• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just signed with Vacation Village + RCI. Question.

ferrerorocher

Reaction score
I'm still in the 5 day limbo period, but I have some specific questions.

My base is in Palm Springs, and I plan on using the TS for international travel. I noticed Vacation Village only has domestic TS, but the VV gave me a big RCI catalog for exchanges (I did the "swing" season and "floating" weeks (2) option).

I want to travel to big, European cities first and noticed there aren't a lot of options that aren't in the country of these countries (ex: Corfu in Greece but not Santorini or Mykonos). My brother and his gf want to go to Costa Rica soon and were looking to stay in San Jose, but almost all the Costa Rica options are in the province of Guanacaste. I want to go to the South of France, but there is only one, unappealing option in Nice, France. I hope that makes sense!

Does VV and/or RCI partner with popular/common hotels from which I can pick and stay in big cities like Rome, Paris, London, Istanbul, etc.? That's the part I didn't understand in the Timeshare 101 thread. TBH, I only absorbed 60% of that info and have been sifting through papers/websites trying to answer other questions specific to my TS. My mother was the one who signed our family up for this, and I'm just trying to accurately understand the situation/see if it's beneficial for our needs before it's too late.

Looking forward to your insights! Thank you.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still in the 5 day limbo period, but I have some specific questions.

My base is in Palm Springs, and I plan on using the TS for international travel. I noticed Vacation Village only has domestic TS, but the VV gave me a big RCI catalog for exchanges (I did the "swing" season and "floating" weeks (2) option).

I want to travel to big, European cities first and noticed there aren't a lot of options that aren't in the country of these countries (ex: Corfu in Greece but not Santorini or Mykonos). My brother and his gf want to go to Costa Rica soon and were looking to stay in San Jose, but almost all the Costa Rica options are in the province of Guanacaste. I want to go to the South of France, but there is only one, unappealing option in Nice, France. I hope that makes sense!

Does VV and/or RCI partner with popular/common hotels from which I can pick and stay in big cities like Rome, Paris, London, Istanbul, etc.? That's the part I didn't understand in the Timeshare 101 thread. TBH, I only absorbed 60% of that info and have been sifting through papers/websites trying to answer other questions specific to my TS. My mother was the one who signed our family up for this, and I'm just trying to accurately understand the situation/see if it's beneficial for our needs before it's too late.

Looking forward to your insights! Thank you.

It sounds like Mom bought from the developer and that she's still in the time frame to rescind the contract. I would say that since you have all these unanswered questions that it is best to take this one opportunity to get out of this overpriced developer purchase. Then take your time to research what timeshare program will best suit the vacation needs of your family. Once outside the rescind period, it will be too late if this timeshare system doesn't get you where you want to go. You will then find selling or getting rid of this timeshare will be very difficult and the value will have dropped to pennies on the dollar.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I own with VV; they do not partner with hotels. RCI doesn’t really either, but instead has a travel agency service through an associated company. Your best bet would be to rescind the purchase; look over the bargain basement listings of weeks you can get at the same resort for $1. VV does offer some benefits for direct purchase, but they aren’t really worth the cost in my opinion.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to save your mom thousands of dollars!

she should most certainly rescind as what she paid for that resort from the developer can buy just about anything on the resale market (with likely far better results for exchanging too)

ferrerorocher

Reaction score
It sounds like Mom bought from the developer and that she's still in the time frame to rescind the contract. I would say that since you have all these unanswered questions that it is best to take this one opportunity to get out of this overpriced developer purchase. Then take your time to research what timeshare program will best suit the vacation needs of your family. Once outside the rescind period, it will be too late if this timeshare system doesn't get you where you want to go. You will then find selling or getting rid of this timeshare will be very difficult and the value will have dropped to pennies on the dollar.
Thank you. I FedExed the signed rescission paper today.
I own with VV; they do not partner with hotels. RCI doesn’t really either, but instead has a travel agency service through an associated company. Your best bet would be to rescind the purchase; look over the bargain basement listings of weeks you can get at the same resort for $1. VV does offer some benefits for direct purchase, but they aren’t really worth the cost in my opinion.
I sent a rescission slip back to the suckers this morning!! Thank you for your Vacation Village + RCI specific insight, too.
congrats on finding TUG in time to save your mom thousands of dollars!

she should most certainly rescind as what she paid for that resort from the developer can buy just about anything on the resale market (with likely far better results for exchanging too)
Would you be kind of enough to redirect me to a section that delves into the basics of what you just said?

She paid $6000, the cost is $239 for exchanges, and she bought 2 weeks. Do you mean just regular realty by "resale market" or is that TS jargon?

From your knowledge, what would best suit a family that won't be able to vacation plan more that 4-5 months in advance, wants to travel mostly internationally (Europe, Central America, Northern Africa, SE Asia), and are luxury hotel snobs? Are there any vacation and/or exchange companies would fit that mold?

I am so grateful for having found your site. :) I was mad at mom for pulling the trigger so impulsively, but the poor thing just gave into the aggressive sales pitch during her girls' Vegas trip lol.

Again, please feel free to redirect me to a section of the site that may already address these questions if you don't want to answer redundant questions.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha...thats a loaded question!

I would absolutely suggest going to the newbies section and starting a new thread by answering the questions about your first timeshare ownership.

this is used by hundreds of owners to really let the site give you solid suggestions on what and where to buy for your first ownership, or even if ownership is right for you!

folks can spend hours and hours reading about timeshares and not even scratch the surface...its generally much easier to narrow down a target or eliminate obvious things that WONT work for your needs than trying to learn it all!

rest assured you wont be missing out on anything, the resale market has been at rock bottom for nearly a decade...and shows no signs of improving. you will easily be able to find what works best for you for pennies on the dollar even if it takes a few months!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I FedExed the signed rescission paper today.

I sent a rescission slip back to the suckers this morning!! Thank you for your Vacation Village + RCI specific insight, too.

Do the rescission instructions say to Fed Ex the letter or do they say to send it via certified mail? Check the rescission instructions carefully and follow them exactly. As for the "rescission slip", make sure you have the send the right documents and that your mother signs it seeing that she was the one who signed the original contract.

Again, follow the rescission instructions carefully.

ferrerorocher

Reaction score
Do the rescission instructions say to Fed Ex the letter or do they say to send it via certified mail? Check the rescission instructions carefully and follow them exactly. As for the "rescission slip", make sure you have the send the right documents and that your mother signs it seeing that she was the one who signed the original contract.

Again, follow the rescission instructions carefully.
"The notice of cancellation may be delivered personally to the developer, sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, or sent by express, priority or recognized overnight delivery service, with proof service, to the business address of the developer."

Post offices are closed here in the US today for Veteran's Day (just my luck). I did Fedex Express 1-3 delivery. That should be okay, right??

Should I run out and do it again? I made copies.

Now I'm nervous again.

ferrerorocher

Reaction score
Anyone have an input of whether or not me FedExing the rescission form was okay based on those words above?? ^^

I'm starting to get aggrevated because even though they gave 5 days, 1 day is a Saturday on Veterans' Day and the other is a Sunday!!!! Post offices are closed! My mother didn't come home with the paperwork until the night of the 3rd day, either.

I still have the 5th day (tomorrow) to try a last ditch effort to mail that sh*t through another means, but IDK. I feel defeated.

Should I go to a USPS Self-Service koisk in the morning and re-send? It probably won't be postmarked until Monday, but at least the shipping label will printed by the 5th day?? Arrrgghh.

ferrerorocher

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm new to rescission laws and just discovered that federal holidays and Sundays aren't to be included. I'm going to Certify Mail that crap first thing Monday morning (4th business day).

Thank goodness for that - felt an anxiety attack ensuing. Serves me right for relying on random people's posts about rescission laws haha.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I FedExed the signed rescission paper today.

FedEx? Sending rescission by FedEx, email, DHL, UPS, or fax may be unwise and / or inadequate. Send it by certified U.S. mail --- as the contract language plainly states. The postmark date of the rescission correspodence is all that really matters; date of actual later delivery and receipt is irrelevant.

I respectfully suggest repeating the exercise, sending your rescission correspondence to the specified address by certified U.S. Mail. Save the USPS counter issued, date stamped receipt. You do not want a procedural error to delay, derail or muddy up the rescission --- this is a finite, one time opportunity.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
....I'm new to rescission laws and just discovered that federal holidays and Sundays aren't to be included. I'm going to Certify Mail that crap first thing Monday morning (4th business day).

Rescission time period is specifically addressed by individual state laws, with time frames ranging from as few as 3 days (MA, et al) to 10 days (FL, TN). Details for individual state laws can actually be found via a "sticky" right here on TUG. Some states clearly specify calendar days, some states clearly indicate business days, some are completely silent on distinguishing between calendar days and business days. In any case, contract rescission is a one-time opportunity, so don't delay and don't drop the ball.

Last edited:

ferrerorocher

Reaction score
Sending rescission by FedEx, email, DHL, UPS, fax or carrier pigeon may be unwise and / or inadequate. Send it by certified U.S. mail.
The postmark date of your rescission correspodence is all that really matters; date of actual delivery and /or receipt is irrelevant.

I respectfully suggest repeating the exercise, sending your rescission correspondence to the specified address by certified U.S. Mail. Save the USPS counter issued, date stamped receipt. You do not want a procedural error to derail or muddy your rescission --- a time limited, one time opportunity.
Rescission time period is specifically addressed by individual state laws, with time frames ranging from as few as 3 days (MA, et al) to 10 days (FL, TN). Details for individual state laws can actually be found via a "sticky" right here on TUG. Some states clearly specify calendar days, some states clearly indicate business days, some are completely silent on distinguishing between calendar days and business days. In any case, rescission is a one-time opportunity, so don't delay or drop the ball.
The contract says 5 CALENDAR days, so I guess I'm effing SCREWED. Today is the 5th calendar day.

I can try by getting certified mail at a USPS self-service koisk, but I don't think it's the same as getting it postmarked by hand.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The contract says 5 CALENDAR days, so I guess I'm effing SCREWED. Today is the 5th calendar day.

I can try by getting certified mail at a USPS self-service koisk, but I don't think it's the same as getting it postmarked by hand.

1. State law language is what matters, not the developer contract identified period (although they really should be exactly the same). The rescission period provided by a developer can be longer than the applicable state law period (although that never actually happens), but it cannot lawfully be any shorter than the state law-identified time period. The law prevails, regardless of developer whims or wishes or contract language --- and the state rescission law that applies is the state in which the contract was actually executed, even if the timeshare purchased is located in a different state.

2. All is not necessarily lost. Your FedExed version might be accepted, but complete the certified mail process anyhow --- ASAP! Also, bear in mind that the clock actually begins ticking on the day following contract execution. In other words, the day of contract signature is not "day one" of the rescission period.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, many resorts use pre-printed contracts with generic language (or ones from different states or the state the corporate office is in). they will also pretend this is an "accident" no doubt if challenged.

state law still applies, and whatever state you signed the contract in will be the one that matters.

ferrerorocher

Reaction score
1. State law language is what matters, not the developer contract identified period (although they really should be exactly the same). The rescission period provided by a developer can be longer than the applicable state law period (although that never actually happens), but it cannot lawfully be any shorter than the state law-identified time period. The law prevails, regardless of developer whims or wishes or contract language --- and the state rescission law that applies is the state in which the contract was actually executed, even if the timeshare purchased is located in a different state.

2. All is not necessarily lost. Your FedExed version might be accepted, but complete the certified mail process anyhow --- ASAP! Also, bear in mind that the clock actually begins ticking on the day following contract execution. In other words, the day of contract signature is not "day one" of the rescission period.

Good luck.
yes, many resorts use pre-printed contracts with generic language (or ones from different states or the state the corporate office is in). they will also pretend this is an "accident" no doubt if challenged.

state law still applies, and whatever state you signed the contract in will be the one that matters.

It was signed in Nevada, which, from my understanding, doesn't have a time period written in law like, say, Florida with its 7 days.

Anyway, I went and sent a certified mail with a return receipt from a self-service kiosk at the post office on Sunday (the 5th calendar day and even though it's not as good as getting it postmarked :( ). Also filed a dispute with Visa as a back up.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score