TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Mallorca Tips and Favorites

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by stslc, Sep 8, 2018.

1. stslc

stslc TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mountainside, MOC Sequel
    We are excited about our most recent II trade. Traded 1BR of our Mountainside Gold Week into a 3BR at Club Son Antem next May. We've been to the Marbella area Marriotts but never to Mallorca.
    We plan to rent a car to explore every corner of the island. May will be a bit early for beach time but we plan to spend some days on the sand and riding bikes.

Looking for some of your favorite places to dine and things to see and do. Favorite beach/cove, spot in the mountains, little hidden away cafe or restaurant?

Please share your faves.
    Thx in advance

2. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

That's a very good trade! You're in for a treat, Son Antem is our favourite resort although I know it's not to everyone's taste. It is a bit rural but that's fine when you have a car. It's an easy 20 minute drive from the airport, the closest town is (edit) Llucmajor which is a five minute drive from the resort. Here there are some good restaurants in the main square however be warned......if you have no experience of driving extremely narrow roads in an old Spanish town then consider parking outside the old town or get a taxi. Driving aside you can find yourself searching high and low for a parking space in the old town during busy times.

May is an excellent time to visit. Don't assume it's not beach time, whilst the sea is not warm it will most definitely be sunbathing weather. We tend to go in May and October and it's perfect weather, not too hot and ideal for exploring the island.

Palma is my favourite Spanish city and there's plenty to see there along with some great restaurants (I don't recommend restaurants as it's all too subjective).

This is a worthwhile guide to 36 hours in Palma, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/majorca/articles/36-hours-in-palma/

Another iconic attraction is the old wooden train that runs between Palma and Port Soller. It travels through the Tramuntana mountains and provides some fantastic views. It can be busy though and parking is often difficult to find in Palma. I would recommend going on a day when there are no or few cruises docked and also pick up the train at Bunyola. This is a small town at the base of the mountains. You can park at this little station for free and it is from here that the journey enters the more scenic portion. Stop off a Soller and enjoy a great lunch at one of the many excellent restaurants.

Also in the mountains is the town of Valldemossa, another worthwhile trip. https://www.seemallorca.com/valldemossa

Arta is another lovely old town which is dominated by a fortress at the top of a hill and inside is an old church. The views from the fortress are impressive and the town is full of narrow cobbled streets with museums, independent shops and plenty of restaurants. Nearby are the Caves of Arta, hugely impressive caves full of stalactites and stalagmites which can be viewed on guided tours. I would suggest visiting the caves in the morning and drive to the town of Arta to climb up to the fortress and then have lunch in the town.

I wouldn't bother with the Drac Caves. Very overrated and touristy. Whilst the caves themselves are impressive you're ushered rapidly though them by a guide ending up in an amphitheatre filled with benches. If you're unlucky enough to be amongst the first to arrive in this chamber you'll have a long wait, possibly up to 40 minutes whilst the room fills up before finally being serenaded by a trio of musicians being rowed in a boat across the underground lake in front of you. This bears no relevance to the caves and is simply a naff tourist trap. The stampede towards the narrow exit at the end is also frustrating. The Arta caves are a far better option.

There is a very good market at nearby Campos. The resort staff will advise you of when the local markets are on. Expect stalls of the most amazing cheese, meat and vegetables alongside independent shops selling a variety of artisan goods.

Mallorca is an easy island to explore and nowhere is more than 1 1/2 drive away. It's a real gem of an island and is often overlooked by many Americans who are keen on concentrating on the Spanish mainland.

You don't specify when in May you're going. We'll be there during the last week with a number of friends as it is the May half term so if you're there at that time then expect it to be busy and I'd like to apologise in advance for my noisy children. However the beauty of Son Antem is the individual pools per eight villas which means that the resort never feels crowded and very often you can be the only ones at the pool.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Steve Fatula, Gemini Chica and stslc like this.
  3. bazzap

bazzap TUG Member

A very helpful response to stsic.
    I am sure you meant to write that the closest town is Llucmajor
    (Estepona would be a very long drive and ferry trip - haha)
    We will be back in Son Antem in just a few days now, if there any specific questions anyone has.

4. stslc

stslc TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mountainside, MOC Sequel
    Thank you for all the tips and links! We are going the 4th-11th with friends. Leaving the kids at home for this one.

5. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

Haha, yes! Too many Spanish towns in my head.

6. stslc

stslc TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mountainside, MOC Sequel
    So we’ve added a few days in Amsterdam to ride bikes through the tulips. Looking at flights from AMS to Mallorca, the two non-stop options are Transavia Airlines and Easyjet. EJ is slightly less expensive. Any experiences/opinions on which would be a better experience? We will likely be checking a bag each.

7. bazzap

bazzap TUG Member

I know nothing about Transavia, but typically take 4 or more return flights with Easyjet every year.
    From our experience, they are definitely one of the better low cost airlines.
    We have always found them to be fair value, dependable, mostly on time and of a good standard.

8. Gemini Chica

Gemini Chica TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marbella Beach Resort
    My hubby uses Transavia regularly and finds them good, he says he would put them on par with Easyjet, so go with best price/times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Gemini Chica

Gemini Chica TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marbella Beach Resort
    Also try Vueling and possibly KLM and Iberia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. bazzap

bazzap TUG Member

These airlines all require 1 stop though for the AMS-PMI route.

Gemini Chica likes this.
  11. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

Never flown with Transavia, Easyjet has been fine. People often encounter problems with strict hand luggage rules however as you're checking luggage this shouldn't be an issue.