• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for purchasing advice

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been pretty actively searching for the best fit in a timeshare purchase for my family and I think I’ve found one that will fit our needs, but I need a little support from you experts.

The timeshare has the number of points within the Wyndham club plus network and a maintenance fee I’m comfortable paying, but the points are not located at a “preferred home resort”.

In all of my searching, I think I’ve realized the preferred home resort becomes a null point at 10 months prior to the date of your planned vacation. Can anyone verify my thinking?

So if I purchase this timeshare, I will be able to use my points at any Wyndham Club Plus location with availability as long as I wait until 10 months from my vacation dates, correct?

Thanks for the guidance.

Richardsdeals

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2 Wyndham contracts. We have never stayed at our home resorts and have not had a problem booking 10 months out at other resorts. The key is to plan ahead and book as soon as the 10 month window opens up. If you wait, you will miss out. It really just depends on where you are wanting to stay. The hardest unit to get that we stayed in was a 4 bdrm presidential at Wyndham Ocean Blvd in North Myrtle Beach the week of Thanksgiving. I was able to book it as soon as the 10 month window was open. Plan ahead and you should be okay. Others can speak to resorts that may be harder to book without the 13 month option.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2 Wyndham contracts. We have never stayed at our home resorts and have not had a problem booking 10 months out at other resorts. The key is to plan ahead and book as soon as the 10 month window opens up. If you wait, you will miss out. It really just depends on where you are wanting to stay. The hardest unit to get that we stayed in was a 4 bdrm presidential at Wyndham Ocean Blvd in North Myrtle Beach the week of Thanksgiving. I was able to book it as soon as the 10 month window was open. Plan ahead and you should be okay. Others can speak to resorts that may be harder to book without the 13 month option.

Thank you for the quick response. Initially to get my feet wet in the timeshare world, I’ll probably stick closer to home and book in Wisconsin Dells and take what I can get.

Can you answer this: if I’m looking to stay June 1st, I would be able to book (if available) on August 1st of the previous year?

Also, is the booking all done online? Or do you have to call to reserve?

Lastly, I’ve seen some discussion on housekeeping credits...any insight on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Thank you for the quick response. Initially to get my feet wet in the timeshare world, I’ll probably stick closer to home and book in Wisconsin Dells and take what I can get.

Can you answer this: if I’m looking to stay June 1st, I would be able to book (if available) on August 1st of the previous year?
Yes

Also, is the booking all done online? Or do you have to call to reserve?
Either...I prefer online. I call if I want more info about the resort, like maybe which phase/section a reservation I'm booking is located in.

Lastly, I’ve seen some discussion on housekeeping credits...any insight on that?
You get one housekeeping credit for each 1000 points. If you book lots of short reservations you may run out and have to purchase more.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Initially to get my feet wet in the timeshare world, I’ll probably stick closer to home and book in Wisconsin Dells and take what I can get.
I know you say “take what I can get”. But if you want summer weekends at Glacier Canyon you may very well need to own there or buy CWA in order to make ARP reservations

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Back in the day - one of the main tenets on TUG was "buy where you want to vacation every year/other year". The explosion of points systems has eroded that a little, but it is still generally true - even for Wyndham. If you want to go to a popular resort frequently during peak season, then you want to buy something that will allow you to book there at 13 months out. For some resorts this is less true, but the Dells is not one of them.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay

Well actually in the recent past I posted a concise well written (if I do say so myself!) brief explanation of the housekeeping credits system and how it could be a problem. I have copied that information here:

Wyndham requires you to have Housekeeping Credits for every stay. 1 night up to 7 nights uses 63
Credits in a 1 bedroom. A studio only uses 28, but not all resorts have them.

Wyndham gives you 1 Credit for every 1000 points you own, so if you had a small
contract, for example 154,000 points, you would start your use year with 154 HC's.
After your second stay in a 1 bedroom you would need to start buying additional
credits at 2.25 apiece for any additional 1 bedroom stay. So after your 3rd stay, each additional stay
in a 1 bedroom would cost $141.75 in HC's. Plus the normal $19 transaction fee for each
additional reservation.

This example uses a 1 bedroom. As I said earlier, studios need less.
By my math, 154 HC's would be enough for 5.5 stays in a studio.

Please note; a 1 night stay and a 7 night stay require the same amount
of housekeeping credits. And that's the rub.

The Housekeeping Credit system can really work against using a Wyndham ownership
for multiple stays of less than a full week.

The above does not apply to VIP owners. All VIP levels have unlimited Housekeeping credits.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well actually in the recent past I posted a concise well written (if I do say so myself!) brief explanation of the housekeeping credits system and how it could be a problem. I have copied that information here:

Wyndham requires you to have Housekeeping Credits for every stay. 1 night up to 7 nights uses 63
Credits in a 1 bedroom. A studio only uses 28, but not all resorts have them.

Wyndham gives you 1 Credit for every 1000 points you own, so if you had a small
contract, for example 154,000 points, you would start your use year with 154 HC's.
After your second stay in a 1 bedroom you would need to start buying additional
credits at 2.25 apiece for any additional 1 bedroom stay. So after your 3rd stay, each additional stay
in a 1 bedroom would cost $141.75 in HC's. Plus the normal $19 transaction fee for each
additional reservation.

This example uses a 1 bedroom. As I said earlier, studios need less.
By my math, 154 HC's would be enough for 5.5 stays in a studio.

Please note; a 1 night stay and a 7 night stay require the same amount
of housekeeping credits. And that's the rub.

The Housekeeping Credit system can really work against using a Wyndham ownership
for multiple stays of less than a full week.

The above does not apply to VIP owners. All VIP levels have unlimited Housekeeping credits.

This is helpful! Thank you so much for reposting for me to learn!

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the day - one of the main tenets on TUG was "buy where you want to vacation every year/other year". The explosion of points systems has eroded that a little, but it is still generally true - even for Wyndham. If you want to go to a popular resort frequently during peak season, then you want to buy something that will allow you to book there at 13 months out. For some resorts this is less true, but the Dells is not one of them.

Thank you, all good info to consider.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you say “take what I can get”. But if you want summer weekends at Glacier Canyon you may very well need to own there or buy CWA in order to make ARP reservations

Thank you for your reply. I was able to look at the availability in the Dells during the summer and there is none :) So this is helpful information to have before making a decision.