• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West (2008)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Were thinking of visiting the Keys, any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots to do there ,watersports, history, museums, shopping, barhopping.What are your interests? I recommend the conch train tour as a first stop . I know it sounds over touristy but it gives you great info on the area and shows you around quite a bit then you can return to the sites that interest you most.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wheres a great place to stay / which Key and accommodation ?
Thanks
Bill

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know somewhile ago I asked if anyone had taken the catamaran service from Ft Myers beach to Key West but no-one responded, may since then, someone has? I don't fancy the drive from where I live, but that could be a fun thing to do. I'll see what accommodations are suggested too.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Key west-As far as timeshares The Hyatts there are great but difficult to trade into.The Galleon is also nice with a great location .The Westin hotel has a great Location .Sheraton Suites are right across from Smathers beach Marathon- Hawks Kay and Cheeca lodge are nice .Key largo I like the Marriott.I'll be down for spring break.:D

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't recommend it...

I know somewhile ago I asked if anyone had taken the catamaran service from Ft Myers beach to Key West but no-one responded, may since then, someone has? I don't fancy the drive from where I live, but that could be a fun thing to do. I'll see what accommodations are suggested too.

I made the mistake of spending the requisite 7 hours in one day on this particular excursion from Ft. Myers Beach to Key West, just last year. As Dr. Phil might have asked me...... "What were you thinking?"

For just a very few hours to spend in Key West, spending 3 1/2 hours each way on that cat, no matter how fast it might be travelling, is simply not an enjoyable or productive use of ones' time, at least in my personal opinion.

JoePa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Southern Most Hotel

In my opinion, the Southern Most is the nicest hotel for the price in KW. While it's not the Westin or a Hyatt, for the price it can't be beat. It's on the "quiet" end of Duval and an easy 20 minute walk to Mallory Sq.

There's a tiki bar at the pool for drinks and snacks and the Duval Beach Club is right across the street and on the beach for good eats.

Joe :cool:

keysfan

Reaction score
Near the Southernmost is a small timeshare property, Coconut Beach Resort, which is right on the water (not very common for Key West). The Banyan is another ts resort located in a busy area of town, near the cruise ship dock. There are many hotels and B&B's as well - not sure what you are looking for in terms of accommodations. You can try tripadvisor for reviews, you might find them helpful. Enjoy your trip!

Gramma5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have taken the ferry from FMB to Key West and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. It is a huge boat and has movies running and a mini food bar and cocktail bar. If you have the slightest motion sickness problem, be sure to take something before hand, because sometimes it can be kinda bumpy. I would never take it for just a day tho, we spent the night and returned at 5pm the next day. Enjoy Key west. We had breakfast at Blue Heaven...an famous outdoor restaurant that used to be for locals but has become a "tourist" place because of the novelty of it. Chickens and dirt floors...however, the breakfast was great altho pricey!
Sherry

Timesharemogul

TUG Member
Reaction score
How I learned about Key West

If you're looking for accomodations, I'll tell you what I did for my first trip to Key West- before I took the plunge into buying timeshares there in 1990....
When I was in college in the 80's (before we had personal computers and laptops, I'd heard that Key West was becoming the next big place to go(as it has become, and it is!). I shiuffled through travel magazines and sent postcards to any place offering accomodations- "bed & breakfasts", motels, and chambers/guilds/associations of innkeepers. After reviewing dozens of pamphlets and looking at price affordability versus amenities,I made my selections for a place to stay.
It should be MUCH easier now to do this on the internet if you don't have a place already picked out. On one occasion about five years ago,I wanted to rent at a B&B to extend my trip of my upcoming timeshare week- I looked online and using search words like "Key West"/"Key West bed and breakfasts"/ETC., I was able to find a very pleasant clean little B&B with charm congeniality and affordability. (Sorry can't recall it's name- only remember its location and the fact that the owner's 1st name was a Cuban woman named Louisa or Eloisea!!)
....If you do likewise you should have success at finding the perfect place for you.
Brian

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo - I didn't realise it took so long and I don't suppose there's much too look at - I'm not really a sea person. Your ID photo: does this mean you're a German Shepherd fan? For me, there is no other.

Sherry - if this was a huge boat, was it not the catamaran? I've only seen the service advertised in our local paper so don't know how large the cat is.

It would take us 3 1/2 hr. to get as far as Miami Airport area and presumably the same again to get to Key West, I imagine, haven't been, but about 2 1/2 to FMB, so we'd still be winning time-wise I guess.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=silvib;467967]Theo - I didn't realise it took so long and I don't suppose there's much too look at - I'm not really a sea person.

It's a very long day. Keep in mind that you have to arrive well before departure time in the morning and it takes a while to disembark upon return that evening. Yes, it's a a large vessel, yes it travels at a high rate of speed --- but 3 1/2 hours each way is still an unavoidable fact. It actually seemed longer, particular on the way back. I'd never do it again, personally, unless staying overnight to have a full day (or more) in Key West and return back to FMB days later.

Re: >> Your ID photo: does this mean you're a German Shepherd fan? For me, there is no other.<<

I'm of the personal view that there are only two varieties of dog species:
1. German Shepherds, and....
2. all the others who just wish they were German Shepherds ;)

Last edited:

jjlovecub

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed at both the Galleon and Hyatt Sunset on exchanges. The Hyatt is nicer but I perfered the location of the Galleon. My sister likes the Banyon House (very quaint). I should probably buy in Key West because I always want to go - you really can't go wrong unless you stay on the other side of Key West - then you need a cab or car to do anything.

Mel7706

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do YOU want to do in the keys ?

The picture with your name indicates you might be interested in fishing. You didn't say how long you wanted to stay, etc. It makes a big difference.

scooooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the Ocean Key House still part of the timeshare family? My hubby and I stayed there when we got married on the beach in Key West 8 years ago - it was wonderful!!!!!! Awesome location, too, if you want to be able to walk to everything.

DEFINITELY check out Blue Heaven. It's in a sort of run down area, but omgoodness is the food awesome!!!!!!!! A bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Rhonda

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The picture with your name indicates you might be interested in fishing. You didn't say how long you wanted to stay, etc. It makes a big difference.

Yes Sir , I like to fish. We love the beaches. Ten days max would be a Florida Keys trip for us. Sight seeing, some drinking in the evening and sunsets. We have heard about some thing called the Duvall Crawl ? We may want to do it at least once. Has any one done this ?
Thanks
Bill

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Upright, or not...

We have heard about some thing called the Duvall Crawl ? We may want to do it at least once. Has any one done this ?

Duval Street is the "action" street in Key West. I don't think the "Duval Crawl" is much more than a cutesy phrase depicting a wobbly, bar-hopping trek (or stumble) through as many joints as possible along Duval St. Maybe a local can give it more glitter and glamor or spin, but I suspect not.....

Last edited:

alanraycole

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Duval Crawl

The Duval Crawl is the plan to get all your friends to go along with you taking one shot at each of the bars on Duval Street and then move on to the next. The person in your adventure that makes it the furthest, wins the Duval Crawl.

No, I have never done the Duval Crawl, but I have vacationed with people who gave it a try. Unless you are determined to go till you drop, you will probably do as my friends did and just stay put at one of the bars somewhere along the way.

I have been to Key West a few times. The only timeshare I have stayed at is the Galleon. If you can get it, I would suggest that it is one of the better bets... for its location, if nothing else.

alanraycole

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the Ocean Key House still part of the timeshare family?

When I was there last October, it was being remodeled. I ate at a restaurant on a pier right in front of it and asked the waitress about it. She said it had suffered hurricane damage and had to be completely remodeled. I never checked out her story, but so I was told. And it's still in the book.

JoePa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Frank,

When you came out of Sloppy Joe's did you turn right or left?

If you turned right and made it to Irish Kevin's, you're my hero...

Joe :cool:

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have confirmed 2 nites at Eden House May 2-4 and can't wait. With only a short time there what are the "must do's" in Key West.

beatja

TUG Member
Reaction score
Key West is the best.....

If you like to catch a buzz while there, I recommend staying at the Galleon. The tiki bar is a great place to start. It's at the beginning of the boardwalk around the Key West Bight. Plenty of bars with great food.

As a first timer, you need to check out all of Duvall Street. It's best after dark. If you get a chance, check out the Green Parrot...a little off Duvall with a lot of local color and great blues bands on the weekends.

Go see Captain Tony at his bar a block from Sloppy Joe's. He has to be a million years old, but still goes to the bar to fondle the women.

If you want to fish, the Galleon offers discounts for fishing with captains at the Key West Bight, including reef, backwater and deep sea. They also offer discounts on the scooter rentals, the best way to travel in town.