• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West (2008)

Timesharemogul

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Galleon is the BEST timeshare

"Easyrider" Bill had previously posted asking where the best place to stay is, and I replied it using my recollection of small bed and breakfast/guesthouse type accomodations. Now as a Galleon owner, I'm sure it'd look as if I was unfairly hyping the resort I own at as the best- so I didn't (but it is!) The Galleon was the first timeshare resort in Key West if you exclude the Banyan- which had previously been a guesthouse which was upgraded to timeshare condominiums AFTER the Galleon resort opened in 1983. Excluding some of the rehab to Coconut Beach Resort (to fix hurricane damages), the Galleon has been the ONLY timeshare in Key West to receive a top-to-bottom facelift/rehab since it opened. At some point or another, I have been fortunate enough to exhange and stay at Banyan Resort, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Beach House, Coconut Beach Resort, have toured Coconut Mallory, and have been through Reflections of Ocean Key House. The ONLY Key West timeshare I haven't toured or stayed at is Hyatt Windward Pointe- however I have NO desire to stay right next to the Key West International Airport.
When I enter exchange requests to stay in Key West in a different week number than I own at my timeshare, I always request (and usually confirm the Galleon with RCI). When I use I.I., I've had to settle for some of the other resorts, and haven't been really happy at any of them except for the Banyan with its prime center-of-the-action location. Having said that, I've been told MANY times that it is rather difficult to trade into Key West unless you're an owner there, so given that fact, I suppose someone should just hope for an exchange anywhere....unless they can afford to rent....in which case if money was no object the Galleon would be IT. When money IS an object (like it might be for a college student when I first travelled to Key West) then I think that guesthouses/bed-and-breakfasts are the ticket.
Back to hyping my Galleon resort: Don't need to-it's the only Key West timeshare with an unblemished streak of both Gold Crown and 5-star awards since both awards' inceptions.
JMHO,
Brian

seatrout

Reaction score
Things to do with kids

Other than shoping for the wife and bar hopping. What is there to do with Kids in the Summer ?? I have a 2,8,9 year old kids ??
Is the ride to Dry Tortuga NP worthwhile ??

thanks

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other than shoping for the wife and bar hopping. What is there to do with Kids in the Summer ?? I have a 2,8,9 year old kids ??
Is the ride to Dry Tortuga NP worthwhile ??

thanks

i always contact the visitors center before I arrive they tell me things that even this board doesnt know about.
National park is GREAT!!!

jimkin

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is the Ocean Key House still part of the timeshare family? My hubby and I stayed there when we got married on the beach in Key West 8 years ago - it was wonderful!!!!!! Awesome location, too, if you want to be able to walk to everything.

DEFINITELY check out Blue Heaven. It's in a sort of run down area, but omgoodness is the food awesome!!!!!!!! A bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Rhonda
Some of the units are timeshare units and some are hotel units owned by Ocean Key. I even went so far as to contact the responsible person at the home office (in Seattle maybe?) in 2004 and asked if they would contact me if and when a unit became available. He was fairly new and didn't know if they had a waiting list but promised to add my name if they did or keep my name and contact me if and when one became available.

I had heard that they were buying the timeshare units as they came available and were converting back to hotel units. It sounds as if they have a ROFR but I don't know that for a fact. I do know I have looked diligently since about 2000 and have not found a single unit for sale or rent.

adkferrets

Reaction score
The original post was about the Keys - now Key West is party central for the Keys, and it's the furthest away too. If you're into fishing, there's Islamorada and Big Pine Key areas, which can be nice

Depending on when you go, you may want to check into renting a house. Most of the county limits the rentals to 28 days min - but you don't have to stay there 28 days. If it's off season, a lot of us rent the month for the cost of a week and just leave it vacant the rest of the weeks. This way you get a private, 2 or 3 br, right on the water (canal) which is better than a timeshare.

Good luck!

CarlK

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the banana belt of Southwestern Ontario
We were in Key West two weeks ago. We were only there a few days so did not try to get an exchange, and instead stayed at a B&B (Marrero's). Great location, but our room was getting a little tired looking. Driving from Vacation Village at Weston we had a rental car which we never used once we got to the B&B. If you stay in the old town area you can walk to most everything. Next time we will try to get a flight through Ft. Lauderdale. Having done the 4 1/2 hour drive once I have no great desire to do it again.

Walked by the Galleon and the Banyan timeshares. Both are in good locations and I would be happy staying at either. The Galleon is waterfront and they even have a small beach where several kids were playing. The Banyan is in a more residential area in old town. There are many B&Bs and small inns in old town. Fun places to eat lunch: Pepe's and the Raw Bar. Had an exceptional dinner at Sarabeth's on Simonton St. Interesting tours: the conch train and Hemingway's house. You know Key West is one of a kind when you see the roosters walking around the back streets and yards. I'd go back in a second.
Carl

keyslover

Reaction score
Been there 4 times in 3 yrs

We have been there soo much we really love it. From Key Largo, all the way to Key West there is something to see/do/eat...Islamorada and Marathon are our faves for the fishing and relaxation. As for beaches, BAHIA HONDA is a must see as well as Sombrero Beach in Marathon (very family/kid friendly) Key West is simply a must, but much more fast paced and lively than the rest of the Keys. Marathon is kind of in the middle, basically about an hour in either direction...

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, we have been wanting to take a vacation to Key West also. Love hearing opinions about where to stay etc.
We are huge Buffett fans so it goes without saying this is a must for us.
Now the question is do we join an exchange co. and hope for a great place to stay? I would think our resort could pull something decent.
I would like to stay within walking distance of the nightlife but also have the beach right there. And that place would be????

Timesharemogul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Within walking distance of nightlife

Maddaug,
If your criteria for finding an exchange are to be within walking distance of the nightlife and on the beach, your options are:
-With a 1- 2 mile long walk, Coconut Beach Resort (II);
-With a rather small but swimmable beach,Galleon Resort (II and RCI);
-On a waterfront but no beach, Hyatt Sunset Harbor(II);
-Nearly impossible to exchange into but it has been done, Reflections (RCI);
Plus, with NO beach, but in the middle of the nightlife: Banyan Resort (II);

Then there are the resorts far on the outskirts of KeyWest which require you to take a cab to the nightlife...
On a beach that no use uses there, Hyatt Beach House (II);
Water-FRONT, but no beach, Coconut Mallory (II-rumored to soon be RCI)
Water-VIEW, but no beach, Hyatt Windward Pointe (II)

In other words Maddaug, if you want to be on a beach while in Key West,
the timeshares which have a swimmable beach right there are: Hyatt Beach House (4 miles from the nightlife), Galleon (very small beach but otherwise all waterfront units), Reflections (nearly impossible to trade into), or Coconut Beach Resort (1-2 miles from nightlife).
All 8 Key West resorts have pools.
Brian

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up Timesharemogul. I guess a cab wouldn't be out of the question. I have heard parking is an issue and it's just easier not to deal with all that. Of course this is someone else's opinion plus a first-timer to Key West. Now to figure out how our timeshare would trade for some of these timeshares you mentioned.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the cab rates are? Hubby and I are thinking we will join II and deposit our Longboat Bay Club for Key West. It would look like II has more options for condos to stay at. Any other ideas or tips appreciated.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible to travel around Key West and the outskirts by public bus. They had an excellent rate plan for seniors when we were there 4 years ago.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jennie, now I am having reservations on whether or not we can even get an exchange for next April or May. Sounds like these are tough months or even exchanging into Key West at all. :(

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I've been trying for a couple of years now, and I just can't seem to get a trade. I suppose the demand is huge, and the owners don't deposit much.

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you look at 2008 in extra vacations The Galleon Resort comes up daily but it is only for a hotel unit (no view, no window) who knows what next year would be like since rci is changing all the time.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Understandable...

I suppose the demand is huge, and the owners don't deposit much.

With the high rents which Key West weeks easily and consistently command, it's understandable that TS owners there would be unlikely to deposit their week(s). Deposit would seem to be, by far, the least valuable option for a Key West TS owner to exercise.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Well, even Key West owners trade for Hawaii and the Carribean once in a while. But, I pretty much gave up on getting a trade to Key West thru RCI. The only way I can get there is to use my StarPoints and stay at one of the hotels.

Last edited:

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
So would you Key West experts agree that April or May 09 is unrealistic?
I guess we could wait till 2010.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
It's tough, but you should at least try :wall:

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Kids in Key West

Sea trout,
Since you are a Hyatt owner - go for Sunset Harbor. Yes there is plenty to do with kids. The trip to the Dry Tourguas is a must do and your kids will love it. The 2 year old may be a little young for the trip - she/he really would enjoy it more around 4. Our son went the first time at 6 years old. Key West has lots of great museums, an aquarium, Pirate stuff and I think your kids will be fine. Actually with kids, Hyatt Beach House might be better since they have the zero entry pool and they have a small beach. You would want a car if you stayed at the Hyatt Beach House. I have stayed at all 3 Hyatt properties and they all have their benefits. Windward Pointe is NOT noisy, but it is actually the quietest of all 3 Hyatt's in Key West.

Timesharemogul

TUG Member
Reaction score
KWF cab rates

Any idea what the cab rates are? Hubby and I are thinking we will join II and deposit our Longboat Bay Club for Key West. It would look like II has more options for condos to stay at. Any other ideas or tips appreciated.

They are in the vicinity of almost $3 for the first fifth-mile and 60 cents for each add'l fifth. Flat rates apply by zones for going to/from airport or if a large number of fares are sharing a cab.
I recall back in the early 90's that after the Galeeon had sold out all of its original "new" timeshares, the salesforce were selling Longboat Bay Club- so I'm wondering if there was a developer-in-common....if so maddaud you might be able to get into the Galleon on a comp exchange if you "tour" it....I could ask if you want to E-mail me. And akll this talk about cabs reminds me of another point-Galleon guests and owners and exchangers can have free complimentary pickup/dropoff at the Key West airport on Saturdays. The vast majority of exchange confirmations at Galleon are done through RCI, not II although I have both deposited AND received confirmations through II back to the Galleon on rare occasion.
Brian

Timesharemogul

TUG Member
Reaction score
re:

If you look at 2008 in extra vacations The Galleon Resort comes up daily but it is only for a hotel unit (no view, no window) who knows what next year would be like since rci is changing all the time.

Staying in a studio would not be pleasant as you'd feel you're missing out on having a real vacation condo. IF you were the type that knew you wouldn't be in there to do anything but sleep, and if you did in factr spend your entire days out participating in water/sport related activity or touring or shopping,you MIGHT be able to overlook the fact that you had booked a studio- but I wouldn't stay in one....I'd rather pay to stay in a bed-and-breakfast. JMHO
Brian

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how we felt when we had a hotel unit on hold for april. We decided to go to ft. lauderdale then spend a couple of days in key west at the Eden House.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A specific example...

They are in the vicinity of almost $3 for the first fifth-mile and 60 cents for each add'l fifth. Flat rates apply by zones for going to/from airport or if a large number of fares are sharing a cab. Brian

Based upon the experience of my stay in Key West a few weeks ago, a cab ride from one end of Key West (say, Coconut Mallory) to the other end of Key West (say, Blue Heaven Restaurant) costs $15-18, one way, before tip. One could call that a bit pricey for just a very few miles, but YMMV....

Last edited:

jimkin

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Staying in a studio would not be pleasant as you'd feel you're missing out on having a real vacation condo. IF you were the type that knew you wouldn't be in there to do anything but sleep, and if you did in factr spend your entire days out participating in water/sport related activity or touring or shopping,you MIGHT be able to overlook the fact that you had booked a studio- but I wouldn't stay in one....I'd rather pay to stay in a bed-and-breakfast. JMHO
Brian

The studios at the Galleon are okay but the hotel units are very tiny and dark, no window as I recall.