• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai and Big Island Planning Questions

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Hi Guys,

We're getting close enough to our summer trip to Hawaii that I'm starting to think about making a loose itinerary and reservations for some activities. We're spending one week on the Big Island, staying in Kona and one week on Kauai staying in Kapaa. I'm hoping for some help from you veterans on some activities!

@slip and anyone else who has done the Kauai Backcountry tubing - it looks like I should make my reservations for it pretty soon - would you say there is a preferred day or the week or time of day I should go for?

How about snuba, anyone done it and recommend doing it? Any specific recommendations? Big Island or Kauai?

What about ziplining? Any specific recommendations? Big Island or Kauai?

If I'm being honest, the more I research them more I think we're going to like Kauai better, but I'm looking forward to checking both out!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Hi Guys,

We're getting close enough to our summer trip to Hawaii that I'm starting to think about making a loose itinerary and reservations for some activities. We're spending one week on the Big Island, staying in Kona and one week on Kauai staying in Kapaa. I'm hoping for some help from you veterans on some activities!

@slip and anyone else who has done the Kauai Backcountry tubing - it looks like I should make my reservations for it pretty soon - would you say there is a preferred day or the week or time of day I should go for?

How about snuba, anyone done it and recommend doing it? Any specific recommendations? Big Island or Kauai?

What about ziplining? Any specific recommendations? Big Island or Kauai?

If I'm being honest, the more I research them more I think we're going to like Kauai better, but I'm looking forward to checking both out!

Don’t worry, you’ll like the Big Island and Kona. :thumbup:

I would go ahead and book the tubing. In the summer it maybe better to go with one of the earlier times. It may be hot in the afternoon. During the winter the earlier times can be a little too cold. Day of the week shouldn’t matter. The people they have working there make it fun.

My wife and kids did the zip line on Kauai with Backcountry Outfitters. They are the same ones who have the tubing. You can check the schedule on that.

https://kauaibackcountry.com/

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Thanks Jeff!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
First Congratulations. Have a great time. Do not know what you like to do.

Kauai: Remember ther is only 1 two lane Hwy from north to south. Down south you have Waimea Canyon. To do this properly is about a day. Take a picnic lunch. Drive to the top. Resist the turn outs. Drive as far as you can and then hike past the top parking a bit. There are several View Points up there. Have your picnic lunch in the Park at the top. Then stop at all or most of the View Points on your way down. There is the Kauai Coffee Planation. There is zip lining in Koloa. There is an inner tube float down the old sugar cane canals in Lihue. There is Poipu Beach. There is the Alakai Swamp Trail. There are Cruises out of Hanapepe Bay to the Napali Cliffs and snorkeling. There is the Spouting Horn. There is the Mala'ulepu Trail that starts on the top of the Cliffs just north of Shipwreck's Beach. There is the Makauwahi Cave. Almost forgot about the light house - a National Park. Also a bird nesting area. Luau: some of the large Hotels have Luau. The two I would recommend are Kilohana just outside of Lihue or Smith Family by Kapa'a. Kilohana has the more traditional entertainment telling the Polynesian story through song and dance. Smith Family has greater diversity to honor the many people that have emigrated to the Islands. Remember Poi is not a dish by itself but to dip your Pork. There is Anini Beach. The town of Hanalei. The beach at Hanalei. The Road to Ke'e Beach (end of road) is not open. There were major storms last April that caused a lot of damage on the north shore. Kayaking up the Wailua River to the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls. It is about a mile hike to the falls. Sometimes the trail is very muddy. In Lihue there is a Costco. Cheapest gas on the Island by a lot. Great Fish Tacos at the Food Truck by Hanalei Pier. Some of the best Chili Pepper Chicken is at the Chevron Station in Priceville. Best Loco Moco is at the Food Shack on the side of the Sueoka's Market in Koloa. Jump off the Cliff just north of Shipwreck Beach and swim to Shipwreck Beaxh.

BI: snorkel trips with Sea Quest out of Keauhou Bay. These include Captain Cook's Monument and Two Step. They also have night time snorkel trips with the Manta Rays. This was pretty stunning. Drive to the top of Mauna Kea remember to stop for about 45 minutes at the Visitor Center to acclimatize to the altitude. Remember it is almost 14,000 feet at the top. Coffee Planation galore. We like Greenwell Farms. Drive to South Point. Most Southern Point of the USA. Jump off the Cliff into the ocean. There is a ladder in the Cliff to climb back up. There is the town of Hilo.

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Adding to @geist1223 post: On Kauai, try Hamura's in Lihue for saimin and noodle dishes. Capt. Andy's Napali dinner cruise on their 60-foot catamarans offers a great dinner, and amazing scenery. www.napali.com. The Kauai Museum, on Rice St. in Lihue offers a great insight into the history of the island, and how it became the fascinating place it is today. Wailua Falls is free, and is a nice photo op. Watch for wild pigs and chickens in the parking area. Lunch and/or Happy Hour at Brennecke's at Poipu Beach. Lunch and/or Happy Hour at Olympic Cafe in Kapa'a. Lunch and/or Happy Hour at Kalypso in Hanalei. Breakfast at Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a. (Macadamia banana pancakes that are awesome! Huge, so get one and share it.) Kilauea Lighthouse - the northern-most point in [populated] Hawaii. And on and on and on. :)

If you happen to be military, or retired military, be sure to check the military base ticket offices for HUGE discounts on things to do on each of the islands. We've saved a lot that way. www.greatlifehawaii.com.

Dave

Last edited:

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wow, you guys are awesome!!!

I'm already sensing that this will be our first but not last Hawaii trip! So many things to check out!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow, you guys are awesome!!!

I'm already sensing that this will be our first but not last Hawaii trip! So many things to check out!

Experienced words of advice: Do NOT try and see it all. You just can't. Make some choices of some bigger things you want to do, and leave the others for future trips. Each island has its own appeal, and each island can easily fill a week or two or three all by itself. A huge part of visiting Hawaii is slowing down to "Island Time." Relax and soak in the experience. It's a very important part of being there. If you are on the go every minute, you won't enjoy yourself nearly as much. Have fun!

Dave

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Experienced words of advice: Do NOT try and see it all. You just can't. Make some choices of some bigger things you want to do, and leave the others for future trips. Each island has its own appeal, and each island can easily fill a week or two or three all by itself. A huge part of visiting Hawaii is slowing down to "Island Time." Relax and soak in the experience. It's a very important part of being there. If you are on the go every minute, you won't enjoy yourself nearly as much. Have fun!

Dave

Thanks for the wise advice! I'm thinking I'll plan one activity for every other day, and then just let it flow from there.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'll add some restaurant recommendations, although most of our favorites are not close to where you are staying in Kapa'a and Kona. We always stay in Poipu on Kauai and Waikoloa on the Big Island. All of these tend toward upscale, but casual, fine dining. We made it to all of these on our recent trip.

Kauai
  • The Beach House (Poipu Beach waterfront dining; Great for sunset; advance reservations days ahead a must for sunset; might be our favorite place on any of the islands)
  • Dukes Canoe Club (located in the Marriott Resort in Lihue. Gotta have the Hula Pie for dessert. This is the closest of our favorites to Kapa'a)
  • Merriman's Fish House (in Poipu's Shops at Kukui`ula)
  • Eating House 1849 by Roy Yamaguchi (also in Shops at Kukui`ula. A different concept from Roy's main chain).
  • Keoki's Paradise (in Poipu; similar to Dukes, same ownership).
I can second the recommendation for a Captain Andy's cruise. We did their Poipu Sunset Cocktail cruise, and it was excellent. In winter, seas were too rough to do Napali Coast, but your summer trip should offer better seas for Capt Andy's Napali tours.

Big Island
  • Merriman's Waimea (located in the upcountry ranch area, uphill from Waikoloa - great Big Island grass-fed beef, plus seafood selections)
  • Kamuela Provision Company (waterfront inside the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel; beautiful waterfront setting for sunsets; great drinks and food; the hotel is also a sight in and of itself - with a monorail and boats that connect the three buildings, plus the Dolphin Quest pavilion - like Disney World in Hawaii)
  • Lava Lava Beach Club (In Waikoloa Beach Resort complex; on the beach at Anaeho'omalu Bay [A-Bay]; sunset is very popular; call-ahead seating rather than reservations; can actually get a table in the sand)
  • Roy's Waikoloa (At Kings Shops in the Waikoloa Beach Resort; part of a larger chain, but a uniquely Hawaiian-style chain)

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My daughter did snuba with FairWinds on the Big Island. However, the last time we went (which was a few years ago) they weren't doing it any longer. Their website does say they offer it though. My daughter enjoyed it so much she did it twice on one trip. They gave her a deeply discounted price the second time out, and it was just she and the instructor. Even without the snuba a snorkel trip with them is great. They are the only boat allowed into Kealakekua Bay (or at least that's what I've heard).
https://www.fair-wind.com/

And, here is my list of restaurant recommendations for the Big Island:

Big Island restaurants, these are all places we’ve been and would recommend:

Starting at the “North” end and working south:

Hawi:

Bamboo Restaurant – we’ve only been for lunch, be sure they are open (I think they’re closed on Mondays)

Waimea:

Merrimans

Lilikoi Café – this is a tiny little kind of take out place, some friends of ours who lived in Kona recommended it. Really good for lunch. Kind of hard to find, it’s hidden on the back side of a shopping center.

Village Burger – order at the counter and pick up at the counter. There is seating in the center where it’s located, the seating is for all of the food court type restaurants there. It is highly rated and does have a decent burger.

Waikoloa Resort area:

Sensai Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - in the Queen’s Shopping Center. Had the best sushi roll I’ve ever had there. They have a pretty extensive menu, not just sushi.

Lava Lava Beach House – right on the beach, in fact you can sit in a table in the sand.

Waikoloa Village:

Pueo’s Osteria - very good Italian

Island Lava Java – a coffee place, but they have a nice menu. Ate dinner there our first night on the island. Not a fancy setting at all. The outdoor tables have a view of the parking lot.

Kohala coast resorts (these are all pricey, the food is good but we go for the atmosphere):

Four Seasons Hualailai – Ulu Ocean Grill, there is also the Beach Tree Bar (I’ve been there for lunch, not dinner)

Fairmont Orchid - Brown’s Beach House

Mana Lani - Canoe House

Kona:

Huggo’s (this is not the same as Huggo’s on the Rocks. We’ve been to the On the Rocks one and it’s good, very casual, but we really like Huggo’s

Kona Brewing Company & Pub – good pizza, nice local beer selection

Fish Hopper Seafood & Steaks

Kona Inn Restaurant – mostly for the atmosphere. We’ve only eaten lunch here.

South of Kona:

Keei Café

Coffee Shack – for breakfast

Volcano Village:

Kilauea Lodge – make a reservation if you’re going for dinner

Ohelo Café – Open for lunch and dinner, we’ve only been there for lunch.

Café Ono – part of a complex that has a one unit B&B and a gallery. Only open for lunch, vegetarian menu…..but very good.

Hilo:

Café Pesto

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
+1 for Cafe Pesto in Hilo. Excellent lunch location. :thumbup:

Dave

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Kona:

Huggo’s (this is not the same as Huggo’s on the Rocks. We’ve been to the On the Rocks one and it’s good, very casual, but we really like Huggo’s

Fish Hopper Seafood & Steaks

We really wanted to try Huggo's again during our time on the Big Island a couple of weeks ago, but we were never in Kona later on the afternoon when we could tie in a dinner there. Based on the menu at Lava Lava, it looked like they may have common ownership with Huggo's. We ate at Huggo's many years ago when we stayed at a hotel in Kona before we used timeshares.

We did have lunch at Fish Hopper after an AM parasail, and I thought it was very good. But that was our only day in Kona town. Would be a place to try to find a way to try for dinner in the future.

When you stay in Waikoloa, working the logistics of dinner in Kona can be challenging.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
+1 for Cafe Pesto in Hilo. Excellent lunch location. :thumbup:

Dave
So sad they closed their other location at Kawaihae Harbor. We loved going there for dinner when we were staying in Waikoloa.

Last edited:

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
You guys have given me so much to think about!

I forgot to ask about the night time snorkeling with manta rays near Kona, any recommendations on that?

• Kamuela Provision Company (waterfront inside the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel; beautiful waterfront setting for sunsets; great drinks and food; the hotel is also a sight in and of itself - with a monorail and boats that connect the three buildings, plus the Dolphin Quest pavilion - like Disney World in Hawaii)
  • Lava Lava Beach Club (In Waikoloa Beach Resort complex; on the beach at Anaeho'omalu Bay [A-Bay]; sunset is very popular; call-ahead seating rather than reservations; can actually get a table in the sand)
  • Roy's Waikoloa (At Kings Shops in the Waikoloa Beach Resort; part of a larger chain, but a uniquely Hawaiian-style chain)

My eye doctor was telling me about Waikoloa, he and his family had been there shortly after it opened and said it was lie nothing they had ever seen before. Sounds like quite the resort!

When you stay in Waikoloa, working the logistics of dinner in Kona can be challenging.

And I would assume the opposite is true, so maybe lunch at Waikoloa for us.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You guys have given me so much to think about!

I forgot to ask about the night time snorkeling with manta rays near Kona, any recommendations on that?

My eye doctor was telling me about Waikoloa, he and his family had been there shortly after it opened and said it was lie nothing they had ever seen before. Sounds like quite the resort!

If you have time walking around the Hilton Waikoloa resort is fun. For lunch there, something more casual and less expensive, is the Lagoon Grill which kind of overlooks the area where the dolphins are. All tables are outside. Parking at the hotel is expensive, but they may validate for valet if you eat there.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Plan at least one day to drive up from Kona to Hawi. Have lunch at the Bamboo Cafe. Cool old hotel building turned into a rustic restaurant. Great food. For dessert, go across the street to the ice cream shop. Very tasty! Drive around the town and see the port area, learn about the farm-country history of the area.

On the way back, stop and check out Waikoloa. Drive inland up through the town of Waimea, and see where Hawaiian cowboys (called Paniolo) come to town from Parker Ranch - it's sort of like Dodge City, Hawaiian Style. If it's time to eat again, stop in Waimea at Big Island Brewhaus for excellent local beer. Try the Green Chile Burger and a side of Garlic Fries. Awesome grinds!

Make beach time at one of the nice sandy beaches at the north end of the Big Island. (Fewer sandy beaches on the southern end, because the land is newer, and beaches haven't had time to form.) https://www.lovebigisland.com/big-island-beaches/

Great snorkeling from the beach at Two Step, next to the City of Refuge. https://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

Buy the Hawaii Revealed books from Wizard Publications. https://www.hawaiirevealed.com The layout of the books and maps are by Mile Marker, so as you're driving along, you can actually find things in a logical manner. They don't accept advertising, so what they put in their books is real life experiences. They are (arguably) the best travel books about Hawaii, by people who live there. Two big thumbs up for these books. They have a phone app, too. You can buy them online, or they sell them in Costco on the island.

Go to the southern end of the island, and see South Point, the Punalu'u Bakery in Na'alehu, and then the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach. Green sea turtles (Honu, to Hawaiians) like to haul out and sun themselves in the morning. Makes great images, to photograph these majestic creatures against the black sand. (Look, but don't touch.) https://www.gohawaii.com/islands/hawaii-big-island/regions/kau/punaluu-black-sand-beach

On the way down the hill on Highway 50 from Volcano National Park to Hilo, stop at the Akatsuka Orchid Farm. You'll see orchids of all shapes and sizes, many of which you won't see anywhere else. If you want to take one home, they'll pack and mail it to the Mainland for you.

If you're a macadamia fan, a stop at Mauna Loa Macadamia Factory is worth it. See how it all works, (free self tour), and stop in their gift shop. Many flavored varieties for sale there you won't see anywhere else.

In Hilo town, be sure to see the Tsunami Museum. Amazing photos and real-life experiences to read about. Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls are beautiful places to visit. Cafe Pesto in downtown Hilo is a great place for lunch. (They used to serve amazing Lilikoi iced tea, but I think I was told they no longer serve it. If they have it, get it.) On the way back to Kona, take the Saddle Road up and over Mauna Kea. It's only about a 90 minute drive that way, and saves a ton of time.

I mentioned earlier you can't see it all. This is why. The big Island is BIG, and there is a LOT to see there. Pick your options, and enjoy your time. Don't forget to slow down and enjoy Island Time. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Plan at least one day to drive up from Kona to Hawi. Have lunch at the Bamboo Cafe. Cool old hotel building turned into a rustic restaurant. Great food. For dessert, go across the street to the ice cream shop. Very tasty!
Dave
Yes, yes, yes!!!

Just be sure you don't go up there on a day when the Bamboo is closed. I think it's closed on Mondays, but double check.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
BI: snorkel trips with Sea Quest out of Keauhou Bay. These include Captain Cook's Monument and Two Step. They also have night time snorkel trips with the Manta Rays.

Patti and I loved snorkeling with the Manta Rays at night. It is a very short boat trip, barely out of the Harbour. They can be huge. They are like watching underwater ballet in slow motion. You do not even need to be much of a snorkeler. They have a long narrow flotation device with a railing to hang on to. It has lights on the bottom. They put a noodle under your ankles to keep your legs and feet up. You just hang and float there, look down, and watch the Manta Rays do barrel rolls within inches or feet of your position. They had to drag me back to the boat. It can vary how many Manta Rays show up. It can be zero to several. We had two. The larger was as big or bigger than out boat. If no show up they might offer you a day time snorkel trip.

There is another organization that goes in by the Airport. This is mainly set up for scuba but they do take snorkelers.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Yes, yes, yes!!!

Just be sure you don't go up there on a day when the Bamboo is closed. I think it's closed on Mondays, but double check.

Another food option in Hawi is Sushi Rock.

Great town to visit is Honokaa - old plantation town with a great hometown restaurant (breakfast and lunch) - Gramma's. Also a trek to the Waipio Valley Overlook. If you want a great experience in the Valley, there is a horseback or wagon ride with Naalapa Stables - http://www.naalapastables.com/. And for the best malasadas (portugese donuts) on the island - Tex Drive In

Do as much or as little as necessary, this is an incredible island!

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
Lots of great ideas above (you'll need at least 3 months on each island :) to complete all). A few things not yet mentioned:

For Big Island - definitely consider a helicopter ride over the volcano! There are some options you can easily find online (can't say any specifics cuz of the rules regarding advertising on this forum) but one of them offers $50 off if do on line (call first to ask about this, then do on-line). My son just went a few weeks ago - we were on Kauai and he made a special trip to the Big Island just to spend a day there to do this and spend a few hours at the park) and said it was great. Bring a jacket though - especially if you take one of the helicopter options that offer "doors open" (to take better photos).

For Kauai - Check out Limahuli Garden & Preserve, it's a national botanical garden but it has a fascinating tour (can be self guided) about how the ancient Hawaiians managed their land that was subdivided by the chief using ahupua`a, the basic self-sustaining unit that were wedge shaped boundaries that extended from the mountain to the sea. (I just looked up their website and they indicate they are closed due to flooding but may be open by the time you get there.)

Aloha!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Lots of great ideas above (you'll need at least 3 months on each island :) to complete all). A few things not yet mentioned:

For Big Island - definitely consider a helicopter ride over the volcano! There are some options you can easily find online (can't say any specifics cuz of the rules regarding advertising on this forum) but one of them offers $50 off if do on line (call first to ask about this, then do on-line). My son just went a few weeks ago - we were on Kauai and he made a special trip to the Big Island just to spend a day there to do this and spend a few hours at the park) and said it was great. Bring a jacket though - especially if you take one of the helicopter options that offer "doors open" (to take better photos).

For Kauai - Check out Limahuli Garden & Preserve, it's a national botanical garden but it has a fascinating tour (can be self guided) about how the ancient Hawaiians managed their land that was subdivided by the chief using ahupua`a, the basic self-sustaining unit that were wedge shaped boundaries that extended from the mountain to the sea. (I just looked up their website and they indicate they are closed due to flooding but may be open by the time you get there.)

Aloha!

Just be aware that if you do a helicopter on the Big Island, unless something changes in the months ahead, you will not see lava flowing anywhere. The volcano stopped erupting last fall, and for the first time in like 30 years there is no active lava anywhere on the island. I'm sure it's fascinating to see the Leilani Estates subdivision that was inundated with lava last summer, but just don't expect to see anything "red". Kauai is another great place to do a helicopter ride. We've flown on Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island and the ride we did on Kauai many years ago was the most spectacular of all. So much of the island is inaccessible by car, helicopter is the only way to see it.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fairwind does offer Snuba on each trip - Chris is usually the instructor on the boat and he’s great. I’d choose Snuba in Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook) over Kona hands down! You often see eels and always more variety of fish there during the Snuba experience. (I was on the Fairwind several times this winter.)
If you do one of the daytime snorkel trips, they’ll offer a discount for the manta night snorkel trip - which is not to be missed!

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Aloha!
Having recently returned from an extended stay on the North Shore of Kauai,I wouldn’t plan on the Limahuli garden being open during your stay.The good news is that repairs and restoration of the garden are proceeding better than initially expected. That Has to be tempered with the fact that it may be sometime before the highway is open again, at least the way it was before the April 2018 flood. I find the best source of news is the island newspaper, the Garden News.
We did check out two other arboretums in the Princeville area: the Na ‘Ains Kai Botanica gardens & sculpture park and the Princeville Botanical Gardens.
In 2017 we toured the Allerton Garden in Koloa and enjoyed.
Na ‘Ains was expensive but a friend gave us a 2 for one certificate.
Princeville BG is privately owned but very interesting. Since you can revisit after a paid admission, we wanted to go Back for a picnic before we left but time ran out. Unfortunately, the owners are near retirement age and the property is for sale. I hope that a like-minded buyer continues what they have done.