• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Limited options with RCI Account

kevreh

Reaction score
One of the reasons I bought into HGVC is that my options would be expanded by being able to access RCI properties. However, whenever I do a search via the HGV site ('Club Membership > RCI Account') my options are very limited. The only resorts that come up are the lower end ones and there are few. For example, if I do a search for orlando, nothing comes up. There should be a number of options there.

What am I missing?

mtm65

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I bought into HGVC is that my options would be expanded by being able to access RCI properties. However, whenever I do a search via the HGV site ('Club Membership > RCI Account') my options are very limited. The only resorts that come up are the lower end ones and there are few. For example, if I do a search for orlando, nothing comes up. There should be a number of options there.

What am I missing?

You don't give us all the necessary information but when I log into RCI through HGVC and choose "Exchange Vacations" I see 18 resorts with 2,256 units available.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2

What am I missing?
As resorts only become available in RCI when the owner deposits them or a large company like Hilton bulk deposits you need to do an ongoing search to really find anything good.

kevreh

Reaction score
Ok, I removed the date range and a bunch of resorts came up for Orlando area. However, when I pick one the options are very limited (eg. 1 week available until end of year). This is the case with multiple resorts I looked into. I guess that's what Mosescan was saying.

mtm65

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I removed the date range and a bunch of resorts came up for Orlando area. However, when I pick one the options are very limited (eg. 1 week available until end of year). This is the case with multiple resorts I looked into. I guess that's what Mosescan was saying.

Correct, you are seeing the "leftovers" after any ongoing searches. We've used RCI 6 times in the 4 years we have owned our HGVC. All of the 6 have been through ongoing searches.

kevreh

Reaction score
What is an "ongoing search"? Is there a way to do that or do you just mean checking back frequently if anything came on the market?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
In addition to the stuff that shows up online only being the "leftovers" that were not snagged by ongoing, automatic searches, you will find that, to usually get anything desirable, planning well in advance is necessary with RCI (or almost any timeshare). You noted little was available for the rest of 2018. That's because most of the desirable 2018 weeks were booked well back into 2017. With our Marriott and HGVC timeshares, we're booking stuff for early 2019 now, and have had an ongoing search in place for a fall 2019 trip since fall 2017 (using the other exchange company, Interval International, with one of our Marriott weeks).

Also note that the vast, vast majority of the resorts in RCI will not be as nice as HGVC. In RCI, HGVC and the Disney Vacation Club are basically the cream of the crop. There are other nice resorts, but those are dwarfed in numbers by the marginal ones. Even the RCI "Gold Crown" designation is no guarantee of quality in line with HGVC. I've stayed at a couple Gold Crown RCI properties that were nowhere near HGVC quality. Based on that, I would hate to see what some of the non-rated properties in RCI are like.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the stuff that shows up online only being the "leftovers" that were not snagged by ongoing, automatic searches, you will find that, to usually get anything desirable, planning well in advance is necessary with RCI (or almost any timeshare). You noted little was available for the rest of 2018. That's because most of the desirable 2018 weeks were booked well back into 2017. With our Marriott and HGVC timeshares, we're booking stuff for early 2019 now, and have had an ongoing search in place for a fall 2019 trip since fall 2017 (using the other exchange company, Interval International, with one of our Marriott weeks).

Well said JIMinNC!

I have found a few gems but it is hard. My good trips have come from forking up the fee upfront and doing an online search. You can change the search, and if you never get a hit you can cancel and get your $ back.

It is not unsual to start a search and have it hit a year in advance. So this is all about planning....

You also need to research on Tripadvisor, etc. For example, we booked SLB even though the RCI pics did not look good. They sometimes have old pics.

Beacon888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, HGVC BAYCLUB
This Sightings Boards list a whole bunch of dates available HGVC Big Island. I do a quick search with RCI and don't see anything. It's been confirmed its a HGVC Bulk Deposit and dates are still there. Do I have to deposit my week into RCI to see them?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It's been confirmed its a HGVC Bulk Deposit and dates are still there. Do I have to deposit my week into RCI to see them?

If you are using a HGVC account to book a HGVC resort...
(a) You are limited to the 9-month club window, as if a club-booking.
2. You can't deposit a HGVC TS - it's under HGVC inventory control.

OTOH, if you are using an independent RCI account, booking is under RCI's purview.
Some HGVC resorts restrict check-ins to weeks while others allow daily check-ins.

Last edited: