• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Questions

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Cancun, and although the weather was less than great, we had a wonderful time.

Just got back Saturday.

We are going in June to Lagunamar. I would really appreciate any recommendations and tips from your trips.

I am looking for things like transfers, excursions, dining, groceries, or whatever you thought was good. Things to avoid is also appreciated.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We are going in June to Lagunamar. I would really appreciate any recommendations and tips from your trips.

I am looking for things like transfers, excursions, dining, groceries, or whatever you thought was good. Things to avoid is also appreciated.

USA Transfers from the airport to Lagunamar; arrange it in advance. The airport is crazy.

Soriana's for groceries; a ten minute walk from the resort. Bring shopping bags or a backpack. Tip the baggers.

Puerto Madero -- a Argentine steak house -- is excellent and inexpensive by our frame of reference.

Chicen Itza should not be missed. Go very early in the day to avoid crowds and heat.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I took a rolling cooler as my carry-on and used that when we walked to the grocery store. Worked great except for a couple spots where there wasn't a ramp on the sidewalk, then it was a little more work. Also worked great for strapping a case of water onto the top to lug back to the resort.

Coleman makes a rolling cooler that fits in carry-on specs.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took a rolling cooler as my carry-on and used that when we walked to the grocery store. Worked great except for a couple spots where there wasn't a ramp on the sidewalk, then it was a little more work. Also worked great for strapping a case of water onto the top to lug back to the resort.

Coleman makes a rolling cooler that fits in carry-on specs.

We been packing roller coolers on trips since our first trip to Harboside Resort and St John.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
USA Transfers from the airport to Lagunamar; arrange it in advance. The airport is crazy.

Soriana's for groceries; a ten minute walk from the resort. Bring shopping bags or a backpack. Tip the baggers.

Puerto Madero -- a Argentine steak house -- is excellent and inexpensive by our frame of reference.

Chicen Itza should not be missed. Go very early in the day to avoid crowds and heat.

The last times we went to Cancun, we went to Coba and thought it was fantastic.

I saw some reviews recommending snorkeling in the cenotes/caves.....anyone do that?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
The last times we went to Cancun, we went to Coba and thought it was fantastic.

I saw some reviews recommending snorkeling in the cenotes/caves.....anyone do that?

I've scuba'd a cenote. FYI water is very cold at the surface!! I took my 5mm wetsuit and was comfy. It's fresh water at the top of the cenote so you would see fresh water fish. We saw a few. Water is actually warmer once you descend through the halocline, but you wouldn't be doing that snorkeling.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
For what Soriano’s charges to deliver, it ain’t worth dragging your stuff down the sidewalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For what Soriano’s charges to deliver, it ain’t worth dragging your stuff down the sidewalk
I agree. We used the delivery service, though you also have to consider the tip to the delivery driver.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score

I second USA Transfers. We added the $30 one hour grocery store stop as well and everything was great. Arrange in advance. When you leave customs and go out the door, keep walking until you see their uniforms. Very easy and they give very thorough instructions to you as well.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you plan to grill then I suggest the $30 side trip to costco, where the cuts of meat are superior. Can use USA transfers or Canada transfers both excellent. Canada transfers can have beverages ready for you upon arrival

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you plan to grill then I suggest the $30 side trip to costco, where the cuts of meat are superior. Can use USA transfers or Canada transfers both excellent. Canada transfers can have beverages ready for you upon arrival

The USA drivers have coolers in the vehicle as well. $2.50 per beer.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
didn't know that. Do you preorder online also?

We didn't. When you get to the shuttle area, there are some stands selling stuff including beer. Our driver said he had some and just had a cooler in the front seat. It was there on the return trip as well.

Word of caution; the good value on food ends at the airport. We wanted something simple and saw Bubba Gump Shrimp and thought it would fit the bill. I just looked at the charge on my AmX and 1 fish and chips, 1 chicken fingers and fries, 1 beer and 1 Sprite with tip came to $66 USD. Wow!!:eek:

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't. When you get to the shuttle area, there are some stands selling stuff including beer. Our driver said he had some and just had a cooler in the front seat. It was there on the return trip as well.

Word of caution; the good value on food ends at the airport. We wanted something simple and saw Bubba Gump Shrimp and thought it would fit the bill. I just looked at the charge on my AmX and 1 fish and chips, 1 chicken fingers and fries, 1 beer and 1 Sprite with tip came to $66 USD. Wow!!:eek:
yes I had a $27 combo at Johnny rockets

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last November. Building 4, and had hot water issues as well. It was difficult to get a consistent temperature.

We received a call a few weeks before we were to arrive by a concierge wanting to make sure we had everything ready for our visit.

I let her know we would be arriving mid morning and if she could get us checked in early. Also requested an upper level unit.

She didn't make any promises but did say she would try.

We arrived prior to 11 and was in our room shortly after 1. 4th floor, not great but not terrible either. Not sure if she actually did anything for us as no one contacted us for the entire 2 weeks. Not a single phone call. We went to the concierge desk part way through the 2nd week to ask a question and when I couldn't tell them who our concierge was, they looked it up and said they didn't have anyone assigned to us, which caught them off guard.

We never got the email prior to arrival either, but I didn't know we would. We did however get one while we were there for the 2 week of our stay. Somehow we fell through the cracks, which was perfectly fine with us.

Going back again this fall.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
This thread has been helpful. My wife and I are going in April for four nights, our first time to Cancun.

Question regarding Puerto Madero, google maps says its about a 25 minute walk. Is that true? If so, is it safe to walk? Not sure we'd feel comfortable taking the bus or a taxi.

Also, other than Taco & Tequila at the mall across the street, what are some good restaurants within walking distance that have good authentic Mexican food?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I’d take the bus to Puerto Madero. It’s a quick & easy bus ride. El Fish fritango and La Distilleria are within walking distance. There are many restaurants nearby but the bus is very easy & safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread has been helpful. My wife and I are going in April for four nights, our first time to Cancun.

Question regarding Puerto Madero, google maps says its about a 25 minute walk. Is that true? If so, is it safe to walk? Not sure we'd feel comfortable taking the bus or a taxi.

Also, other than Taco & Tequila at the mall across the street, what are some good restaurants within walking distance that have good authentic Mexican food?
Cancun is the very first place we haven't rented a car. My wife researched the bus system to death before our first trip and convinced me it would meet our needs.

I have zero issues or concerns with the bus system in Cancun.

Everyone's comfort level is different, and my wife needed to convince herself it was ok before trying to convince me we didn't need a car.

It is very cheap, and no more than a couple minutes to wait for it.

We figured out the numbering system so it was easy to get to the malls of America, etc without changing over.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

A taxi from Lagunamar to Puerto Madero costs about $7 - $8; we had no qualms about taking a taxi. The 25 minute walking estimate sounds about right, but I would never do that walk. It would be along the main road at night. Neither scenic nor pleasant. If I were paranoid about the "dangers" of Mexico, walking would be my last choice.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score

We took the bus everywhere. Very easy to figure out and cheap, just 12 pesos. Get pesos. The resort will exchange $200 USD per day per person at the front desk at the current exchange rate with no fees. I confirmed it.

Just be aware that the buses compete with each other unlike every city in the US where they are all on the same team so to speak. That means they drive fairly aggressively and they will take off as soon as you pay them to get their next fare. I was launched to the back a few times until I figured out the system. To get off, just stand up near your stop and they will stop.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We figured out the numbering system so it was easy to get to the malls of America, etc without changing over.
can you share that info on the numbering system. I am assuing that you are referring to going downtown

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
can you share that info on the numbering system. I am assuing that you are referring to going downtown

http://cancun.rutadirecta.com

If you click on the actual route number under "Listado de Rutas", it then displays the actual route on the map to the left. You can scroll in and out on the map to get a greater level of details. An example is, R-27 takes you right past the Plaza Las America's.

I also found this as well.

CANCUN BUS ROUTES

The two major routes in Cancun proper are R1 and R2. Both will take you where you want to go. R1 is the route to go downtown or to the bus station. The only real thing here to make sure of is that you grab the bus on the right side of the street to take you where you want to go. The buses on the ocean side of the street will go toward downtown, and the lagoon side buses will go toward the airport.

Major Routes

R1 - Take this route to go downtown, or to Puerto Juarez, Wal-Mart, Plaza 2000, Mercado 23 and the Cancun bus station.

R2 - Goes to Wal-Mart & Mercado 28.

Minor Routes

R15 - Goes to Wal-Mart & Mercado 28.

R27 - Goes along Tulum Ave to Plaza Las Americas where you catch the collectivo to Playa del Carmen and Tulum.

There is also Bus One, a white bus that runs in the Cancun Hotel Zone, which is the only bus with air conditioning.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://cancun.rutadirecta.com

If you click on the actual route number under "Listado de Rutas", it then displays the actual route on the map to the left. You can scroll in and out on the map to get a greater level of details. An example is, R-27 takes you right past the Plaza Las America's.

I also found this as well.

CANCUN BUS ROUTES

The two major routes in Cancun proper are R1 and R2. Both will take you where you want to go. R1 is the route to go downtown or to the bus station. The only real thing here to make sure of is that you grab the bus on the right side of the street to take you where you want to go. The buses on the ocean side of the street will go toward downtown, and the lagoon side buses will go toward the airport.

Major Routes

R1 - Take this route to go downtown, or to Puerto Juarez, Wal-Mart, Plaza 2000, Mercado 23 and the Cancun bus station.

R2 - Goes to Wal-Mart & Mercado 28.

Minor Routes

R15 - Goes to Wal-Mart & Mercado 28.

R27 - Goes along Tulum Ave to Plaza Las Americas where you catch the collectivo to Playa del Carmen and Tulum.

There is also Bus One, a white bus that runs in the Cancun Hotel Zone, which is the only bus with air conditioning.
wait, i'm confused you have both R1 and R2 going to walmart. which is it. i am going to make this work. too bad uber isn't a good choice

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
wait, i'm confused you have both R1 and R2 going to walmart. which is it. i am going to make this work. too bad uber isn't a good choice

Sorry, I never noticed that it stated both R1 and R2 go to Walmart. R1 will get you within 3-4 blocks but R2 will take you right past it. However, you can not easily see Walmart when getting off as the street splits and there are tall buildings between the bus route and Walmart. When you get back on, the bus stop is right outside of Walmart though. If you tell the driver when you get on you are going to Walmart they will announce it for you so worries there.

The first time we went to Walmart we didn't see it so we stayed on. We figured we had missed but thought it would bring us back around. Nope, the driver pulled off on a side street where there were 3 or 4 other buses and I guess it was break time. We sat there for a minute until the driver told us we needed to get off. We waited 5 minutes and then was advised to get back on a different bus as it was going back past Walmart. We paid an additional fare and continued on. Hind sight maybe not the best decision but it all worked out. After that I started using my maps on my phone to keep track of we where were while on the buses.

I understand everyone's comfort level is different and you can not forget you are in another country, but using common sense and not putting yourself in needless harms way goes along way to keeping your vacation, a vacation and not an incident.