TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Liability Insurance included in car rental

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by george12, Feb 11, 2018.

1. george12

george12 Guest

Hello, I booked a Full Size rental car with Budget Cancun for 10 days, $75 and opted not to purchase the insurance online. (I know, crazy low price) In the Important info section, it specifically states that Third Party Liability insurance in the amount of 750,000 Mexican Pesos($40,000 USD) is already included with the rental. I rented from Budget before with this stipulation and they still insisted I needed additional liability insurance up to 4 million pesos. However, I believe the total rental still cost me about $200 fro 10 days. I was able to negotiate the price and he lowered the price with the insurance. Has anyone else encountered this?

2. Carta

Carta TUG Member

Check with your auto insurance....I have Allstate and they cover rentals....I guess it depends on ur coverage and company...
    FYI...I never rent in Cancun...Too many war stories

3. DRIless

DRIless Guest

YMMV but most policies only cover rental in the USA.

4. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Check your credit card(s). Some cover first dollar loss, some just back up your own car insurance, some don’t cover anything.

Cheers

5. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Yes, I have had this happen at Budget rental car in Puerto Vallarta a couple of times. The staff claimed I needed to purchase the supplemental liability until I told them we will call the corporate office at which time the manager came over and sent us on our way for the agreed price and conditions.

The only two car rental companies that really haven't tried to upsell me is Avis and Alamo. Both of these companies used low mile cars in excellent condition. Hertz has decent cars but did try the upsell dealio.

The cars I rented from Budget were high mileage and obviously very used.

Rental car agencies in Mexico are required by Mexican law to provide 3rd party liability. Most of the rental companies include a minimal liability coverage in their rate and offer a product called supplemental liability insurance that increases the liability coverage. Some companies, like Alamo, require that the liability insurance is purchased because they are using the higher liability coverage on their cars.

In your case, I think they scammed you into buying the supplemental liability insurance.

I still use the American Express enhanced rental car insurance for the collision damage coverage and decline all other coverage. This year in Puerto Vallarta I used Avis and had no problems renting a very nice low millage mid sized car for the agreed upon price and conditions.

Bill

6. Carta

Carta TUG Member

I was covered in Grand Cayman...But like u say "most policies" only cover in US

7. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

The laws vary in different parts of the world. In Spain, I understand that personal liability insurance is included in the rental price. I think this holds in other part of Europe as well. Comments, anyone?

8. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    My regular car insurance covers rental cars in the USA and Canada. I have whatever Flo has been selling.

Bill

9. george12

george12 Guest

Ok. Thanks for your helpful responses. I booked with Budget, Alamo and Dollar and will decide on which one when I'm there.

10. ilene13

ilene13 TUG Member

Our platinum AMEX card covers all of the car insurance but not 3rd person liability. We always rent from Hertz and we add the 3rd person liability— it adds $11 a day.