• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Least Expensive Way to Book a 1or 2 Bed unit for 3 days in Maui?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I got a great deal on airfare a few days ago and now I need to find a deal on a place to stay for the last 3 days on Maui. It's 2 adults and my kids, 25, 21, and 17.

So I'm thinking I just can't book a room at a hotel but I keep thinking there has to be a site that gives deals for condo's for a few days of rental?

Does anyone have any idea's

thanks so much

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would suggest giving dates needed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Rental "Want Ads" are not permitted in the discussion forums, so asking people to post their dates, is not a good idea. You can always contact them privately if you wish.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I got a great deal on airfare a few days ago and now I need to find a deal on a place to stay for the last 3 days on Maui. It's 2 adults and my kids, 25, 21, and 17.

So I'm thinking I just can't book a room at a hotel but I keep thinking there has to be a site that gives deals for condo's for a few days of rental?

Does anyone have any idea's

thanks so much

I don't think there are any special websites for short stays - I'd try all the usual rental websites. I don't think you are going to get a discount for a short stay, because most owners prefer to do a full week. With the cost of cleaning, guest Certs., etc., short stays are often not cost-effective for the owner.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think there are any special websites for short stays - I'd try all the usual rental websites. I don't think you are going to get a discount for a short stay, because most owners prefer to do a full week. With the cost of cleaning, guest Certs., etc., short stays are often not cost-effective for the owner.

Thanks Denise, that is the info I was looking for....

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would look at www.vrbo.com or their parent company www.HomeAway.com. I've used them to stay in a couple of places on the Big Island and several apartments in Europe, and I've had good experiences. Just make sure the property you select has plenty of positive reviews.

Another possibility is www.airbnb.com. I've found they have more properties where the owner lives there and either leaves for your stay, or you get a room in their house. That's not really for me, but some people really enjoy the experience.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at travelzoo.com. There is a condo at Kihei 1 or 2 bedroom less than $200 a night. I.was looking for deal for a coworker who is attending a wedding in wailea in August

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would look at www.vrbo.com or their parent company www.HomeAway.com. I've used them to stay in a couple of places on the Big Island and several apartments in Europe, and I've had good experiences. Just make sure the property you select has plenty of positive reviews.

Another possibility is www.airbnb.com. I've found they have more properties where the owner lives there and either leaves for your stay, or you get a room in their house. That's not really for me, but some people really enjoy the experience.

Hi,

A friend had told me about a really bad experience she had with vrbo.com, in that when she showed up for her paid rental for a week in Hawaii that she had multiple issues... so I was nervous to try them. I'm going to look at the other places.... I really appreciate your help.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Look at travelzoo.com. There is a condo at Kihei 1 or 2 bedroom less than $200 a night. I.was looking for deal for a coworker who is attending a wedding in wailea in August

Lilly, thanks, I always forget about travelzoo...

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what a "deal" is to you, but Marriott Destinations Club members can book short stays (I just tacked on a few days at MOC to one of my reservations at another resort). You might try posting a want ad in the Marketplace, or PM some Marriott owners who rent out their points.

DRI members can also book short stays at the resort on the north end of Ka'anapali. Members with a lot of points get a discounted rate on reservations.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If I had 3 orphan days, I'd explore the other side of Maui and drive the road to Hana and then spend two nights there. It is a completely different experience than the touristy side of Maui.

The upside is that most lodging on that side of the island accepts 2-3 night rentals.

Please don't discount VRBO. I've booked nearly a dozen rentals with them (including Hawaii) and have had nothing but excellent experiences with them. The key is to look for 5-star rated places with more than a dozen recent reviews. I also will not book with anyone who doesn't respond to my inquiry within 24 hours. The last thing I want is an unresponsive landlord should an issue arise. I also always pay via my credit card so that I get consumer protection, and now that they are offering it, I also book VRBO's consumer protection policy.

Here are some possibilities that seem reasonably priced IMO.

https://www.vrbo.com/652591
https://www.vrbo.com/185587

Good luck!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lisa,

I truly appreciate your help in locating some good options and you offered up some great suggestions in that I should look for 5-star rated places and a responsive owner....thank you

If I had 3 orphan days, I'd explore the other side of Maui and drive the road to Hana and then spend two nights there. It is a completely different experience than the touristy side of Maui.

The upside is that most lodging on that side of the island accepts 2-3 night rentals.

Please don't discount VRBO. I've booked nearly a dozen rentals with them (including Hawaii) and have had nothing but excellent experiences with them. The key is to look for 5-star rated places with more than a dozen recent reviews. I also will not book with anyone who doesn't respond to my inquiry within 24 hours. The last thing I want is an unresponsive landlord should an issue arise. I also always pay via my credit card so that I get consumer protection, and now that they are offering it, I also book VRBO's consumer protection policy.

Good luck!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lisa, Thank you for the help... I was able to find a 2/2 condo near the marina for $200 a night and this owner had over 50+, 5 star reviews and as soon as I inquired directly to his ad, he called me personally to answer all of my questions and talked me through the steps of securing my dates thru the VRBO site.

His condo has top of the line everything and should be a very enjoyable stay for our last 3 days in Maui.

thank you again for the help

Good luck!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Lisa, Thank you for the help... I was able to find a 2/2 condo near the marina for $200 a night and this owner had over 50+, 5 star reviews and as soon as I inquired directly to his ad, he called me personally to answer all of my questions and talked me through the steps of securing my dates thru the VRBO site.

Happy to help. I'm sure you'll enjoy a change of scenery!

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score

Someone has already reported a bad experience, but I wanted to second the airbnb option, which is more likely to offer short-term stays then vrbo.
We needed a single night several years ago, and I picked a fully-furnished one bedroom in Lahaina with glowing reviews for the owner and her apartments. Although there was a 2- or 3-night minimum, I contacted the owner and asked about the single night. She agreed, and the apartment was lovely, right on the beach, and completely equipped with beach chairs, toys, umbrella etc.! Not owner -occupied; she lived elsewhere in the area. Couldn't have worked out better! Glad Sugarcubesea found a good arrangement.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Someone has already reported a bad experience, but I wanted to second the airbnb option, which is more likely to offer short-term stays then vrbo.
We needed a single night several years ago, and I picked a fully-furnished one bedroom in Lahaina with glowing reviews for the owner and her apartments. Although there was a 2- or 3-night minimum, I contacted the owner and asked about the single night. She agreed, and the apartment was lovely, right on the beach, and completely equipped with beach chairs, toys, umbrella etc.! Not owner -occupied; she lived elsewhere in the area. Couldn't have worked out better! Glad Sugarcubesea found a good arrangement.

Thank you, I'm excited as the unit I'm renting has beach chairs, umbrella's, toys, bogie boards, cooler and beach towels.