• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for suggestions: Vistana/Maui vs Marriott/Aruba

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Tough having such great choices :)
Let me preface it by saying we love Aruba. I really like Maui too, and if I lived on the West coast, that might be my preference. Can't beat the lush tropical beauty. Hawaii is gorgeous, and there's so much to love. That said, the reasons why Aruba is our go-to destination are:unlike some of the other Caribbean islands, we feel safe there, and free to wander about. Lots of great restaurants (and typically more to our taste than those in Hawaii, but of course that's personal preference. It's below the hurricane belt, so rarely have bad weather. In 20 plus visits we had 2 hours one afternoon where it rained and impacted our day. All other rains we've had were either overnight or those typical 10 minute cloud bursts. Our last trip to Maui it rained most of the day for 6 out of 7 days; nevertheless, we had a great time, but there was a day we gave up sitting outside because it was just too chilly to lay by the pool in a bathing suit, even with a cover-up and towel over. There's always a breeze in Aruba, so it never feels HOT, even during the summer months, whereas July in Maui will feel uncomfortably hot at times. From NY area it's an easy 4 1/4 hour flight, and either the same time zone or 1 hour difference, depending on the year. So there's never a hassle with jet lag, nor the exhaustion that always accompanies a long flight with connections. While there is the hassle of customs, at least you clear US customs while in Aruba, so the flight home is easy; the 3 hour check-in due to multiple security screenings will be streamlined by 2020, with a single security check in the works as the Aruba airport is revamped.
Everyone has their own preferences, and I'd really suggest planning a visit before buying.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Actually flight costs are about the same (amazing, I know). I've been to WKORV several times now and am actually quite content with the resort view since we don't spend a LOT of time in the room. paying the extra for a view we won't look at kinda seems silly to us. don't get me wrong, I would love it, but is not necessary. Since I am already at Nanea and spend our rare two person trips at the resort and spa, I was tossing around the idea of something else. but would I love Aruba as much as Maui? the people and the culture of Hawaii add a lot to the trip, not just the beach. Since the tuggers have travelled a lot, I thought that some of their opinions and experiences could help me. REALLY leaning towards WKORV, but the caribbean is nice too. the time change is MUCH more drastic heading east, which is a consideration as well. plus flight times.

There is another thread on Maui vs Aruba. It seems like the Maui people are die hard about loving Maui.

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/aruba-v-maui-comparison.282899/

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Ok, so if I stick with WKORV, I'll get a view to make the maintenance fees worth it, I get that. Thank you.

Is there ANY reason to head east with Marriott? or look at the Ka'anapali Marriotts? Or did I start with the best when I bought Westin? I truly enjoy WKORV and Nanea, plus the resort and spa on occasion. trying to go to Maui twice per year and doing well so far. Just wondering if there was something better or comparable.

Thank you again!

I think the WKOVR-N ocean front is a decent value, especially if you purchase an EOY. The purchase price is $10,000 to $12,000 and the MFs are approx $2700 (give or take). It comes with 176K SOs. I am also thinking that once MVC intgrates Vistana into its system, that Hawaii Vistana owners will get grandfathered into MVC, thereby making you a DPs owner. Of course, I have not inside knowledge about what MVC might do but Hawaii is in such high demand that I assume they will want all the Hawaii Westin owners enrolling in MVC. I am buying a second WKOVR-N OF 2 br unit to use for us personally but I am also hoping MVC will give Hawaii owners a better deal to integrate our units. I am also a MVC Presidential Owner so the outcome to me does not really matter.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella