• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just starting timeshares

JoshuaP

Reaction score
I bought a Whyndham discovery package, but I am going to to rescind it after reading the forums. I want to try rentals through this forum first and I am interested in resale. I am only interested in points with out a maintenance fee. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems all resales are full timeshare packages with maintenance fees included. I am not looking for maintenance fees or any kind of obligations. How do I successfully use the timeshare system without including Whydham?

FrankB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV at Parkway
Are there really timeshares without Maintenance fees? I have not see any of those yet. To my understanding, all timeshares whether they be points or weeks based carry some kind of Maintenance fees. However, you may find some with really low Maintenance fees and a high points return or prime week (usually the summer weeks unless it is a ski resort or Las Vegas). It depends on how desirable the location is as well! I am sure the veterans/experts will chime in. Hope this helps but I can tell you...you came to the right place. I have learned so much in such a short time!

If I am wrong I do apologize on the Maintenance Fees part!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Try renting from an Owner. That's the only way I know of to avoid "any kind of obligation."

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Join Tug, then look at Tug Marketplace rentals. Most timeshare have maintenance fees, some of the ones with low maintenance fees are not as luxurious as some with high maintenance fees. But they are nice, depends on what accommodations you are looking for. You will find a lot of good advice on TUg
Welcome!
Silentg

JoshuaP

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I don't think it is possible, but I was referring to just buying points not the timeshare itself. It looks like that isn't possible. My best move like Dave said is to just do rentals from owners! I am excited about that prospect since there are such a big pool of timeshares.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you everyone. I don't think it is possible, but I was referring to just buying points not the timeshare itself. It looks like that isn't possible. My best move like Dave said is to just do rentals from owners! I am excited about that prospect since there are such a big pool of timeshares.

Renting is also a great way to get your timesharing feet wet. You can learn what systems you like, what kind of amenities you want, and so forth. (Do you HAVE to have granite countertops, or will laminate work, for the few days you'll be staying there? It can come down to things like that.) After you've done that a few times, you'll have a better idea of whether you want to own. Maintenance fees are not the worst part of owning a timeshare, but you want to make sure the money you're spending is being properly used to maintain the resort. (And those granite countertops can be what higher maintenance fees are being spent on.)

As for a points-only ownership, without buying a specific location, you can look at Wyndham, and also WorldMark. Depending on where you live and like to vacation, WorldMark is a pretty good option. If you live in an area not served well by WorldMark, then Wyndham is a good alternate option.

Dave

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

Josh, yes that is correct. Whether buying points or weeks, either way you ARE buying into the timeshare itself. All timeshares require MFs, that is the primary revenue stream that is used for upkeep of the properties. No revenue, no upkeep, simple as that. Can’t get something for nothing. Rental is your best option if you don’t ever foresee yourself considering a timeshare purchase in the future.

Certainly lots of us timeshare owners out there that would be willing to rent points or bookings to folks like you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Renting is also a great way to get your timesharing feet wet. You can learn what systems you like, what kind of amenities you want, and so forth. (Do you HAVE to have granite countertops, or will laminate work, for the few days you'll be staying there? It can come down to things like that.) After you've done that a few times, you'll have a better idea of whether you want to own. Maintenance fees are not the worst part of owning a timeshare, but you want to make sure the money you're spending is being properly used to maintain the resort. (And those granite countertops can be what higher maintenance fees are being spent on.)

As for a points-only ownership, without buying a specific location, you can look at Wyndham, and also WorldMark. Depending on where you live and like to vacation, WorldMark is a pretty good option. If you live in an area not served well by WorldMark, then Wyndham is a good alternate option.

Dave

Slight tangent but: it’s not all about the amenities when you’re talking about costs. Frequently the most significant difference is convenience/hassle factor. An expensive timeshare might have 15 luggage carts down by the elevator, so you don’t have to hunt one down like you might have to at a less-expensive timeshare. You might get your coffee supply replenished as needed at a more expensive timeshare, vs be told you’re only allowed one “starter” packet of coffee at a less expensive timeshare. You might have a restaurant on site at an expensive timeshare vs needing to head off site on the first night after a long day of travel, or make a grocery run and fix yourself something, at a less expensive timeshare. The more expensive TS might be ski in/ski out while the less expensive one is a 15 min drive and then you need to find parking. And so on...

It’s not really entirely about a “need for granite”. Sometimes it’s about wanting things to be a little easier on your well-earned vacation. Sometimes those little extras are worth it to people. Sometimes people don’t care about those things, or they’d rather save money and deal with a little more hassle if necessary.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Slight tangent but: it’s not all about the amenities when you’re talking about costs. Frequently the most significant difference is convenience/hassle factor. An expensive timeshare might have 15 luggage carts down by the elevator, so you don’t have to hunt one down like you might have to at a less-expensive timeshare. You might get your coffee supply replenished as needed at a more expensive timeshare, vs be told you’re only allowed one “starter” packet of coffee at a less expensive timeshare. You might have a restaurant on site at an expensive timeshare vs needing to head off site on the first night after a long day of travel, or make a grocery run and fix yourself something, at a less expensive timeshare. The more expensive TS might be ski in/ski out while the less expensive one is a 15 min drive and then you need to find parking. And so on...

It’s not really entirely about a “need for granite”. Sometimes it’s about wanting things to be a little easier on your well-earned vacation. Sometimes those little extras are worth it to people. Sometimes people don’t care about those things, or they’d rather save money and deal with a little more hassle if necessary.

Note that I said it could come down to that. What you’ve described is also part of the equation. Renting will give OP the chance to see what does and doesn’t work for him.

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Note that I said it could come down to that. What you’ve described is also part of the equation. Renting will give OP the chance to see what does and doesn’t work for him.

Dave

Yes but you emphasized something pretty superficial- granite countertops. The biggest difference between the higher and lower end timeshares IMO is not in the superficials. It’s in the experience as delivered by the TS being better/more user-friendly.

This doesn’t always matter to the overall vacation experience- people can make their own excellent experiences from very basic accommodations.

But it just struck me that you were implying that the differences were all in superficialities, when I’m sure you’ve been doing this enough that you know it’s not all about that. Whereas a rank newby may not, he/she might think “well I can for sure forgo granite” only to be frustrated to Schlep a week’s worth of stuff to his/her unit, bag by bag, because a luggage cart is unavailable on day 1. Etc.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes but you emphasized something pretty superficial- granite countertops. The biggest difference between the higher and lower end timeshares IMO is not in the superficials. It’s in the experience as delivered by the TS being better/more user-friendly.

This doesn’t always matter to the overall vacation experience- people can make their own excellent experiences from very basic accommodations.

But it just struck me that you were implying that the differences were all in superficialities, when I’m sure you’ve been doing this enough that you know it’s not all about that. Whereas a rank newby may not, he/she might think “well I can for sure forgo granite” only to be frustrated to Schlep a week’s worth of stuff to his/her unit, bag by bag, because a luggage cart is unavailable on day 1. Etc.

I agree there are many factors involved in determining maintenance fees. Your points are well taken, and I did not mean to imply that my example was ALL that might be different. My larger point was that sometimes maintenance fees can be raised to cover the cost of things that may seem unnecessary, and that may not contribute to the overall value of the experience.

I hope OP will explore any timeshares he is considering to determine exactly what is covered.

Dave

JoshuaP

Reaction score
I learned something new that buying a timeshare at the resort you like is important. The reps don't explain that they just explain the point system. I thought the MF was a giant pool of money for every resort not specifically where I bought a timeshare. Which makes the MF seem a little bit more reasonable. I am still going to rent first to get my feet wet! Do people ever get scammed while renting? Is there any rental tips that I need to know?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I learned something new that buying a timeshare at the resort you like is important. The reps don't explain that they just explain the point system. I thought the MF was a giant pool of money for every resort not specifically where I bought a timeshare. Which makes the MF seem a little bit more reasonable. I am still going to rent first to get my feet wet! Do people ever get scammed while renting? Is there any rental tips that I need to know?

Start here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ntal-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

TS comes in all kinds of forms. Your description (one MF pot for all resorts in the system) is fairly accurate for systems like Worldmark or Vacation Internationale. In those programs, you are a tiny owner in all the properties (via an owners trust or similar instrument) and your MF support the whole program vs owning at a specific resort that gives you points for use in the system (like HGVC).