• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Losing Proposition

BillTheBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Attitash Grand Summit
Brand New to Tugs. I was gifted a 13 week (weeks) timeshare; studio.. Attitash Grand Summit. Joined RCI and signed up as a Platinum member. I do not use the timeshare since I own a home nearby. So I put all 13 weeks into the timeshare rental program. If I were to do nothing else with the timeshare but make it available for rent, the net rental income I receive is a losing proposition; I'm net negative.

The Summit provides owners with a calandar a few years out indicating what weeks garner the highest probability of rental. So the weeks I exchange fall out of those blocks of time so I at least I get some rental income.

I'm retired and at this point we are traveling away 6-8 weeks per year. I thought if I were able to maximize my ability to exchange through RCI, the savings on the exchange (exchange fee charged by RCI plus fee charged by timeshare) compared to what the unit I exchange for might rent for a week).

I've exchanged a number of times, and I've been basically happy with the unit exchanged for, almost all the time bigger than a studio.

My question(s) is I want to maximize the value of the unit and number of weeks I exchange out of. I understand from reading some of the FAQ's that its best to exchange out as long as possible. Is this correct?

When it comes to using those weeks based on their point value I was told by RCI that combining the point value of those weeks give me the best opportunity to find a quality exchange. The fee for combining is a one time fee so if I combine all the weeks I am willing to exchange it seems reasonable. Is this a correct assumption?

When it comes to finding a resort this is where I feel it all falls apart. It seems even if I look out a year in advance, the availability of a week is very limited. Also, with RCI once you book, you have only 24 hours to cancel. After that I'm on the hook, or I pay a huge cancellation fee to get those points back. I feel like its a huge crap shoot.

What am I doing wrong? What should I do to maximize the unit I exchange into and have more flexibility in choices?

Thanks. Sorry for such a long intro.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The best practice is to put in an ongoing search as early as possible (a year or more out.) Ongoing searches are filled BEFORE any inventory goes online, so the best weeks are snagged with OGS, behind the scenes and never go online.

When you only look at the online inventory, you only see the leftovers.

BillTheBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Attitash Grand Summit
I just performed my first ongoing search with RCI for exchange property in Vail Co. for next January. I used the RCI Directly so I was able to see all property listed, and I have combined points sufficient enough to exchange with any of the units available. I listed at least a dozen properties all with a check in date of Saturday to Saturday and used a two week range since I would like one week in Vail and a second week in Breckenridge. As soon as I completed the search I got a message no results found.

I'm confused!

I thought performing an ongoing search would be something that would continue until a property became available?

Can you help explain?

Thanks

Bill