• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to buy at Kierland -- where should we be looking?

blahblah18

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're looking to buy a very specific resale at Westin Kierland Villas: an EOY, 1BR in Plat Plus season (either Premium w 81000 SO, or Standard w 67100 SO).

We've been keeping an eye on both RedWeek and the TUG Marketplace for quite some time. No luck so far. (EOY Platinum season listings seem to be incredibly, incredibly rare -- at least on those two websites.)

Are there any other websites we should be keeping an eye on . . . any other good sources of resale listings for Kierland?? Or does anyone know of any good resale brokers with a focus on TS in Arizona?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ebay has the lowest prices.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
i just googled all the timeshare resale companies and what they had listed. I finally found one and we are just signing off on the contract, money is in escrow. Ebay also works, but if you are looking for 148k points, ebay might not have much.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We're looking to buy a very specific resale at Westin Kierland Villas: an EOY, 1BR in Plat Plus season (either Premium w 81000 SO, or Standard w 67100 SO).

We've been keeping an eye on both RedWeek and the TUG Marketplace for quite some time. No luck so far. (EOY Platinum season listings seem to be incredibly, incredibly rare -- at least on those two websites.)

Are there any other websites we should be keeping an eye on . . . any other good sources of resale listings for Kierland?? Or does anyone know of any good resale brokers with a focus on TS in Arizona?

http://www.timeshareaz.com/index.cfm?pagepath=For_Sale_in_Arizona&id=66080

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
i just googled all the timeshare resale companies and what they had listed. I finally found one and we are just signing off on the contract, money is in escrow. Ebay also works, but if you are looking for 148k points, ebay might not have much.

Congratulations! We did the same thing as an entry into the Starwood system and have enjoyed each of our experiences. Good luck with the process and enjoy many great trips.

Mike

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
$19k for 148,100 staroptions unit. Seems pretty high. Wonder what the 1 BR premium sold for in there. I think Redweek is the most active place to source timeshares.

The OP was asking for sources - I gave them one.

Plat+ WKV are not abundant.
The 1Bd Plat+ (81K) was listed for ~$11K previously.
I own 2 of these, and bought one from SmartChoice.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have really been researching mandatory resorts. I ran the numbers on EOY weeks and they just don't seem to work well from a value perspective if they are your only Starwood ownership. Paying that SVN fee every year with only every other year use adds to the total cost of use in the use year.

I agree with Ebay as a good source for low value SO weeks. Just be sure to buy the highest season since the MF is the same for all seasons. I think that is why many lower seasons don't sell very high.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Op, what I've also noticed is that Sheraton vista villages Bella has 81k star options with decently low maintenance fee. I think some of the ones I've seen, are lower than wkv. Just a suggestion, if you're after the 81k star options.

Quick search.
http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshares/index/content/details/AdNumber/1967053/sale/

Here's another for $3500
http://starwood-timeshare.timesharebrokernetwork.com/westin-kierland-villas--5867.html

Here's either a Bella or key west, cheaper and less mf.

http://starwood-timeshare.timesharebrokernetwork.com/sheraton-vistana-villages--4836.html

Last edited:

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Congratulations! We did the same thing as an entry into the Starwood system and have enjoyed each of our experiences. Good luck with the process and enjoy many great trips.

Mike

Thanks mike, we're quite exited. Able to find 148k for $14k.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The question I have is why does WKV cost so much more than Orlando weeks? I get that Orlando is Orlando, but if an SO is an SO, wouldn't they sell for about the same amount? I wouldn't think the extra MF cost (if there are any) in Orlando would warrant the much lower upfront cost?

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
The question I have is why does WKV cost so much more than Orlando weeks? I get that Orlando is Orlando, but if an SO is an SO, wouldn't they sell for about the same amount? I wouldn't think the extra MF cost (if there are any) in Orlando would warrant the much lower upfront cost?

I only started noticing this myself. That the SO on Bella and key west, would be a better buy for 81k then almost any other Westin properties. When searching for my timeshare, either properties would have a max of ~139k SO for 3 bedroom, but maintenance fees increases to about $2100.

It seems like 81k and below, Bella and KW are probably best.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I'm under contract now on a 2 Bedroom Platinum from a broker on Redweek. I've been looking for several months and no one was willing to deal so I finally bit the bullet. I think it is a pretty hot property (no pun intended). Many of them I found were sold quickly before I made an offer.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I only started noticing this myself. That the SO on Bella and key west, would be a better buy for 81k then almost any other Westin properties. When searching for my timeshare, either properties would have a max of ~139k SO for 3 bedroom, but maintenance fees increases to about $2100.

Disagree - my Plat+ WKV (81K SO) have paid for themselves based on rental profit alone. And can sell them for what I paid 9 years ago (resale). Value is more than SO/MF.

Also the Plat+ WSJ-VGV 3Bd gets 257K SO for a MF around $2900.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Disagree - my Plat+ WKV (81K SO) have paid for themselves based on rental profit alone. And can sell them for what I paid 9 years ago (resale). Value is more than SO/MF.

Based on those numbers, WSJ has a SO/MF closer to SVV than WKV. It seems that MKV is about $0.008 to $0.0095 per SO. I think you guys do this metric on the per 1000 SOs? It seems that the 67100 1BR Deluxe at WKV is the best SO/MF value. I didn't consider the ability to rent the week in the equation and I would guess that helps keep the prices up. As you say, not everyone is buying for the SO/MF.

It seems from a usage standpoint, buying SVV would perhaps be better. If you want to have other options open, WKV may be better. Though I suspect someone buying SVV today will still get their money back from the purchase price 10 years from now. Though perhaps not?

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get SVV 81K or 95.7K for between $1 to $3000. I do believe SVV is a better overall deal. My 18K can grow sitting in my investment account....

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV

I totally agree with you, I was just going by a usage standpoint and mf.

Why are we talking about 257k SO?

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get SVV 81K or 95.7K for between $1 to $3000. I do believe SVV is a better overall deal. My 18K can grow sitting in my investment account....
81 k for 3 or 10k but half the MF.

18 k is more than enough to buy 148k points at WKV. A value that's held since 2009.

But the MF on the 148k of SO AT WKV IS 1400 or 1500 with SVN fee. Saves 600 a year.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
81 k for 3 or 10k but half the MF.

18 k is more than enough to buy 148k points at WKV. A value that's held since 2009.

But the MF on the 148k of SO AT WKV IS 1400 or 1500 with SVN fee. Saves 600 a year.

The OP is looking for 81k points so I laid out the best opportunities. I stated that svv maybe the best overall deal for 81k SO with the least mf, anything above 81k gets considerably more for the mf, therefore wkv is a better deal when looking for 148 SO.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP is looking for 81k points so I laid out the best opportunities. I stated that svv maybe the best overall deal for 81k SO with the least mf, anything above 81k gets considerably more for the mf, therefore wkv is a better deal when looking for 148 SO.
Huh look in the MF Db.

A WKV 1 bed premium has 81k SO for about 10c each annual MF.

SVV is about 20c each MF.

WKV costs more up front. SVV less a difference of about 6k

So the extra capital put out saves 600 in cashflow a year and historically at resale WKV sellers have got a good chunk of that capital back. Even those that bought retail!

Then you have the fact that renting in AZ is easier thank overbuilt Florida.

So WKV wins IMHO buy YMMV.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Huh look in the MF Db.

So the extra capital put out saves 600 in cashflow a year and historically at resale WKV sellers have got a good chunk of that capital back. Even those that bought retail!

Rental income is what I considered when choosing WKV. I like to see how others make their buying decisions depending on goals. For me, I calculate how much rental income is probable over maintenance fees and how many years it will take for that annual profit to cover the purchase price.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Huh look in the MF Db.

Lets look at the hard numbers on this. From a pure usage standpoint. Also consider this is the only VSE week owned. I will compare annual to annual.

WKV 1BR Premium (These numbers are from the MF Database for 2014)
$827.60+140.00=$967.60
81,000/$967.60*1000=$11.95 per 1000 SOs

SVV 2BR (The MF Database numbers for Bella don't look quite right (missing taxes), so this is a close estimate)
$1161.62+$140.00=$1301.62
81,000/$1301.62*1000=$16.07 per 1000 SOs.

The annual savings on MFs between the two is $335. I don't know the exact difference in capital outlay, but it is also safe to say that with SVV, there really isn't any so there is no concern if you can only sell it for $1 down the road because you would have lost at most perhaps a $1000. With WKV, while the past is perhaps the only predictor, you are putting a lot more capital at risk that you may not be able to get back. If the difference in capital is $6000, you have an almost 20 year wait to get the return on your capital outlay.

I guess a lot depends on how long you think you may own the week. If you are buying for the long haul, WKV makes more sense. Own for only a few years or just want to get your feet wet, you may want to consider SVV. You can always sell it later for about the same price you paid, even if you have to give it away.

Last edited:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets look at the hard numbers on this. From a pure usage standpoint. Also consider this is the only VSE week owned. I will compare annual to annual.

WKV 1BR Deluxe (These numbers are from the MF Database)
$542.97+$140.00=$682.97
81,000/$682.97*1000=$8.43 per

The 1 BR deluxe is only 67,100 staroptions. Not 81k