• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lakeshore - property sold

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Business Journal is reporting the Grande Lakes property in Orlando containing both the JW Marriott and the Ritz has been sold. The vacation club property (Lakeshore) obviously was not sold.

The new owner of the hotels is promising renovations and improvements.

The article doesn't mention any impact on Lakeshore Reserve. I would imagine, just like other locations where a hotel is located next to a timeshare, the owner would continue to allow some access.

If anyone happens to be on a "presentation" in Orlando over the next few months, maybe you could ask the question about long term access and privilege agreements?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Took a presentation this past week and their was no mention or comment confirming the above when the sales agent was asked. Can you provide more information?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My eyeballs must be hooked up backwards. Blackstone bought the place for $1.3 Bil. Put in $53 mil. in improvements. Then sold it for $900 Mil. 4 years later. No wonder hedge funds have been lagging the market. :rolleyes:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Perhaps just the underlying owner, without changes to Marriott/Ritz management. As such, likely small unnoticeable changes from the end consumer perspective near term?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We'll be there in April - if we don't hear anything I'll be sure to ask.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why did Blackstone sell it for a loss? That is the question?

Was there a tax advantage to this move?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Blackstone's model is to buy a distressed or undervalued property, turn it around financially and sell it. They aren't in the market to take losses. That doesn't mean that they didn't take advantage to offset gains. Commercial real estate is all about how much cash flow you get out of the asset....treated like a bond. It could be anything from how they financed the purchase to their forecast of future returns. 400 million is real money, but a blip for a company like Blackstone.

My only other comment is that it is somewhat in the middle of nowhere and not dissimilar to luxury properties closer to the main attractions and downtown. They may have originally developed it hoping that more stuff would show up.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
My only other comment is that it is somewhat in the middle of nowhere and not dissimilar to luxury properties closer to the main attractions and downtown. They may have originally developed it hoping that more stuff would show up.

Isn't it like 5 minutes from Sea World?

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, about six or seven minutes from SeaWorld (and Grande Vista) -- but in the opposite direction from the tourist areas. It's hardly in the middle of nowhere. There are plenty of shopping centers and restaurants nearby-- but they are geared to the locals not the tourists.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
My eyeballs must be hooked up backwards. Blackstone bought the place for $1.3 Bil. Put in $53 mil. in improvements. Then sold it for $900 Mil. 4 years later. No wonder hedge funds have been lagging the market. :rolleyes:

There was also an Arizona property included in the $1.3B purchase price. We don't know which AZ property or the value of it.

Blackstone Group, which bought the hotels along with a Scottsdale, Ariz., property for $1.3 billion in 2015, engineered the sale after pouring $53 million into renovations during the past four years.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's more like 10 minutes away and traffic get's crappy when you approach SeaWorld. It is near residential areas, but not much else. It was designed to keep you on the property and play golf. I drive past it on my way from Grande Ocean or Cypress Harbor to Costco. Not a lot going on.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. Yes, takes a long time from South Carolina to get to the Orlando Costco. Good catch.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
There was also an Arizona property included in the $1.3B purchase price. We don't know which AZ property or the value of it.

It was the JW in Phoenix. I think they’re making a profit on this transaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, were there any changes to the privileges for Lakeshore guests at these properties, or any other changes noticeable to guests? I’m guessing no, it was just the underlying ownership that changed.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We were just there a couple of weeks ago (Easter week). There were supposedly use restrictions on the day we got there (Sunday) but not during the week. We could use the Ritz spa lap pool from 5-9 AM, too. We went over there anyway on Easter Sunday as we had dinner at one of the JW restaurants and we ordered a couple of beers at one of the pool bars, charged it to our LR room and no one said anything. We just piggybacked into the pool area. Place was PACKED. Much less crowded the next few days when we wandered over.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are usually wrist band blackout days on holiday weekends at all three pool areas. It usually has to do with the JW having an event where only JW guests are allowed. Blocking access at one triggers a block at all three.

For whatever reason Lakeshore started requiring wrist bands even though access wasn't blocked at the other two. Not sure if there are still doing this but it happened the last two times I was there.

On the Grande Lakes purchase the group that is buying I doubt will hold it long term. Like Blackstone they buy for value and will probably resell at some point.

Last edited:

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! So it looks like little has changed, and certainly nothing significant.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
The Grande Lakes property has been bought and sold numerous times.

I’m hopeful that they will maintain it better than black stone. The JW pool are was really poorly maintained fir a few years.

None of this affects lakeshore.