• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking into buying resale 2bdrm OFC at WKORV

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 2bdrm oceanfront center annual at WKORV. I have been researching the Westin timeshares on TUG for a long while. We visited Maui in July for the first time & love the area around WKORV. My family & I would like to visit Maui at least once a year, so I figure a timeshare is a really good option for my family of 4 especial if my 2 kids would like to bring a friend or two in the coming years. I found a a resale on a well known site that I am really thinking of call and talking to them to get more information. I wanted to see what people on TUG think about WKORV.

Any input or insight would be great, thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Very nice resort - excellent unit.

One caveat - there are only a few of these OFC units, so to reserve the date you want, you must make the reservation the very second the reservation window opens. If you are not an organized, advanced planner who can commit to reservations 12 months out - you will have difficulty getting the dates you want.

The view from the bottom floor is not nearly as good as the high floors - another reason to book as early as possible.

Reaction score
If I put an offer in for this OFC, can I ask the seller to reserve a week in 2019 as part of the offer? I know the resale process can take a couple of months so that is why I am thinking of asking the seller to reserve a week in late July or early August 2019.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
If I put an offer in for this OFC, can I ask the seller to reserve a week in 2019 as part of the offer? I know the resale process can take a couple of months so that is why I am thinking of asking the seller to reserve a week in late July or early August 2019.

Yes you can BUT as @DeniseM said that reservation should have been made immediately at the 12-month mark which means you are already late for making a late July 2019 reservation and an early August 2019 reservation. In all likelihood, the next time reservations can be made for a seven-day period for OFC at WKORV will be at Midnight Eastern time Wednesday August 15 for arrival Friday August 16, 2019.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Agreed - It's too late to get July or early August - the reservation has to be made EXACTLY 12 months before check-in.

Reaction score
That’s what I thought. So if I get the resale, best view option for 2019 would be OV and then plan 2020 OFV.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
That’s what I thought. So if I get the resale, best view option for 2019 would be OV and then plan 2020 OFV.

If you purchase OFC resale then in 2019 you could reserve floating view but not until the 8-month mark. You, of course, would then be set up to strike at the appropriate time (exactly at the 12-month mark) in 2019 for making your 2020 OFC reservation.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify: You cannot reserve Ocean View, unless you own Ocean View - your only options are Ocean Front, or Floating View.

A floating view reservation is a Staroption reservation that is made at 8-0 months before check-in, and it has an unassigned view.

The specific unit and view are assigned by the front desk at check-in.

During high season, you are most likely to get an Island View. In the south phase, this means a parking lot view.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Just to clarify: You cannot reserve Ocean View, unless you own Ocean View - your only options are Ocean Front, or Floating View.

A floating view reservation is a Staroption reservation that is made at 8-0 months before check-in, and it has an unassigned view.

The specific unit and view are assigned by the front desk at check-in.

During high season, you are most likely to get an Island View. In the south phase, this means a parking lot view.

Thanks. Going to change my post for future reference!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you want to stay in a WKORV OFC villa every year, it makes sense to buy one, because they rent for about $4,600.

Also, when you are the owner, you have better control over getting an early reservation - which will result in a higher floor and better view.

But, as posted above, you have to be organized and make your reservations in a timely manner. It's very doable - as long as you understand the reservation rules.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Just for info:

I just went thru the 'owner will book a week for you' with my OFD (easier than OFC). Let's just say that the owners were kind to do this....but were not sufficiently motivated/skilled/equipped to actually snag a reservation. Look, I'm not complaining....it was a generous favor for me (not in the contract). Just making a point; I wouldn't absolutely count on getting the reservation you desire if the booking is in the seller's hands. YMMV

Next.....once I had access to my unit/dashboard, I actually saw a full OFD week in June just sitting on the dashboard (for a day+) in August. So, weeks do cancel/rebook or just pop-up after the 12 month mark.....but I wouldn't count on it. If you're flexible......there are options.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The problem you might also have is that they will likely have a later timestamp so you may get a less desireable bottom floor unit with obstructed ocean view and less privacy.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The problem you might also have is that they will likely have a later timestamp so you may get a less desireable bottom floor unit with obstructed ocean view and less privacy.

Absolutely. But, with the first year ownership with access to booking late in the year.....you may not have a choice.
It comes down to: Use it, rent it, use the SO's.

Late in the year rentals....not so good
If you have kids....fall occupancy not an option.
Using the SO's.... will be worse than poor time stamp MTL.

But that's the breaks.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just be aware of how the game is played.

There’s lots of good information in the older threads. Just use the search tool at the top of the forum to search for additional information.

I’m not a Maui owner but here’s what I remember reading in the older threads...

South Oceanfront units
  • Limited number of oceanfront units - only 12 (OFC) and 24 (OFD) at WKORV
  • 2 Checkin dates during the Home resort period for oceanfront owners - Saturday/Sunday checkin day (no Friday checkin day)

Availability during the Home Resort Period and Room Assignments
  • A Waitlist option is available to Elite owners only (although there have been reports that this feature wasn’t automated with the cutover to the online reservation system)
  • When you try to book exactly at 12 months, availability will be impacted by
    • Fixed weeks owners
    • Multiple Week owners who book consecutive weeks in one call at 12 months.
    • Owners who book both side (studio and one bedroom) for consecutive weeks in one call at 12 months.
  • Your room assignment will be impacted by
    • Fixed week/ Fixed units owners
    • Your date & timestamp (you may be behind those who were able to make back to back consecutive bookings earlier than 12 months)
  • If you book outside the home resort period (using StarOptions at 8 months or less).
    • Your view is no longer guaranteed
    • Elite owners will have first priority in room assignments during this period.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Just be aware of how the game is played.

There’s lots of good information in the older threads. Just use the search tool at the top of the forum to search for additional information.

I’m not a Maui owner but here’s what I remember reading in the older threads...

South Oceanfront units
  • Limited number of oceanfront units - only 12 (OFC) and 24 (OFD) at WKORV
  • 2 Checkin dates during the Home resort period for oceanfront owners - Saturday/Sunday checkin day (no Friday checkin day)

Availability during the Home Resort Period and Room Assignments
  • A Waitlist option is available to Elite owners only (although there have been reports that this feature wasn’t automated with the cutover to the online reservation system)
  • When you try to book exactly at 12 months, availability will be impacted by
    • Fixed weeks owners
    • Owners who book both side (studio and one bedroom) for consecutive weeks in one call at 12 months.
  • Your room assignment will be impacted by
    • Fixed week/ Fixed units owners
    • Your date & timestamp (you may be behind those who were able to make back to back consecutive bookings earlier than 12 months)
  • If you book outside the home resort period (using StarOptions at 8 months or less).
    • Your view is no longer guaranteed
    • Elite owners will have first priority in room assignments during this period.

I hope I haven't been missing an opportunity for many years but are either of the below allowed? I thought even multiple week owners could only book for 7 days at 12 months, not 14 days. Therefore, the below would need to be accomplished in two reservations a week apart.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I hope I haven't been missing an opportunity for many years but are either of the below allowed? I thought even multiple week owners could only book for 7 days at 12 months, not 14 days. Therefore, the below would need to be accomplished in two reservations a week apart.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-made-you-buy-starwood.138135/page-2

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Thanks for the info......

Will this still work if you've already made the primary reservation at midnight??
I would think that if you waiting until 9am to call, the primary reservation (1st week or unit to be locked-off) would we gone....or your timestamp would be poor. Can you just make the ressie at midnight and have it split at 9am.....or book the consecutive weeks at 9am?

This was the first I've heard this mentioned in light of the new online system.....

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the info......

Will this still work if you've already made the primary reservation at midnight??
I would think that if you waiting until 9am to call, the primary reservation (1st week or unit to be locked-off) would we gone....or your timestamp would be poor. Can you just make the ressie at midnight and have it split at 9am.....or book the consecutive weeks at 9am?

This was the first I've heard this mentioned in light of the new online system.....

Sorry, I have no idea.
I’m assuming the first booking would be made at midnight and the remaining weeks booked at 9am.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sorry, I have no idea.
I’m assuming the first booking would be made at midnight and the remaining weeks booked at 9am.

That would make more sense.....I'll call Vistana and ask.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
That would make more sense.....I'll call Vistana and ask.

Please update after you call Vistana. I’ve certainly not been able to do this online. I’ve even had back-to-back reservations before and asked them to be linked and I was told they would make a note of it but were unable to make it one reservation for 14 days therefore leaving me with two 7-day home resort reservations with the risk of having to change villas after the first seven days.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Please update after you call Vistana. I’ve certainly not been able to do this online. I’ve even had back-to-back reservations before and asked them to be linked and I was told they would make a note of it but were unable to make it one reservation for 14 days therefore leaving me with two 7-day home resort reservations with the risk of having to change villas after the first seven days.

First attempt:

NO, you can only book 12 mos out.
If you call back 7 days later....the advisor will attempt to book the studio for you if available (you do not have to cancel first).

I'll try this pm and see what the second answer is.
Was told NO multiple weeks booking consecutive.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
First attempt:

If you call back 7 days later....the advisor will attempt to book the studio for you if available (you do not have to cancel first).

I would think if this was possible that it would be touted by salespeople to encourage the purchase of an additional week(s) at the same property. Of all the stories I've heard, I've never heard this from the sales team.

If anyone has been able to do this recently, please chime in!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
First attempt:

Perhaps try asking for Owner Resolution Services on your next call.
I only make StarOption and II Reservations with my SVV so I have no first hand experience with home resort bookings. I can only tell you what I’ve read on TUG ;)

In the meanwhile, I did some searching on TUG to see if I could find anything else.
I was actually looking for a thread with owners upset and ranting about losing their ability to request consecutive reservations in advance but I didn’t find one. If it doesn’t work today, maybe that’s why they never fixed it to book before midnight (not enough complaints and/or not a widely known feature) :shrug:.

Last edited: