• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking into buying resale 2bdrm OFC at WKORV

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
My humble opinion.....

If you're into the 'budget' side of this argument....consider a WKORV Ocean View annual. It's got good MF's, a decent view, a nice place. Affordable. Rentable. Not impossible to book. Much vacation joy with a lot less calories. Oops, I meant money. Less money. All the flavor, half the cost. Geeze. I must be hungry.

If you're into the 'OMG look at that ocean....' scene then either walk out onto the beach from your OV unit or ante up somewhere north of $26,000. More like $32k+ for OFC. We know the obvious benefits...but there's no way of getting around the annual and/or upfront cost.

If you are trying to justify it....you'll probably have a hard time. Why? Because most people won't splurge year-after-year on one specific and very expensive rental that just keeps climbing. You might move to another resort (Hyatt) or move to another island or state or hemisphere. YMMV, but it's easy to try and 'save a bit' on this years vacation...etc

If you're trying to make yourself feel better about OFC/OFD....then just look at the Lahaina/Napili tower ocean front units. Hard to book without multiple weeks and prices appear to be 'stair-stepping' right out of the $20's and into the ether based on the blitzkrieg of ROFR's from Marriott. Or, go next door to the Hyatt and see what they would to charge you. Better have a cocktail in the grotto bar first though....it is a bit staggering. Heck, don't even bother leaving the Westin....just walk into the sales office and ask about developer pricing for a nice Ocean Front unit. The views aren't the only thing that will take your breath away.....

Good luck with your search....I'd like to say I didn't go thru this cycle of justification, but we absolutely did. In the end, just remember to enjoy your vacations and appreciate that you're buying smart....and not on a whim.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Another advantage of owning vs. renting WKORV or WKORVN or MOC. You can lock off the unit and use one side to extend your stay for 2 weeks...that's 2 weeks in a 1 bdrm or studio guaranteed OF for approx. $1300/week which is at least 3x cheaper than renting. Or you can rent one side to pay for the most or the entire MF. In that the case of renting one side of a lock-off, it is the opportunity cost of the capital locked in the unit, plus time to rent and future risks such as assessments or rental income decline during a downturn.

Last edited:

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Well.... I put an offer in on a 2 bedroom OFC EY yesterday afternoon. Now comes the waiting game, waiting hear if the seller accepts our offer then hopefully Vistana doesn't exercise ROFR.

Wkorv or wkorv/n?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Wkorv or wkorv/n?
FYI: The North Phase doesn't have an Ocean Front Center floor plan - they only have one type of OF unit.

jordathyspg

Reaction score
Where are the WKORV OV 2 Bdm Deluxe units located? I note they seem to have similar sqf and maintenance fees as the OF Deluxe units, but if the OF units are on the oceanfront corners of building 2 and 3, where are the OV deluxe, the back corners? Are they harder to book than the standard OV units, since presumably there are less of them?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are the WKORV OV 2 Bdm Deluxe units located? I note they seem to have similar sqf and maintenance fees as the OF Deluxe units, but if the OF units are on the oceanfront corners of building 2 and 3, where are the OV deluxe, the back corners? Are they harder to book than the standard OV units, since presumably there are less of them?
I think that they are in the front corners of bldg. 4, which makes the standard OV units closer to the ocean, IMHO. CJ

Reaction score
Found out yesterday afternoon that Vistana wavied ROFR:banana:!! We officially own OFC at WKORV :whooopie:!! The family is super excited to spend a week every year in Maui.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Found out yesterday afternoon that Vistana wavied ROFR:banana:!! We officially own OFC at WKORV :whooopie:!! The family is super excited to spend a week every year in Maui.

Can you give us details of the purchase?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Congratulations! We own in Maui too!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Another advantage of owning vs. renting WKORV or WKORVN or MOC. You can lock off the unit and use one side to extend your stay for 2 weeks...that's 2 weeks in a 1 bdrm or studio guaranteed OF for approx. $1300/week which is at least 3x cheaper than renting. Or you can rent one side to pay for the most or the entire MF. In that the case of renting one side of a lock-off, it is the opportunity cost of the capital locked in the unit, plus time to rent and future risks such as assessments or rental income decline during a downturn.

Next year, with our Vistana WKOVR-N, we have 1 week reserved in a 1 bedroom oceanfront in Maui and 1 week reserved in the 1 br premium villa at Harborside at Atlantis in the Bahamas, and we still have almost 30,000 star options left over to bank. We own an EOY week so we pay about $1300 per year. It seems like an incredible value to me!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My humble opinion.....

If you're into the 'budget' side of this argument....consider a WKORV Ocean View annual. It's got good MF's, a decent view, a nice place. Affordable. Rentable. Not impossible to book. Much vacation joy with a lot less calories. Oops, I meant money. Less money. All the flavor, half the cost. Geeze. I must be hungry.

If you're into the 'OMG look at that ocean....' scene then either walk out onto the beach from your OV unit or ante up somewhere north of $26,000. More like $32k+ for OFC. We know the obvious benefits...but there's no way of getting around the annual and/or upfront cost.

If you are trying to justify it....you'll probably have a hard time. Why? Because most people won't splurge year-after-year on one specific and very expensive rental that just keeps climbing. You might move to another resort (Hyatt) or move to another island or state or hemisphere. YMMV, but it's easy to try and 'save a bit' on this years vacation...etc

If you're trying to make yourself feel better about OFC/OFD....then just look at the Lahaina/Napili tower ocean front units. Hard to book without multiple weeks and prices appear to be 'stair-stepping' right out of the $20's and into the ether based on the blitzkrieg of ROFR's from Marriott. Or, go next door to the Hyatt and see what they would to charge you. Better have a cocktail in the grotto bar first though....it is a bit staggering. Heck, don't even bother leaving the Westin....just walk into the sales office and ask about developer pricing for a nice Ocean Front unit. The views aren't the only thing that will take your breath away.....

Good luck with your search....I'd like to say I didn't go thru this cycle of justification, but we absolutely did. In the end, just remember to enjoy your vacations and appreciate that you're buying smart....and not on a whim.

For 2019, we booked a week in a 1 bedroom at the Lahaina/Napili tower ocean front units using our MVC DC points. To me, this is a more affordable way to access high end, expensive units without buying into one. As long as you get online within a few days of it opening up, it seems easy to get using DC points. I am able to book 13 months out too!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify: You cannot reserve Ocean View, unless you own Ocean View - your only options are Ocean Front, or Floating View.

A floating view reservation is a Staroption reservation that is made at 8-0 months before check-in, and it has an unassigned view.

The specific unit and view are assigned by the front desk at check-in.

During high season, you are most likely to get an Island View. In the south phase, this means a parking lot view.

Thanks Denise. This is a good thing to recognize when using Star Options at the 8 month mark. I noticed my Harborside reservation says floating view and I was not sure why. I just assumed there are no view categories there. One nice thing about the MVC DC Points program is you can select the view category. To me, that is very valuable and I am willing to pay more points for a view.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
For 2019, we booked a week in a 1 bedroom at the Lahaina/Napili tower ocean front units using our MVC DC points. To me, this is a more affordable way to access high end, expensive units without buying into one. As long as you get online within a few days of it opening up, it seems easy to get using DC points. I am able to book 13 months out too!

How many points was that reservation? 4875? 5675?

That means that 5000 points (just a round number) costs $7.50 (minimum) x 5000 = Somewhere north of $38,000 dollars worth of points.

My comments about 'difficult to book' were related to legacy weeks reservations. Why? Because points cost almost $40k. MUCH more than WKORV.
Also, the MF's on 5000 MVC points are $2800. More than WKORV and more than WKORV/N.

I stand by my statement: WKORV/N is a cheaper alternative and is easier to reserve comparing legacy weeks and cheaper than MM1 and MM1 via points/weeks.
At least for now.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Congratulations.

Expensive.....but worth it IMO. I think it's also a pretty darn good 'investment' if you can use that word around timeshares.
Let's face it: The beach at Ka'anapali isn't getting any bigger.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many points was that reservation? 4875? 5675?

That means that 5000 points (just a round number) costs $7.50 (minimum) x 5000 = Somewhere north of $38,000 dollars worth of points.

My comments about 'difficult to book' were related to legacy weeks reservations. Why? Because points cost almost $40k. MUCH more than WKORV.
Also, the MF's on 5000 MVC points are $2800. More than WKORV and more than WKORV/N.

I stand by my statement: WKORV/N is a cheaper alternative and is easier to reserve comparing legacy weeks and cheaper than MM1 and MM1 via points/weeks.
At least for now.

I booked for the beginning of shoulder season to save some points so I think it was 4875. The MF on this is about $2600 (assuming $.553). I think it is great because I would never buy a unit here but I love the flexibility of staying here when I want. The cost to rent an oceanfront 1 br unit here would probably be 2-3 times the MF on the points.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
VacationFamily, I hope you enjoy many years of wonderful vacations in your new unit! Maui is one of my favorite places on Earth. Enjoy!