• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai car rental

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I now have both an Intermiate SUV and a 4 door Jeep reserved, thanks to the above posts! Not sure which one I will get eventually though. Does the Jeep consume significant more gas than a mid size SUV?

Probably about the same. ~20MPH is average for those cars. If there is a lot of stop-and-go driving, maybe a bit less. If lots of freeway-speed time, then probably a bit higher. Between the two, I'd say go with whichever is more likely to fit your party without crowding. Jeep will be higher up, and a bit stiffer of a ride. Intermediate SUV (I assume Ford Escape or similar?) will be more car-like, but less legroom in the back seat. Both are good vehicles.

Dave

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I now have both an Intermiate SUV and a 4 door Jeep reserved, thanks to the above posts! Not sure which one I will get eventually though. Does the Jeep consume significant more gas than a mid size SUV?

My Int SUV (Budget) decreased again - $39/day. 1 week to go!!!

I do not know which is better between Jeep and Int SUV - the SUV handles better on roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not sure I understand this comment? We'll be there June 30, so it all should be open. Right?

Based on the claim by someone else in regards to what Google maps states - if true (opens Jun23) than Jun 30 should be good.

My point was the critical road/bridge at Waipa (right outside Hanalei on way to Tunnels) needs to be open in order to get further onto Tunnels and Na Pali Trail head (by Ke’e beach). Having the Tunnels section open before the Waipa bridge does not help visitors- only locals.

I posted a number that has daily info - I am sure once they get ready to formally open - it will be reported as it is big news.

I can only hope it happens sooner than later.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My Int SUV (Budget) decreased again - $39/day. 1 week to go!!!

I do not know which is better between Jeep and Int SUV - the SUV handles better on roads.

I would grab the Jeep if I were planning to go to Mahaulepu or Polihale; if not, the more comfortable car.

(and you're probably not driving from Princeville to Polihale)

KevinB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I Just got in from work, checked Budget.com. If you enter your Fastbreak # before you request a car (for me, specifically a jeep 4DR) its still showing $206 as a base price. I've never seen it that cheap, jump on it !

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Shows $262 for me... don't know why it's so different.
Was that total or base? If you choose prepay on Budget’s website, it’s even lower. For the week of Jun 24-Jul 1, total for a 4 door Jeep is around $263 if I prepay (have not done that yet).

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was base, but it was for 9 days and not 7, and for June 7th to 16th. So that's why it's more. :doh:I guess it's still a good price.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That was base, but it was for 9 days and not 7, and for June 7th to 16th. So that's why it's more. :doh:I guess it's still a good price.

Isn't June 7th next week? That's a great price for being this close to the pickup date.

Dave

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Wonder what has come out of the meeting...?

I actually called the DOT number ;)
no official response yet - I am sure there are multi channels prior to public release. Hopefully soon...

I would really like to find snorkel Charter to take us to Tunnels and up to before Ke’e (w/o coast) - anyone know? I have searched with no luck. I have seen hard bottom rafts out on side of reef. Lots of SCUBA, but surprised no trips up to area that has no

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I actually called the DOT number ;)
no official response yet - I am sure there are multi channels prior to public release. Hopefully soon...

I would really like to find snorkel Charter to take us to Tunnels and up to before Ke’e (w/o coast) - anyone know? I have searched with no luck. I have seen hard bottom rafts out on side of reef. Lots of SCUBA, but surprised no trips up to area that has no

Someone on TA mentioned that they took this tour to snorkel at Tunnels. Condition was great. It’s a bit pricy though.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from Kauai. Thank you for all the suggestions. Got the 4-door Jeep through Budget for a great price (plus it only had 16 miles on it). Plus the Fastbreak number really helped. The "regular" Budget line wasn't long when we got the vehicle but we noticed the long line inside when we returned it.

DH wants to buy a Jeep now.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just returned from Kauai. Thank you for all the suggestions. Got the 4-door Jeep through Budget for a great price (plus it only had 16 miles on it). Plus the Fastbreak number really helped. The "regular" Budget line wasn't long when we got the vehicle but we noticed the long line inside when we returned it.

DH wants to buy a Jeep now.

If you don't mind, what did you end up paying for the Jeep rental? And everyone who drives them wants to own a Jeep. Check out the higher-end ones before committing. You can spend a LOT on a Jeep.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave,

It was $391, including all the fees and taxes, for 9 days.

That was a very good rate! Nice work. :) I paid about $260 for 7 days in an Intermediate car last month on Kauai. Jeeps were over the top when I reserved mine.

Dave

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I paid $490 for 11 days for a 4 door Jeep this week. Originally it was over $900 so I had a mid sized SUV reserved and that price dropped as well. Once I could reserve the 4D Jeep for the original price of the SUV, I switched.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Heck of a deal! I see a 2-door Wrangler is $179 base price. Excellent deal!

My recommendation is if you're going to rent through Budget in Lihue, make sure you are a Fast Break member ahead of time, and that your Fast Break number is on the reservation. I'm on Kauai right now, and two days ago at the Budget counter I beat out about 50 people waiting in line to get their cars because I was a Fast Break member. It will save you a LOT of time.

The regular line was out the door and into the parking lot. I got in the Fast Break line, and I was third to pick up my car. It was very, very fast.

Dave
How would one go about adding the fast break number to an outside rental?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How would one go about adding the fast break number to an outside rental?
If you can't access your rental online and add it, call Budget and ask them to add it for you.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can't access your rental online and add it, call Budget and ask them to add it for you.
Thanks, I have several but didn't want to call them on a couple at this time because I have more than one and haven't decided which one I'll use until I know the full group configuration.