• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kilauea Lava Cam

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Nice mesmerizing lava cam. Looks really cool tonight.

Bill

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
A little chunk of that stuff hit a guy in leg on his 3rd floor balcony.

Said that little chunk shattered his leg between knee and ankle.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Although it "looks" beautiful I can't help but be influenced by the devastation it's brought, and is still bringing.

Reactions: Xan

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
In all fairness, while I empathize with those who have lost homes and possessions and have been evacuated--a horrible experience--I think the 'disaster' is still pretty small compared to hurricanes, floods and other large-scale disasters.

Let's hope it stays small and doesn't go boom.

Again, I understand how horrible it would be to loose your home and all your possessions and be cut-off from your family home......

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In all fairness, while I empathize with those who have lost homes and possessions and have been evacuated--a horrible experience--I think the 'disaster' is still pretty small compared to hurricanes, floods and other large-scale disasters.

Let's hope it stays small and doesn't go boom.

Again, I understand how horrible it would be to loose your home and all your possessions and be cut-off from your family home......
It's also not unlike building a house on a barrier island.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's also not unlike building a house on a barrier island.
Yep. Kind of a not IF, but WHEN you get dispossessed by Pele. She is in charge here. While I have some sympathy for folks losing a very scenic, and unique place to live, for them to have an expectation of permanence was misplaced. Oops.

Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
When you build a house in Hawaii and there is an old crater from a flow a few hundred year ago, just saying, What did you expect?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When you build a house in Hawaii and there is an old crater from a flow a few hundred year ago, just saying, What did you expect?

Kind of like the people who rebuild in the same place after a flood or hurricane, then are surprised when it happens again.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
They all knew they were building homes in the lava zone. The land was cheap because of this. Glad people are safe and hope it stays that way.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They all knew they were building homes in the lava zone. The land was cheap because of this. Glad people are safe and hope it stays that way.
Right. Sure, it's a disaster for those affected, but like a slow motion train wreck, there has been (so far) ample warning to get out of its way. Unlike the explosive eruption of Mt. St. Helens, that while there was warning, it unexpectedly blew half a cubic mile of earth, 30,000 feet into the sky! We hope Kilauea has the courtesy to not do that.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We hope Pele has the courtesy not to do this......

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Geez. Way to put the damper on the next millenia :bawl:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
It won't just be Hawaii feeling that one. . . The whole North America/South America pacific coasts will be affected . . .

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little chunk of that stuff hit a guy in leg on his 3rd floor balcony.

Said that little chunk shattered his leg between knee and ankle.

I read that the leg is being repaired and he will be able to walk on it again in the future. That’s good news for him...too bad a phone call distracted him. (He and neighbors were using fire extinguishers to put out any flames to keep away brush fires.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right. Sure, it's a disaster for those affected, but like a slow motion train wreck, there has been (so far) ample warning to get out of its way. Unlike the explosive eruption of Mt. St. Helens, that while there was warning, it unexpectedly blew half a cubic mile of earth, 30,000 feet into the sky! We hope Kilauea has the courtesy to not do that.

Kilauea is a shield volcano, and they usually aren’t known to blow like Mt St Helens or many others around the world. It’s just when the lava gets below the water table and parts of the crater fall in is when you get the big explosive ash and boulders from Kilauea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Geez. Way to put the damper on the next millenia :bawl:

Like everything these days, it always seems that we are getting closer to the time when fit hits the shan for some poor reason or another. Oddly, the next unsupported claim is an unusual solar system dealio that happens between mid July through mid Sept 2018, where all of the planets are on the same side of the sun. I read somewhere that this could cause a magnetic dealio in the solar system but because it is astrology I kind of doubt it. Here is a solar system map where all the planets are tracked by date.

https://www.solarsystemscope.com/

I really like watching the lava cam at night on my tv. The sounds remind me of the kroki frogs , chickens and jungle noises that make it hard to sleep in that area.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kilauea is a shield volcano, and they usually aren’t known to blow like Mt St Helens or many others around the world. It’s just when the lava gets below the water table and parts of the crater fall in is when you get the big explosive ash and boulders from Kilauea.
Virtually all of the mass of the Hawaiian Islands was built of flows of this type. If lava oozes below water it immediately cools into basalts. If above water, it creates the sheet flows, either a'a or paho'eo'e.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I kind of wonder if this next full moon on May 29th will have the lava doing something. The full moon does have an effect on liquids and lava is liquid rock. We will soon know.

Bill

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I really like watching the lava cam at night on my tv. The sounds remind me of the kroki frogs , chickens and jungle noises that make it hard to sleep in that area.
Bill

Flash from the wayback machine.....I think you mean Coquí
693017227644d29b1049ba719f027e83.jpg

I haven't heard or though of those for a while.... brings back many memories from PR