• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Make Sense to Purchase Lakeshore Reserve?

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Debating rather to purchase Lakeshore reserve resale (we go there every year March or October) or purchase 2500 points resale for more flexibility.

We own EOY Grande Vista and have been electing points each year and have been able to get a 2 bedroom EOY but have to go for getaways or stay at another resort but prefer Lakeshore and have 4 adults minimum. Moving toward retirement and will be staying multiple weeks in Orlando. I was also investigating a direct hybrid bundle purchase (another thread I started).

Main drawback with Lakeshore I see is the MFs are higher than most in Orlando.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Lakeshore Reserve does have the highest MFs of all the Orlando Marriott properties. I would really only recommend buying there to stay there. It isn't an overly hard exchange if you don't have a specific week in mind. It also has a strange season structure. Another Grande Vista would probably function just as well. October in to Lakeshore Reserve shouldn't be an overly difficult trade using Grande Vista. March however may be more difficult.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks dioxide, I used to be able to get getaways for October/November which is a busy time due to the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. This year I did not see any getaways and tried doing imaginary exchanges and did not see any through II that way either. I ended up making the reservation using Destination Points (which is the other option for a purchase but upfront costs are high, MFs a little less than Lakeshore for a 2 bedroom). We plan on coming here every year around Oct/Nov so we would use it.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also really enjoy Lakeshore and thought of a resale. We really enjoy the pool area.

I wonder how crowded it would be if this resort is built out as originally planned. Hard to know if and when this might happen. On our way to Lakeshore!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also really enjoy Lakeshore and thought of a resale. We really enjoy the pool area.

I wonder how crowded it would be if this resort is built out as originally planned. Hard to know if and when this might happen. On our way to Lakeshore!

More crowded than current but there is another pool and many other common areas if it was built out.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oct/Nov weeks pop up all the time. It is a super easy exchange if you look daily. Orlando exchanges doubling as getaways is common but the getaway issue is they make tweaks from time to time and they may have prevented the October weeks from hitting getaway inventory because Lakeshore units do not sit long. You need another trader if you want to make the exchanges so that you are not dependent on getaways.

As Dioxide mentioned the season structure is different. If you decide to buy at Lakeshore you cannot reserve Mar & Oct/Nov with the same ownership. March is Platinum Premier and Oct/Nov is Platinum.

You are golden just exchanging if you want Oct/Nov. Buying Lakeshore would be more convenient but just way to expensive up front and annually for what is needed.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
We bought at lakeshore mainly for day use. To me, it is worth it to be able to go anytime that we want.

Yes, I realize that they could end that program, but until they do, we utilize it.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought at lakeshore mainly for day use. To me, it is worth it to be able to go anytime that we want.

Yes, I realize that they could end that program, but until they do, we utilize it.

I did the same thing and I do not believe they can end the program, or at least not easily. The rules governing day use at lakeshore I believe are baked into the governing docs. This is why there are never any blackout days. The day use at lakeshore is extremely valuable especially if you live in the Hunters Creek area. We are further but it is still well worth it. Lakeshore is one of the few properties in Orlando that is very easy to rent out at break even or slightly better.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Oct/Nov weeks pop up all the time. It is a super easy exchange if you look daily. Orlando exchanges doubling as getaways is common but the getaway issue is they make tweaks from time to time and they may have prevented the October weeks from hitting getaway inventory because Lakeshore units do not sit long. You need another trader if you want to make the exchanges so that you are not dependent on getaways.

As Dioxide mentioned the season structure is different. If you decide to buy at Lakeshore you cannot reserve Mar & Oct/Nov with the same ownership. March is Platinum Premier and Oct/Nov is Platinum.

You are golden just exchanging if you want Oct/Nov. Buying Lakeshore would be more convenient but just way to expensive up front and annually for what is needed.

I agree. We do not own at Lakeshore, but have gone there several times (always on an II exchange). We have never been able to deduce a pattern, and have just learned to check II regularly and every once in a while the inventory slot machine comes in for us with 3 bananas ... :banana::banana::banana:.

Good luck.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Debating rather to purchase Lakeshore reserve resale (we go there every year March or October) or purchase 2500 points resale for more flexibility.

We own EOY Grande Vista and have been electing points each year and have been able to get a 2 bedroom EOY but have to go for getaways or stay at another resort but prefer Lakeshore and have 4 adults minimum. Moving toward retirement and will be staying multiple weeks in Orlando. I was also investigating a direct hybrid bundle purchase (another thread I started).

Main drawback with Lakeshore I see is the MFs are higher than most in Orlando.
For Lakeshore buying additional points or a hybrid purchase might make sense depending on how you'd use it. In part it depends on whether you'd have to add a non corporate II account or if you already have one. If you're OK with the second II account, owning a non enrolled GV week and using the special request first might be the best bet to get Lakeshore part of the time. To only use for Lakeshore, I'd likely just buy there and eat the higher dues, esp if you wouldn't have to have a second II account anyway. If you want more points regardless, a hybrid purchase with GV might be a good choice as well.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For Lakeshore buying additional points or a hybrid purchase might make sense depending on how you'd use it. In part it depends on whether you'd have to add a non corporate II account or if you already have one. If you're OK with the second II account, owning a non enrolled GV week and using the special request first might be the best bet to get Lakeshore part of the time. To only use for Lakeshore, I'd likely just buy there and eat the higher dues, esp if you wouldn't have to have a second II account anyway. If you want more points regardless, a hybrid purchase with GV might be a good choice as well.

We have a corporate account as our grande Vista is enrolled I prefer not having another account as I have one with Vistana and Marriott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a corporate account as our grande Vista is enrolled I prefer not having another account as I have one with Vistana and Marriott

Just look at the variables. In this case you likely couldn't trade a new resale purchase through your corporate account so owning at the resort you want to stay at and only using it or renting it might be better and cheaper than doing a points or hybrid purchase.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

But it sure is thousands of dollars cheaper than buying a resale Lakeshore unit and tens of thousands cheaper than buying a hybrid package. If ultimate convenience and Lakeshore annually is the goal with money a distant second then the resale or hybrid is a good option. It is just so expensive for something that is easy to get otherwise.

Here is something to think about compared to a resale or hybrid purchase if Lakeshore is desired. Lakeshore really is not overly expensive to book on marriott.com. As a matter of fact using the 7VC discount code for Oct/Nov costs less to book on Marriott.com than it cost for the maintenance fees. No up front payment required and you can cancel 3 days before check-in. There really is no reason to buy a Lakeshore unit for most of the weeks in the year.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I checked October 2018, I need a 2 bedroom so the cheapest I saw for a studio and a 1 bedroom was $3200 with tax. That would be $1500 more a year more than owning. A 2 bedroom resale is around $5000 upfront.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked October 2018, I need a 2 bedroom so the cheapest I saw for a studio and a 1 bedroom was $3200 with tax. That would be $1500 more than a year more than owning. A 2 bedroomnresale is around $5000

That is strange because I am looking right now and it way lower than that. 10/6-10/13 2BR for $1,568+tax. 10/13-10/20 same price for a 2BR. 2BR Townhouse for $1,939+tax. Studio for $938. Small 1BR for $1,043 and large 1BR for $1,204.

Where are you seeing $3,200? Even if I use the rack rate and no owner discount code there is nothing near that high.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 2 bedroom resale is around $5000 upfront.

If you poke around you can get a lower price than $5,000. A $3,500 all-in price from a broker on redweek right now is realistic with $4k automatic. For an auction a 3BR went on ebay recently for $3,500 but I believe closing was additional. The prices have been plummeting for the last couple years and will only continue to drop lower.

We own for the day use but we regularly staycation at Lakeshore. I never use more than a Marriott studio or a cheap 2BR non-Marriott to exchange into Lakeshore. This past Easter I snagged an exchange into a 2BR using a Marriott studio and that is a fairly high demand week.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Saintsfanfl I did see two bedroom for appx $2800 just now on Marriott.com no member discount. Sounds like I can buy a Marriott to trade into lakeshore just DW would be quite disappointed if it did not hit. $$$ is important but not as important as getting Reservatios we want when we want it. We are spoiled.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For an auction a 3BR went on ebay recently for $3,500 but I believe closing was additional.
Closing was actually included, however the buyer has to pay 2018 MFs at closing. Though they do get 2018 usage. Will be interesting to see if it passes ROFR.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there is value in buying where you want to go. If you and your wife are deadset on wanting to go to Lakeshore Reserve, then you should buy it through the resale market. It saves on exchange fees and avoid playing roulette in II. You do not even need to have an II account if you will go back there every year. I do not know if they have EOY, if so, it may be a better option. Committing to go back to the same place each year has been hard for us.

Obviously, if you see the value in buying a hybrid package from Marriott, then it is a different fuzzy math.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Saintsfanfl I did see two bedroom for appx $2800 just now on Marriott.com no member discount. Sounds like I can buy a Marriott to trade into lakeshore just DW would be quite disappointed if it did not hit. $$$ is important but not as important as getting Reservatios we want when we want it. We are spoiled.

You must be seeing the townhouse which is more expensive than the regular 2BR. For some reason the 2BR regular is no longer showing for either Sat-Sat. I guess I gave some free advertising.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did see a 2 bedroom EOY about a year ago and recently a 3 bedroom EOY on ebay but they are very rare for Lakeshore. EOY would probably be perfect for us.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, Went to owners complementary wine/pizza/cheese presentation on update to resort and did not realize the developer is subsidizing maintenance fees and is "slowly" discontinuing the subsidy. Stated MFs go up appx 5% per year. About 4,000 owner weeks and 400 in trust if memory serves me (I may be incorrect on this). This makes me thing the MFs are going to go up faster than the average over the next several years...

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Went to owners complementary wine/pizza/cheese presentation on update to resort and did not realize the developer is subsidizing maintenance fees and is "slowly" discontinuing the subsidy. Stated MFs go up appx 5% per year. About 4,000 owner weeks and 400 in trust if memory serves me (I may be incorrect on this). This makes me thing the MFs are going to go up faster than the average over the next several years...

I think my proposed budget is at home but I do not remember seeing the subsidy decrease. The reason Lakeshore is so expensive is there are extremely nice facilities for less than 100 units. I am not sure they can eliminate the subsidy without having at least some of the rest built out. They are also occupying some unit space with the sales department but I believe they pay a portion of the annual fees for the missing units.

TravlinDuo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Vista (x2)
The last year our maintenance fee invoice included a developer's subsidy was in 2014.