• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Leading Vacations Club--Need Opinions

Vanvaq

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Leading Vacation Club (Cancellation in progress)
I'd like to know what you all think. I got sucked into a 1.5 hr presentation, that included breakfast, so I thought how bad can it be--I'll just eat slowly and just ask for my freebie at the end. Everyone was so nice and chatty, and then the price dropped dramatically, we shook some guys hand and drinks appeared...

In the end this is what we walked away with:

10 years
20 weeks (unlimited use at 2 home resorts)
$5, 900 total price
--30% up front (roughly $2,300), and financed the rest (~$4,900)

We get access to their 2 resorts in Playa del Carmen (The Reef Coco Beach, and The Reef Playacar) and still have to pay the all-inclusive fee of $86 per person/per night (which increases 5% every year). VIP rooms/beach/pool area, top shelf drinks, and member only restaurants.

They also included RCI free for 3 years, but I'm reading up on it now and it doesn't sound like that great of a deal. I'm guessing my entire 20 weeks will be best spent in one of their 2 resorts in Playa, which was not what we wanted. We really thought we would be able to exchange them and still come out saving. Now in a clearer mind, I'm realizing this whole thing isn't THAT amazing. We wouldn't mind visiting Playa del Carmen once a year and maybe even with friends, get 2 rooms, 1 week each and bam, we've used 2 weeks. But then our 3rd that year I'd like to do something local through RCI or maybe DR over RCI...But I'm reading that RCI is super expensive after its all said and done :(

I've made contact, and gotten an official response about cancelling. I am hoping they accepted it within the 5 day cancellation window that allows me to get my deposit back (30% of the total). I have a call set with their legal person tomorrow to discuss the process further, but I was wondering what you all thought of the package in general, just IN CASE they try to come back with "you cant have your deposit back" which would then really make it hard for me to leave.

Any/all opinions are welcome. This is a first for us, and I've been really upset at myself for falling for it. We should have know the whole exchange part was too good to be true.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
See my rely to your other thread (You really don't need to post twice) Rescind, RESCIND, RESCIND!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Dear Vanvaq ,
I believe they are required to fully refund . Your rescind needs to be mailed / couriered in a manner that
gets you a receipt - to prove you met the 5 day time .
I would do this even if the “legal person “signs off on paperwork .

I also would bet they used the tern “attorney “ IN Mexico ( as well as Canada & the UK etc ) This term
does not signify a law school graduate . It simply means someone who represents on behalf of another person or organization . ie this person is representing the organization that sold the contract .
His or her goal is to get you to keep it . Not everything said may be true .

Profeco is the Mexican Government authority that enforces the regulations . Use that name & mention you will be rescinding and sending Profeco copies of your paperwork .

There are “ stickies “at the top of the TUG Mexican that have lots of information .

Re : the actual deal - forgetting about $

1 ) Mexican resorts build for snowbird season ( Jan- April ) This is when they are close to 100% full.
They other 8 months it is VERY easy to get access without buying .
(IMO - This “ overbuilding “ works for Mexican TS developers , because they build & staff in pesos and collect most income in $ USD )

I live in Canada & so February is when we want to vacation in Mexico . My Vidanta / Mayan contract lets me book Feb 2019 - August 1 2018 ( six month ARP.) We paid 16 K for 25 weeks / 12 year’s ago . Some get one year advance booking ( ARP) and pay more .
My guess is your “ deal “ does not have anything like that , since you did not mention it .
You are there in June , if you want to go next June - use Expedia etc .

2) Mexican resorts love AI / all inclusive - since it keeps you a captive $$ audience
$ 89 - personally I would have to drink way too much - for me to see this as a good deal .
since it is $ 1246 for 2 people for a week.
Mexico is full of good restaurants , so why limit yourself to those at one resort .

FYI - The Royal Sands in Cancun has $59 per day AI and it is optional ( for owners ) and if you rent from owners . Bet you can rent a June week there easily / see TUG Marketplace .
If you take the AI , I think it can be a 3 day minimum ( not a required 7 days ) at the Royal Sands .
( I have never stayed there - A work friend & husband loved it )

RESIND NOW & do so quickly & properly .

You will then have lots of time in the future to read TUG & learn .

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
$2,300 + $4,900 = $7,200 not $5,900.
RESCIND! RESCIND!1

Vanvaq

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Leading Vacation Club (Cancellation in progress)
UPDATE!

After over a month of going back and forth over e-mail and phone with the representative I got my money back!!! The last e-mail I sent the rep was telling them I would be filing a complaint with PROFECO, I'd had enough of their "the accounting department is working on it" excuses. He was nice, and always responded, but I was done. He never responded to that e-mail, but the money appeared the next day, and they didn't even discount the amount for the free tour tickets we got, which they initially said they would deduct. I still waited till Aug. 1st t truly feel relieved, since thats the date the first automatic payment would have been withdrawn from my account, but nothing showed up! Thank you all so much for your advice! I'll just avoid those presentations from now on.