• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kitchen Size

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a confirmation from RCI shows the unit I have exchanged into as a full kitchen can the resort move me into a partial kitchen? Both units have the same number of bedrooms.

Thanks

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that if your confirmation says full kitchen, that's pretty much a guarantee. A confirmation is just that.

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rest of the story is that the resort I checked into on Friday did switch me to a partial instead of a full kitchen. I guess I will know better to say something next time. (The bigger disappointment was that I was switched from a lake front room to a lake view room about a quarter mile away. I know the resort has a right to do this, but don't like it much.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you call RCI and tell them that you only got a partial kitchen? You should! You might get some compensation.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with Denise and Passepartout. Call RCI immediately, as well as speaking to the front desk. A full kitchen unit should never be changed to a partial kitchen.

Good luck!

Dori

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you checkin late? Sounds like someone complained and got your unit both because of the small kitchen AND the view.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
View is not guaranteed, (unless specifically stipulated) but occupancy and major amenities (kitchen or loft vs single etc...) shouldn't be arbitrarily sub'd.

I agree: Give RCI a call. You paid good money and didn't get what you paid for.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
After your first post, I mistakenly assumed you had just made the reservation and were asking for planning purposes. Had I held a confirmation and the resort downgraded ANY major components (# of bedrooms, view, kitchen, floor- that were stipulated in the confirmation) I'd have been on the phone with RCI while standing at the desk. They'd have provided what was reserved or pay me some cash.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jim

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your helpful input. I made this reservation last minute on March 17. I called RCI to check on the unit number and when I found where the unit was located I confirmed the unit. However, the unit # nor view were !listed on the reservation. So resort did have right to change me.

The building I was supposed to trade into is closed for renovations. (It seems like they would have known this 3 weeks ago.). Front desk told me I was getting an upgrade with the new unit. Front desk only open Thursday to Sunday. I should have said something after seeing the unit, bud did not.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ah, the famous 'upgraded' unit.

Which turns out to be a newly 'refurbished' unit that is smaller, no kitchen and different building.

I've seen that before in hotels, rentals etc....
It's the classic excuse with whipped cream on top

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Your reservation confirmation was for a full kitchen and that is what you should have. As OP said view and location can be changed but the number of bedrooms and full kitchen should never be changed. It doesn't matter when you made the reservation.

That being said sometimes the resort screws up or there are problems with units being out of order. However you don't have to accept the resort making their problems your problem without compensation. In our past experience in a situation like this if you call RCI they should give you your exchange fee and points back.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since the desk is not open, and you checked in on Friday- I'm guessing you'll check out next Friday. There is probably not anything RCI can do. If you'd raised the alarm when you checked in- or at least the next morning, maybe some accommodation could be made, but now there is no way to make amends, or for RCI to even verify what was done in order to issue your points & exchange fee back. But I'd still try. You have nothing to lose by calling RCI and making a case that you were moved to a sub-standard unit, in crummy location and had to take your family out to several meals due to the incomplete kitchen. It's worth a shot, anyway.

Jim

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know about RCI, but over the years II has twice given us a week back after we returned home for "issues" we encountered while on our exchange. The first time was when we took a bus 5 hours from the airport to our resort in Guatemala because the confirmation clearly stated that rental cars were available on site and they weren't (or anywhere near) causing us to have to take taxis the entire week, including up to Tikal! The second was in St. Kitts when the water was supposed to be off for an afternoon which turned out to be 3 days, including our day of departure. We schelpped water from the pool in our waste paper baskets up two flights of stairs so that we could flush the toilet and finally used the pool to bathe in as well. I'd try getting another week/points back from RCI instead of asking for any monetary compensation. There is an upside for them because it doesn't require adjusting anything that is already entered in their system and then they will get another exchange fee from you when you use that week. Good luck!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I agree with Rob (taterhed) in that you should have called RCI as soon as you walked into the unit & discovered the wrong kitchen size. RCI has been a great help to us the 3 times we've had to call them due to problems at check-in.

We had a confirmation for a 1 bedroom, full kitchen, at a Daytona Resort and were given a studio with a mini kitchen. I called RCI on the phone in the unit to explain the situation, then RCI called the front desk and told them they had to give us what it said on our confirmation. Another time the resort (Westgate) had no record of our confirmation. After waiting for hours for RCI & Westgate to sort it out we were given an upgraded/larger unit.

Every time we check into a timeshare (or hotel room) we always go and inspect the room before taking any of our stuff inside. You should be given what is on your confirmation, as far as kitchen size or number of bedrooms, but as others have said the view isn't usually stated nor guaranteed.

~Diane

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
On doing some further checking I discovered that the building we were moved from also has partial kitchens. However, my RCI confirmation does have a full kitchen listed. It appears both RCI and the resort messed up.

I know I should have said something right away when I discovered the problem. My wife wanted me to do so and I should have listened to her input.☺

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I should have said something right away when I discovered the problem. My wife wanted me to do so and I should have listened to her input.☺
Always listen to your wife. Happy wife= Happy life. :) I'd still make a run at getting RCI to refund at least some of what the exchange cost you.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
On doing some further checking I discovered that the building we were moved from also has partial kitchens. However, my RCI confirmation does have a full kitchen listed. It appears both RCI and the resort messed up.

It isn't too late to still call RCI. You haven't missed your window of opportunity just because you didn't call right away. When you call don't act like you don't really expect them to do anything for you just because it took you a few days to figure out what to do. You are on vacation! I will be very, very surprised if they don't give you your points or TPU's back and a credit for the exchange fee.

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update: Rci did give me back my week - TPU's. I also learned a good lesson: if you have a concern say something right away. Resort indicated that they would have been willing to move me if I would have said something.

Part of the problem occurred because this resort has few deposits into RCI. The resort is The Homestead in Glen Arbor, right on Lake Michigan.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update: Rci did give me back my week - TPU's. I also learned a good lesson: if you have a concern say something right away. Resort indicated that they would have been willing to move me if I would have said something.
Under the circumstances, you did good. And learned something to boot.