TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Kamaaina Rates

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by jcjohns91107, Jun 26, 2018.

1. jcjohns91107

jcjohns91107 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton
    I've read that it's possible to bring your Hawaii timeshare deed to the DMV in Kona and you can get a resdient card that will get you te local rates at the golf courses. Anyone try this? Technically you own property in HI.

2. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Not sure where you heard that. When I did some checking you need a Hawaii state id. This is what is required to get one:

Before heading out to the Kona Driver Licensing Office, be sure to bring the following documents:

• Legal Name (birth certificate, US passport, marriage certificate)
    • Date of Birth (birth certificate, US passport, driver license)
    • Legal Presence that prove you are legally in the US (birth certificate, US passport)
    • Social Security Number (Social Security Card, W-2, 1099 Form)
    • Hawaii Principal Residence (2 documents required: voter registration card, pay statement, utility bill, bank statement)

https://www.hawaiilife.com/blog/what-are-kamaaina-discounts/

And in doing more checking it looks like there may be people who have gotten an id card with a deed, but they did need other info as well. You can read a discussion about that here (note this discussion was from 2005, things may have changed):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...re_owners_inside_information-Maui_Hawaii.html

And this from 2013. Looks like what might trip you up is the requirement for two documents showing residence (this is from the official Department of Transportation website):

OBTAINING A HAWAII STATE IDENTIFICATION CARD
    UNDER HAWAII’S DOCUMENTARY PROOF REQUIREMENTS

Beginning January 2, 2013, each individual applying for an initial Hawaii State Identification Card will be required to provide documentary proof of:

• Legal name and date of birth
    • Legal Presence
    • Social Security Number
    • Proof of Principal Residence (Two documents required)
    Bottom line, I guess you could go to the DMV with all of the required documentation, but only one proof of principal residence, and see what happens.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. sjsharkie

sjsharkie TUG Member

I know people who have done it. I'm not going to list how here because it seems like skirting the intent of the rules, but frankly it is easy to get if you know someone who lives in Hawaii.

You should go to the list on the hawaii government website to see all of the qualifying documents to prove residence. The reference Luanne posted is not complete:

https://www.honolulu.gov/cms-csd-menu/site-csd-sitearticles/6439-state-id-info-and-requirements.html

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. sjsharkie

sjsharkie TUG Member

To specifically answer your question, timeshare deed alone is not enough. See docs link I posted above.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. jcjohns91107

jcjohns91107 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton
    Thanks.

6. jcjohns91107

jcjohns91107 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton
    Thanks. I have a good friend who lives in HI. Maybe I'll use their address.

7. lynne

lynne TUG Member

After we purchased our initial home here in Hawaii in 2001, we were still living in NY and had to provide quite a bit of documentation before getting our Hawaii State ID. It took at least two hours and we had an appointment. We did have to 'prove' that we owned a home here and show utility bills as well as house deed/property tax info. After we finally moved here permanently in 2006, we applied for our Hawaii Drivers Licences.

You will need 'original' documents and not copies of birth, marriage certificate and SS Card. It does look as if you need to be a time-share owner for a period of 6 months in order to qualify based on the DOT requirements:

Current property tax assessment form
    Receipt for personal property taxes paid
    Residential rental or time-share agreement for six months or more

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018