarter of work and living at home, we both graduated on time in five years with zero debts.

Many schools offer Co-Op programs with excellent jobs and the benefit of both earning a good salary and solid work experiences. At UC for example, Co-Op is required in Engineering, Design, Architecture Art and Planning (DAAP) and IT. It is optional in Business, Health Laboratory Sciences and Communication majors in A&S.

Here’s a good discussion of the Co-Op system
https://www.road2college.com/colleges-with-coop-programs/

Cheers

This is interesting. I had never heard of this program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This has turned into an interesting thread of how to pay for higher education. It follows similar threads on TUG over the years regarding large purchases, and is not dissimilar to advice given to those considering expensive timeshares.

The constant theme seems to be focused on practicality, and in my limited experience with college age students today that is sometimes missing from their plans. In general, those of us who are regular TUG participants are practical with our financial decisions (or at least it appears that way). Suggestions for creative ways to graduate debt free are certainly appropriate, but how many students know of or take advantage of these methods?

When I was in school I had friends who were on work study programs, others who received scholarships, several who had been in the military between high school and college, and even one who purchased a house and obtained a bank loan solely on the strength of friends signing room rental agreements (not sure he still owns that house, but I hope so since it’s likely increased in value ~1000%). I recall reading that my school (small, private, liberal arts) provided a majority of students with some financial aid in various forms (grants, work study, etc). Those that want an education seem to find a way to get it, and we know there are programs to help those who qualify.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
This is interesting. I had never heard of this program.

I’ve written to a few college journalists and advisors about Co-Op and have basically been ignored AFAIK. I suspect one reason is the focus of Co-Op is on programs in career oriented courses of study like Engineering or Business rather than Liberal Arts or general studies.

Cheers

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This has turned into an interesting thread of how to pay for higher education. It follows similar threads on TUG over the years regarding large purchases, and is not dissimilar to advice given to those considering expensive timeshares.

The constant theme seems to be focused on practicality, and in my limited experience with college age students today that is sometimes missing from their plans. In general, those of us who are regular TUG participants are practical with our financial decisions (or at least it appears that way). Suggestions for creative ways to graduate debt free are certainly appropriate, but how many students know of or take advantage of these methods?

When I was in school I had friends who were on work study programs, others who received scholarships, several who had been in the military between high school and college, and even one who purchased a house and obtained a bank loan solely on the strength of friends signing room rental agreements (not sure he still owns that house, but I hope so since it’s likely increased in value ~1000%). I recall reading that my school providing a majority of students with some financial aid in various forms (grants, work study, etc). Those that want an education seem to find a way to get it, and we know there are programs to help those who qualify.

I pretty much lived in the financial aid office. I pestered them with a million questions and cobbled together enough information to get the funds that I needed. I did work study for 4 years and because I lived on campus and had a meal plan they packed a free lunch for me every day that I took to work. (Never eating another plain Turkey sandwich wrapped in stinky saran wrap again, thank you). It had to be done. I went to summer school and winter session to graduate on time because my grants were for four years only. Of course grades had to be kept up to requalify for my academic scholarships too. It was a lot like learning timeshare systems. Including the part where the rules were tweaked every year.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Interesting that you brought up Co-op. One of the schools my daughter looked at was Drexel University in Philadelphia. Many of their programs included Co-op with a 4- or 5- year option. They have quarter systems, and you are either attending school or working in your field for the whole time, including summers. For example, the 5-year program included six quarters (three 6-month sessions) of working at a company (and earning money). Link: Drexel University's Co-op Information

It was interesting to see the whole school based on the Co-op plan. I went to a state school, and they had some Co-op opportunities, but it was a small percentage of students that took advantage of them. I personally had a 6-month Co-op in what would have been the Fall and Winter quarters of my Senior year. It delayed my graduation a year, but gave me some great real world experience, and looked great on my resume when I did graduate.

Kurt

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
My sister told her 2 children that she (& DH) would pay for their university education for 1 degree only and only if it was completed in the number of years it was supposed to be done in. My niece completed her BSc in Ottawa (ON) then wanted to go on to get her Masters. She investigated and found out she could get her Masters in Belgium at no charge as an international student! She had to pay for airfare over and a nominal fee for residence. She was even allowed to work if it was for the University. She got a job with the University's library the first week she was there. After she completed her Masters a few months ago she announced she was going to stay in Europe as the Dutch guy she met at university in Ottawa (and also got his Masters in Brussels, Belgium) has asked her to marry him and live in The Netherlands where he has landed a great job. My niece applied for citizenship (easy & fast) and now also has a great job there. They are happily living in Gouda and just bought a cute little house I hope to see when we go over for their wedding next year.

~Diane