• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lakeshore Reserve

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Jack and I are finishing the WDW week with a single night at Lakeshore Reserve, after a week at Sabal Palms. This is a beautiful unit and the lazy river and small footprint are great, but I can't figure out what all the buzz is about this place? Honestly, we preferred Sabal Palms -- a bigger unit with easier walking to a superior pool infrastructure (Marriott World Center).

I'm glad we came, and I had a great time floating in the pool listening to the Padres lose to the Braves, but was expecting more of a Wow. It's still a terrific property, but I rated it as a 9 in my TUG review (which is still a great property), but reviews suggested a different experience.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
All,

Jack and I are finishing the WDW week with a single night at Lakeshore Reserve, after a week at Sabal Palms. This is a beautiful unit and the lazy river and small footprint are great, but I can't figure out what all the buzz is about this place? Honestly, we preferred Sabal Palms -- a bigger unit with easier walking to a superior pool infrastructure (Marriott World Center).

I'm glad we came, and I had a great time floating in the pool listening the Padres lose to the Braves, but was expecting more of a Wow. It's still a terrific property, but I rated it as a 9 in my TUG review (which is still a great property), but reviews suggested a different experience.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Best,

Greg
Never have been to Lakeshore but do understand about preferring Sabal Palms. I love that place, comes in right after staying on site at Disney. I even prefer Sabal Palms over the HGVC properties.

Katfan

Reaction score
We own a 3 bedroom townhouse in the best season - can’t remember if it is premiere plus or some sort of platinum. To really appreciate the location you need to stay longer and not worry so much about proximity to the Disney resorts. The ability to use the amenities at the JW and Ritz Carlton are fantastic perks. The quiet atmosphere is also a plus for many of us. We rarely stay there as we have had wonderful vacations electing points for our unit but love the ambiance. When retirement is a reality we see ourselves staying there more often in smaller units for extended stays.

Reactions: jme

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed 5 nights in 2012 and had a similar experience. It was a very solid stay, don’t get me wrong, but maybe it has been built up too much and is a victim of other mvci properties’ success? They’re all so nice, that perhaps we expect even more than is realistic for a resort. Hope to make it back for a second trip soon enough, perhaps experiencing a townhouse next time will give a different experience?

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

I'm glad we came, and I had a great time floating in the pool listening to the Padres lose to the Braves, but was expecting more of a Wow. It's still a terrific property, but I rated it as a 9 in my TUG review (which is still a great property), but reviews suggested a different experience.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Best,

Greg
We like the footprint of the campus it's on. Having the Ritz and JW there are a nice change of scenery and I like that it's away from the monstrosity of World Center.

Reactions: jme

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I have heard so much about lakeshore and always wanted to go. The desire of denial. Figured it must be superspecial.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Best,

Greg
We agree there are better options for us overall. For non DVC we prefer GV because of the amenities and location. LR is certainly more intimate and upscale but we actually prefer the larger and more active resorts. For the grandkids we like HL. The other Marriott that's hit or miss depending on one's preferences is Cypress Harbour, for some it's their go to and for some it's down the list. For us personally ratings would depend the group in attendance. LR would be second for an adult trip after GV but 4th with kids followed by the 3 Wold Village resorts. From an ownership standpoint the expanded Platinum season can be either good or bad, for us it'd be bad.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The large cushy chairs on the patio make Lakeshore Reserve worth it.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW - here's some of my Hawaii comparisons since this seems to be the gist of the discussion
Sabal - Lihue
Lake Shore - Waiohai
Lahaini and Napili Towers - Oceana Palms

I don't think the comparisons so far are good, especially if you're trying to set realistic expectations

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

Any thoughts? Thank you!
My thoughts are that I agree with you 100%. It seems to me that you and I have very similar reactions to most of the MVCI resorts.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
All,

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Best,

Greg

I think expectations have a lot to do with one's experience (and I haven't read any of the TUG reviews of LR). We have never been to any of the 'Palms' or World Center pool complex (but look forward to trying it out). We have been to Lakeshore a few different times and have always enjoyed our experience. We haven't tried a townhouse yet (but since we have always exchanged in thus far, I'm not surprised we haven't been able to snag one). Our pluses echo those of others. We like the smaller footprint. We (including kids) like the LR lazy river and dual water slides (plus access to the bigger and faster lazy river at the adjacent J.W.). We have found the activity schedule to be on par with our home resort (Grande Vista) with plenty to do. We had a memorable July 4th at the adjacent J.W. when we took a picnic blanket to stretch out on the lawn and watch as the J.W. put on their own fireworks display (and it was great with the only 'traffic' being the other guests walking back to LR with us). However, that doesn't mean LR is our 'end all'.

That's one of our favorite things about Marriott resorts. They are all different, which keeps us from having a single favorite. We have liked every property for usually different reasons/aspects. We enjoyed Harbour Lake when the kids were younger. We love Cypress Harbour (with its water taxi ... a highlight). Our kids (along with us) stayed extremely engaged at Cypress Harbour with minigolf, pickleball, remote control car racing, fishing, pedal carriages, and all the other activities offered there. We are South Carolina resort regulars with multiple stays - Monarch, Barony Beach, Grande Ocean, SurfWatch, and OceanWatch. All are beach resorts, yet very different (to us) in their personalities.

I really appreciate the 'not' one-size fits all approach of Marriott's resorts. I want consistent quality standards, but would be disappointed with a cookie-cutter experience if everywhere I went the facilities were the same, the activities were the same, the furnishings were the same. If I wanted that, I might as well go somewhere they leave the light on for me...

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can walk to the JW and Ritz and use those properties as well. You can eat at any of the restaurants and charge to the room. Overall Grande Lakes is superior to WC due to JW and Ritz. Better golf course and better restaurants. The pools and slide at WC can't be beat, but for a pure lazy river JW tops Lakeshore by far. If you were picking one pool area then it is WC hands down, but for a smaller relaxing area, especially with small kids, Lakeshore.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The lakeshore river is heated while the jw one is not. No problem like right now in the summer, but when we go in Oct, I much prefer the lakeshore lazy river.

Also during holidays one cannot use the facilities at the jw and Ritz properties.
You can walk to the JW and Ritz and use those properties as well. You can eat at any of the restaurants and charge to the room. Overall Grande Lakes is superior to WC due to JW and Ritz. Better golf course and better restaurants. The pools and slide at WC can't be beat, but for a pure lazy river JW tops Lakeshore by far. If you were picking one pool area then it is WC hands down, but for a smaller relaxing area, especially with small kids, Lakeshore.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lakeshore river is heated while the jw one is not. No problem like right now in the summer, but when we go in Oct, I much prefer the lakeshore lazy river.

Also during holidays one cannot use the facilities at the jw and Ritz properties.

The JW Pool/LR is definitely heated. I am wondering if the heat wasn't working when you visited.

You do need wrist bands on holidays and none of the 3 properties can cross over to each other. You can still visit the properties and restaurants but not the pool areas.

Technically anyone can use the Ritz and JW pools on non-holidays even if they are not staying at the three properties. You just have to park. Lakeshore is locked out to guests only but not the other two.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Maybe the heater was broken. The few times we went to the jw lazy river it was cold. In the summer it was fine but in October it was cold and we got out. It was definitely cold and the lakeshore one was nice and heated.

Did not know you could crash the pool at jw! Not like I would ever go to pool without staying onsite. Much better options for water park around Orlando. But as a local I can see the draw.

Well this time we are using hgvc and dvc si will check out jw lazy river in october.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The JW Pool/LR is definitely heated. I am wondering if the heat wasn't working when you visited.

You do need wrist bands on holidays and none of the 3 properties can cross over to each other. You can still visit the properties and restaurants but not the pool areas.

Technically anyone can use the Ritz and JW pools on non-holidays even if they are not staying at the three properties. You just have to park. Lakeshore is locked out to guests only but not the other two.
Don't they charge for parking at the other two properties?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't they charge for parking at the other two properties?

They do charge and that is the catch, but there is a small area with a few spots that are free. It’s where the zip line used to be by the tennis courts.

Charging for parking is probably one of the reasons they do not lock out the pool areas for key cards except on holidays. I think the WC is the same. The Gaylord however does lock theirs out for key card guests only.

I’ve never used any of the properties without staying or checking in to Lakeshore for day use but I couldn’t help but notice that anyone can park and use the property. Conventions, weddings, and other events always seem to naturally bring guests that are not staying at the hotel.