• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Beach Villas - Any changes so far?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
20 is not high in the weeks system - the maximum value in the weeks system is 60.

IMNSHO - they should just offer the weeks to owners for rent at a discounted price.

Hmm...really. Denise, from what you know, how many TPUs to get into a 1BR at the Kauai Beach Villas? And could you give me examples of resorts that require 20 TPUs, and examples of resorts that require closer to 60?

I think they're trying to get some money into KBV. Rather than have the weeks unused, where they're not getting anything for them, they get an influx of $449 per owner, the week, then, goes into RCI's inventory, which is a boon for RCI (any Hawaii inventory is good for them), and RCI, then, gets $219 for an exchange fee. Everyone wins, sort of.

I guess a question is whether $668, which includes the exchange fee, is a good value for getting up to a 20 TPU valued week?

schenriq

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm...really. Denise, from what you know, how many TPUs to get into a 1BR at the Kauai Beach Villas? And could you give me examples of resorts that require 20 TPUs, and examples of resorts that require closer to 60?

I'm not Denise but I'd just deposited my 2BR at Bldg.G @KBV to RCI weeks at end of last month. I could've gotten 39TPUs but since it's almost December, RCI gave me 35. This is a costly exchange but it's better than hanging onto it and ending up with an unused unit come December (our plans changed because of a somewhat impromptu -in timeshare terms- visit from a friend). Compare that with my week in Myrtle Beach which easily receives TPUs in the mid-20s. The MF on that is way lower than MF @KBV although that is not oceanfront week.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The most expensive Disney resorts go for 60 TPU. I don't know how many TPU KBV gets - I haven't deposited mine.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Hmm...really. Denise, from what you know, how many TPUs to get into a 1BR at the Kauai Beach Villas? . . . . .
I guess a question is whether $668, which includes the exchange fee, is a good value for getting up to a 20 TPU valued week?
Aloha Jeff,
I'm not Denise either. I used to screen scrape selected RCI data into excel. I have not updated the formulae to accommodate changes RCI made to their screens a while back, but based on previously collected data, the following 2017 info is for one bedroom (no idea if 1 or 2 bathroom) KBV unit with between 30 and 365 days lead time to check in (47 rows of data):
minimum TPU 22
maximum TPU 33
average TPU 29.8
My opinion regarding the second quoted question is that it is not a good deal for most folks but might suit some in special cases such as when they need the TPU to combine with a balance they already have to get an exchange that they are confident they can get with that higher combined TPU.
Jack

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
I'm not Denise but I'd just deposited my 2BR at Bldg.G @KBV to RCI weeks at end of last month. I could've gotten 39TPUs but since it's almost December, RCI gave me 35. This is a costly exchange but it's better than hanging onto it and ending up with an unused unit come December (our plans changed because of a somewhat impromptu -in timeshare terms- visit from a friend). Compare that with my week in Myrtle Beach which easily receives TPUs in the mid-20s. The MF on that is way lower than MF @KBV although that is not oceanfront week.

Thank you. That is helpful.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So 20 TPU, for $668 total including RCI exchange fee isn't that bad. You get a mid-level resort. For someone looking for an extra week of vacation, it's not terrible. Compared to purchasing an RCI Extra Vacation or a Last Call Vacation, it's a little more, but provides more time flexibility. But a savvy purchaser can spend a lot less. Again, I don't know how Points in the RCI Points system translates to TPUs in the Weeks system, but the Last Call vacations, which are those within 45 days of the check-in date, cost ~8500 Points or less plus exchange fee in the Points system. You can get some very nice resorts if you look around and are flexible. My 2BR KBV unit, for reference, gives me 90,000 Points for trading, and costs about 124,000 Points to get in if available. I think a 1BR at KBV costs 104,000 Points to get in.

But someone at GP suggested that they came up with 20 TPU because it was the equivalent of a July week at the KBV resort. It doesn't seem to be that way. And I thought, since Hawaii is a Red Week all year 'round, that value wouldn't fluctuate with the seasons?

Jeff

DNRNFV

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this but given the original intent of this thread, this is as good a place as any :). I had a fantastic experience calling into KBV today! "Kate" was the person who took my call. I had an RCI booking at KBV for my 88-year old Mom and my sister and needed to add my sister since she was going to arrive at KBV first. That was a simple request, easily and professionally handled. Then came a harder one--I have two units at KBV but like a doofus had left the reservation process too late--I needed a week Apr 21-28. I have been calling into GPX for over 2 months, every other day, with the same sad result--no rooms available. But Kate found a room for me--my one bedroom ocean view at that! It was fantastic news that allowed me to cancel a reservation at another resort (that cost $$$$). I needed that particular week for many reasons, not least of which I was the one planning our wedding in Kauai. Kate, you are life-saver! I heard her say "we try to do the very best we can for our owners" and after today I believe that is true. Lesson learned though--I will call the resort directly the next time I want to make a reservation.