TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Just signed up for Welk Resort Platinum, considering canceling

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by iPenguin02, Aug 19, 2018.

1. iPenguin02

iPenguin02 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Resort
    I literally just signed up for the Welk Resort Platinum Timeshare at the Escondido location. My deal was $13,040 with the $995 closing, $1065 VOA, getting us 120,00 points EOY. Based on what I was reading in this forum and others and all signs point towards canceling ASAP. In the life of the loan, I would end up paying $26,000+, and I looked on Ebay, I would get more points annually for a fraction of the cost. if I were to cancel and decide to buy from Ebay or any other outlet would that hinder Welk from approving in any way? What is the difference between the developer deal I got today and the deals i'm seeing on forums and Ebay?

I'm new to the whole timeshare thing and it was very enticing. The property is very beautiful and the RCI partnership/exchange makes it look worth while. But on the forums, and other sites, I am reading that it is very difficult to exchange the points for a stay on dates that you want even at one of Welks own resorts. Can anyone give me more insight to this? Sounds like I would need to see whats available and plan accordingly based on that.

One of the main reasons my girlfriend and I decided to sign up was just to stay on the property. The salesman explained that it would be best to use the RCI program, so I could get a free bonus week and pay to stay at Welk at the 'Owner' rate. Escondido rate being; 1 Bedroom (small) $129, 1 Bedroom (large) $159, 2 Bedroom (small+large combined) $199. No deal on the 3 room villas. Realistically, how difficult is it to book just a weekend stay at the Resort, lets say 2 weeks-1 month in advanced. I tried using my contract number to sign in, but I can't. Sounds like I'd have to wait until Monday to call and get that fixed.

In the contract is says I have to mail a letter. I read the canceling a timeshare page on TUG and I have a few questions regarding the wording. Text is below. I intend on using the template from the TUG page, I assume I should date it, do I need to send it certified mail or regular mail works just as long as the post mark date is dated before the 7 days? I know the resort has no obligation to keep me updated, but should I still include a statement to be emailed once the process of cancellation has started? Should the note be hand written or typed and signed? I can't find any information on what is facsimile, is that FAX?

They gave us a free RCI Bonus week as part of the signup. At least I'll get to do my cruise and whale watching trip just for taking the tour. Although, I heard it is a pain to get the cruise scheduled.

My girlfriend and I would like to travel more and timeshares seem like the way to go. Welk seemed great because of all their partners such as Disney. Like I started, I am new to Timeshares, any extra info/knowledge you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long read, thanks in advanced.

2. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    You should definitely rescind your purchase immediately. Follow the instructions. Don’t go back to the sales office as they will just try to talk you out of rescinding.

We are prior owners of Welk and have stayed at the Escondido property and a couple others many times. 120k points will only get you the smaller 1BR side for one week. The only owner benefit you lose by buying points on the resale market is the discount you get if you rent extra nights from the resort. Trades through RCI can be done but they charge an exchange fee of several hundred dollars.

Timesharing is a great way to vacation if you can plan ahead, especially if you travel during peak seasons. Do more research on the various systems available and then decide what works best for you. TUG is a great resource, so congratulations on finding the site.

Best regards.

Mike

3. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

I will add to mjm/Mike's comments. Take lots of time to research all the ins and outs of timeshares, especially owning one. Some would suggest taking at least six months of research. There's no hurry. Many deals that are available today will be available six months down the road. You can ask lots of questions on these boards that will get answered honestly by timeshare and travel veterans.

But first things first. Get on your rescission. Once you put your properly-signed letter in the mail, the developer has up to 45 days to refund you every penny you put down. It usually does not take that long but keep an eye on your credit card activity to watch for a refund.

4. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club at Marco Island, Hgvc Plantation Beach Club at Indian River, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort Key West, Blue Ridge Village
    Welcome to tug. By your post you know the answer Recind. You can get much more for much less. More important is to learn and research before you buy so you know what will work best for you.

5. tugcccsp

tugcccsp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MMOC Lahaina Villas
    MMOC Napili Villas
    Marriott Summit Watch
    Marriott Mountainside
    Welk-Escondido
    I bought one fixed week resale 2 years ago at Welk Escondido for $3000. It is 4th of July week every year. It is a nice resort, but I recommend buying resale. There is no charge for guest certificates.

6. jpc763

jpc763 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
    One thing to add. Consider joining TUG. It is the best $15 you can spend on your vacationing future!

TUGBrian and dayooper like this.
  7. dayooper

dayooper TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pending - HGVC Flamingo
    I second this. The $15 is well worth the money. Don’t just look at Welk. Take the time and rent units in other systems. Study the ins and outs. Once you join Tug, take a look at the reviews of the various resorts in the different systems.

Oh yeah, and welcome to Tug.

TUGBrian likes this.
  8. iPenguin02

iPenguin02 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Resort
    I actually paid prior to signing up to the forums. I figured why not, I read alot of useful information prior to signing it up. So why not support.

So I've faxed over and sent a copy view certified mail within the time frame. I haven't heard from them yet. Should i be worried. I used the template thats on TUG.

Panina and TUGBrian like this.
  9. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    No.

If you followed the instructions, they have no recourse but to cancel the purchase and rescind the contract.
    They are under no obligation to contact you.....and the statues will specify the time they have to complete the cancellation.

Congrats again.

10. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    Congratulations on executing your rescission. Give it a little time.

Glad to hear you became a member of TUG as well. The knowledge and insights available on this forum are outstanding. Keep researching and you will find the system that works best for your travel needs.

Best regards.

Mike